Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Women's Super League - Brighton v Everton (Sun 12.30 KO)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It is chalk and cheese to mens game and am amazed at that standard players are full time professionals.. I know one off games and internationals get good crowds but would like to ask those who follow do you think womens game will ever be able to stand on own feet with gates of 5k plus

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It is chalk and cheese to mens game and am amazed at that standard players are full time professionals.. I know one off games and internationals get good crowds but would like to ask those who follow do you think womens game will ever be able to stand on own feet with gates of 5k plus

I'm not a close follower of the women's game but I'm sure it could survive on 5K+ crowds.
The National League and League Two certainly manages to do so.

I don't think the mens and women's game should be compared, just like mens and women's cricket shouldn't be.
50% of the population are female and competitive football and cricket certainly has a place.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'm not a close follower of the women's game but I'm sure it could survive on 5K+ crowds.
The National League and League Two certainly manages to do so.

I don't think the mens and women's game should be compared, just like mens and women's cricket shouldn't be.
50% of the population are female and competitive football and cricket certainly has a place.

I know it could survive but wondered if there is enough interest for clubs to attract 5k gates. Appreciate cant compare and thats why it needs to attract a new audience

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I know it could survive but wondered if there is enough interest for clubs to attract 5k gates. Appreciate cant compare and thats why it needs to attract a new audience

With the new TV contract next season and plenty of games on BBC it will be seen by loads of youngsters.

If you can take a family of 4 for about £20 and the kids can get their faces painted, collect autographs, see their friends and get some fresh air, then it will be a great success.

Most of the fanbase won't be worried about the technical ability of the players.
They'll just want selfies and to show their support for their local team. Much like a lot of us.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The last woman's World Cup was brilliant I watched loads of games and was really looking forward to watching the Woman's Superleage and while some games have been competitive most games show the gulf between abilities within teams. It's going to take some years to bring the standards up to a competitive level

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Over here the clubs have always been standing on their own feet. 800-1000 average attendance per game for the last 20 years, of course some sponsorship and tiny tv deals but generally speaking those 800-1000 people were enough to make about 50% of the players in the league full time professionals. I see no reason why a country with a six times larger population shouldnt be able to get at least 3000 people to most games plus get decent tv deals and sponsorship money enough to make the league "stand on its own feet".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here