Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Should England go on to lose, thankfully I doubt there will be effigies of James hung in the East End as in DB's case.

And I hope she'll get an easier ride from the papers too.

mirror.jpeg

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
This England team is so short of the quality it had a year ago. I'm not convinced by Alessia Russo up front and it's frustrating to me that Rachel Daly is being used at left back/left wing back when she's pretty clearly the best number 9 in the squad. I think players like Hemp and Stanway have been below-par in the tournament.

Luckily, Mary Earps is one of the best goalkeepers in the women's game so we've got a chance of sneaking through on pens.

They're missing keys players from the Euro final, it's not a surprise we're not as free flowing as then, but I agree with the Russo/Daly conundrum. Russo and Toone were so much better as impact subs in the Euros, but it does show there is still a dearth of talent coming through the ranks. Lots of youngsters out there today and I'd say this was a squad much more geared for the Euros/WC in two or four years time, but we're still a good team.

Everyone is waxing lyrical about Nigeria, but they're a good strong, physical and organised side. They're no mugs.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Nigeria have not let us settle at all and have looked the better side. James sending off has just made it even harder - dont care how frustrating she'd found things theres no excuse for that. 30 mins of extra time is going to be so nervewracking! Can we do it????

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You know the ref/VAR has it right when everyone (England fans included) conclusively agrees that it should have been a red. Silly silly, silly...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Nigerians are physically stronger and play much more a "men's" game, in your face and we aren't handling it well. They are doing what it missing from the women's game. If all teams played with the aggression that they have shown the game would be a far better spectacle for those watching.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
England really just need to be sensible and play for pens. Obviously if the opportunity presents itself then great, but do nothing daft.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Bronze getting away with one there. Very clumsy.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
They're missing keys players from the Euro final, it's not a surprise we're not as free flowing as then, but I agree with the Russo/Daly conundrum. Russo and Toone were so much better as impact subs in the Euros, but it does show there is still a dearth of talent coming through the ranks. Lots of youngsters out there today and I'd say this was a squad much more geared for the Euros/WC in two or four years time, but we're still a good team.

Everyone is waxing lyrical about Nigeria, but they're a good strong, physical and organised side. They're no mugs.
Only really Williamson at the back and Beth Mead probably wouldn't be ahead of Lauren James, but she would be ahead of Lauren Hemp. I'm surprised that Toone hasn't had any minutes in this game but she's been underwhelming so far. There seems to be a real identity issue within the team. Nigeria have been excellent and have a very clear understanding what their game is about and how they're going to find success in the game.

Walsh and Stanway have been ineffective today. Bethany England must surely come on for Hemp and give us a focal point in the team.

Clear penalty for Nigeria for the foul by Bronze - would have been the second penalty given away fairly needlessly by Lucy Bronze in this tournament.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'd be fascinated to know what that's based on.
I'll reword it as it wasn't even clear to me!
The media has bumped up the England team so much, that when they come up against another team who outplay them and don't give them room to play well themselves, they have a few players who could get a bit uppity as they are WSL and England players and not a 'team like nigeria'...who have a host of girls playing in the top leagues

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have only been watching for 10 mins and am already shouting at England players to close the Nigerians down quicker as they advance on goal :smile:

Seems they listened to me

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have only been watching for 10 mins and am already shouting at England players to close the Nigerians down quicker as they advance on goal :smile:

Seems they listened to me
In a nutshell that's the difference between how Nigeria play and England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here