Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wooden flooring

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes it’s mental out there instead of holidays many are spending money on their property, I don’t know if I’m coming or going to be honest. I booked in 23 fuse board changes this morning I will fit them in somehow.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Photo below - please feel free to criticise my decorating.

View attachment 134961

Nice decorating.

But you've made me wonder whether my Lowry is truly an original like the bloke in the antique shop told me. ???

71z06cMgsQL.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We have just taken the plunge with luxury vinyl. I was a bit nervous but you really can't tell the difference, except it's more waterproof, insulating, hard wearing, etc.

Likewise in the conservatory with underfloor heating too - very pleased with it (eventually - the builders ****ed up the screeding first time around, we let the flooring company do it second time)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which part of Sussex are you?

We're Brighton.

We bought the oak boards ourselves and used the highly recommended services of a chippy from Eastbourne, who did a great job. He's £225/day I think at the moment.

Trustworthy, he just got on with it. He's always busy, he didn't drag it out to exploit being paid at a day rate.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We have just taken the plunge with luxury vinyl. I was a bit nervous but you really can't tell the difference, except it's more waterproof, insulating, hard wearing, etc.

Same, due to be fitted in about a month. I did stress tests on all our samples, hammer, blowtorch and solvent. As much as I love the feel of engineered or solid wood, the LVP was basically indestructible!

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I got myself Amtico fitted courtesy of Mr [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] himself over 3 years ago - still going strong here (and got a pack of slats left over to replace as he said, when they get damaged).

Really recommend Amtico/luxury vinyl - never had to worry about dodgy washing machine leaks or that sort of thing with these, and easy to take care of - especially with a little'un who doesn't understand keeping things on her plate.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Likewise in the conservatory with underfloor heating too - very pleased with it (eventually - the builders ****ed up the screeding first time around, we let the flooring company do it second time)

Out of interest what went wrong?

This is exactly what I'm having so would be good to know what the pitfalls are!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Out of interest what went wrong?

This is exactly what I'm having so would be good to know what the pitfalls are!

They tried to screed a new chipboard floor without putting plywood on it first and then priming it - the screed obviously didn't bond to the chipboard (which also had the electric UF heatmat attached to it), so the screed blew and had to be taken back up (ruining the heatmat as well obviously). The conservatory builders were supposed to leave the floor 'ready for flooring' - so they had to redo it and put down plywood and prime it. They were going to rescreed as well but I told them I wanted the flooring company to do it instead...............

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They tried to screed a new chipboard floor without putting plywood on it first and then priming it - the screed obviously didn't bond to the chipboard (which also had the electric UF heatmat attached to it), so the screed blew and had to be taken back up (ruining the heatmat as well obviously). The conservatory builders were supposed to leave the floor 'ready for flooring' - so they had to redo it and put down plywood and prime it. They were going to rescreed as well but I told them I wanted the flooring company to do it instead...............

That's not what you need is it :facepalm:

In that case mine's slightly different, it's a wet system so the screed goes over PIR insulation on a membrane. Needs to be pressurised when they screed otherwise it also blows!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
If I still lived in Sussex I'd be round on Monday. I've fit dozens and it's a piece of piss. Just need a mitre saw, hammer, the bent metal thing for wacking them in, jigsaw and a multi tool. For architrave bottoms it's nice to either saw or multi tool the bottom 8-10mm and slide underneath. Don't forget a decent underlay for heat or sound, depending on which floor. If possible remove the skirting as it leaves a nicer finish when put back than the beading quadrant people use.
Good Luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here