Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bill Burr has a brilliant bit about the WNBA being let down by women not attending matches. I won't post it, because it doesn't really capture the mood of celebration of the women's game, but he concludes by making comparison between the tiny number of women watching women's basketball and the massive numbers watching reality TV shows that involve women tearing each other to pieces. Its a point that's worth considering when insisting that anybody who watches the men's team is a sexist if they don't watch the women's game too.

For many reasons the quality of the women's game is not, as yet, at the same level and few of us criticise people who watch the Champions League but don't watch the FA Vase. Personally, I am someone who doesn't like pulling away from traffic lights if there is a corner being taken in a park game, so won't refuse to watch unless everybody is brilliant, but it does the women's game no favours for commentators to maintain a pretence that the quality is comparable. It's obviously apparent that it isn't and not acknowledging scrappiness and errors is patronising . The players are the first to know that unforced errors need to be minimised. Having said that, the quality has improved exponentially over the last decade.

Last night will hopefully be a big push for the women's grass roots game in England. Quality will improve with better coaching, but mainly through larger and larger levels of participation. History shows that there was an audience for women's football. Fear of competition for crowds was one motivation for the disgraceful ban that the FA put in place for so many years. For me, the danger ahead is the same as in the men's game. If Chelsea, Arsenal and the two Manchester teams continue to hoover up all of the best players, the competition will become as meaningless as the top of most of the Men's game's European leagues. Its a fine balance because larger resources have obviously been needed to improve the game, but the unregulated market that comes with them risks future growth and fair competition. As I indicated, I'd as happily watch non-league football as I would watch the Champions League, but I have no interest in watching a Champions League side playing every week against non league opposition.

Spot on post, this.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The England men pulling off their medals last year was one of the worst pieces of bad loser petulance I've ever seen. Hated them for it. They all gave us a great month of enjoyment that national spirits during the pandemic and we were proud of them, coming just short but giving us all something to be proud of and celebrate. I couldn't imagine doing the same, I want to relate to them and be inspired by them and commiserate with them, but that just left a horrible sour taste in the mouth.

They were trying to show that they ‘cared’, that second is ‘nowhere’, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it was pre-planned, it backfired massively and just made them look like the spoilt, uneducated pricks that a lot of them are.

I loved the sheer joy shown by that team last night. It felt pure, without an underlying agenda.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree completely. All this nonsense about the women succeeding where the men couldn't is just hot air. The women have won the women's Euros, a weaker competition even in its own terms than the men's equivalent. And that's great and we should all enjoy it and celebrate it for what it is. But nobody talks about, say, Serena Williams succeeding where Novak Djokovic failed because men's and women's tennis are recognised as being the same sport but different competitions. (Someone will now find a cutting that proves me wrong ...)
Two things: Firstly If England (men) had won the Euros there was already a fair bit of chuntering that the standard wasn't that good. England got to the final (and also the W.C. semi-final) on default, and even the German side they beat was the worst German side in 200 years etc. So even if we'd won last year we'd have won a 'weaker' competition. Especially as the Italians were no great shakes either.

And secondly, yes different competitions, same sport. Agreed. But as the song says, it's about 'Football coming home' with no reference to gender. So if we take the popular, but erroneous, interpretation that it's about winning, then yes, 'football' has come home. The wait is over and any future England (men's) triumph will have to acknowledge it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Unless women themselves start to support football by going week in, week out to support their local teams not much will change. It’s one thing to get all excited about a tournament final that’s being hyped up by the media, quite another to commit to supporting a team through the highs and lows.

I was chatting to some some women mates who were getting all jazzed up about yesterday’s match. I asked them which teams the England team have beaten to get to the final? Not a clue. I asked them who some of the England players play for on a club level?
Not a clue.

I have a feeling this will be like Wimbledon. Everyone’s a tennis fan for a fortnight.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The England men pulling off their medals last year was one of the worst pieces of bad loser petulance I've ever seen. Hated them for it. They all gave us a great month of enjoyment that national spirits during the pandemic and we were proud of them, coming just short but giving us all something to be proud of and celebrate. I couldn't imagine doing the same, I want to relate to them and be inspired by them and commiserate with them, but that just left a horrible sour taste in the mouth.

Absolutely this... sure (I'm sure) it hurt to lose, especially in the manner we did - but it set such a shitty example to young players especially - they ought to have been ashamed of themselves. Utterly dislikeable bunch of dicks, the whole lot of them.

My son was recently part of a junior team that won the under 9s tournament up in Alnwick... the team we beat in the final was part of the Cramlington Juniors setup, quite a significant Newcastle Utd feeder club around these parts... anyway, one of their players got his losers medal and immediately threw it on the ground and stomped off, prompting their coach to apologise on his behalf... then rest mimicked (perfectly) the England team (men's) reaction from the Euro final... I watched in disbelief as these young kids copied their so called heroes actions, in almost perfect synchronicity... afterwards, we spoke to our lads about losing with grace... For me it compounded just how pathetic that display of unprofessionalism was, and yes, it made me pretty angry.

Yesterday by comparison was a breath of fresh air, winning with excitement and delight but grace and even though the Germans lost, and they were clearly devastated, took their medals with the grace in which they were given.

This current bunch of overpaid bunch of ****wits will get no support from me, not unless a salary cap comes into place and the game is turned away from the voodoo economics that are literally eating the game from the inside.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Unless women themselves start to support football by going week in, week out to support their local teams not much will change. It’s one thing to get all excited about a tournament final that’s being hyped up by the media, quite another to commit to supporting a team through the highs and lows.

I was chatting to some some women mates who were getting all jazzed up about yesterday’s match. I asked them which teams the England team have beaten to get to the final? Not a clue. I asked them who some of the England players play for on a club level?
Not a clue.

I have a feeling this will be like Wimbledon. Every clamp’s a tennis fan for a fortnight.

fancy a game? I need a new doubles partner...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Some good points made but think pundits etc are getting carried away. This was the Euros where we have done very well. An occasion not week by week womens league football. Wright talks about more money going into womens game. You tell Bloom that after putting millions into training facilities ,tickets £5 and busing people to the ground for nothing. Because it was a big event Euros were great but after going to a couple of Albion womens games can assure you no comparison. OK for Wright to say get more people in ground but what else can you do. Will go to odd game but no way would I consider going to 2 games in a week and anyway could never show the same emotion to a game as the men after watching them for 25 years. It needs a new audience and hopefully many of Euro attendees will go to league games. On question of wages I am sure England squad will deservingly get very big bonuses but rightly this wont reflect lower down until crowds increase and more sponsors show interest.

Great result and a pretty good match. I enjoyed the second half.
Finding all this “it’s come home” and hysteria in the papers today a bit cringe. A great day for the Lionesses and very inspiring for women and girls everywhere but it hasn’t “come home” and everybody knows it hasn’t. It’s not home until our Men’s team win. Deep down, everyone knows that.

But well done ladies! Awesome achievement.

Absolutely this.

It's coming home is firmly attached to the men's game, that's the team most people support and associate with. The women's team is a different team, they should have their own thing. They don't need to latch on to the men's as it's meaningless. It hasn't come home and it won't do until England win a major tournament, not England women. A lot of the buzz is media generated. There is no one talking about this in my office today (which is by the way female dominated).

Yes there might be a few more at some of the opening women's games but it won't be long before it's back to a few hundred again. Sorry but I can't see this changing ever. The England woman have firmly put themselves on the map but I don't think this will translate into club football which is what will need to happen to get their game firmly off the ground.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
ooh I do love it when people get all unnecessarily confrontational. I'll answer all of your question, as it might calm your inner rage, or make you feel smug.

- I'm a season ticket holder at my local non-league team - think they get about £50 per game.

- yes to Sky/BT - it's part of my new contract with a new provider when i moved house. Not sure if i'll keep it, depends on the offer.

- yes i do watch football on free to air - though not that often.

and i'm certainly not protesting about the grotesque wages, just voicing an opinion. There are no banners being made here. I think the ladies should get more, and the men less. Simple.

Well my words may have been dramatic in your eyes but you're clearly unhappy with the wages at the top of the men's game. You contribute to it if you subscribe to sky sports. You contribute to it if you watch free to air (they have to pay for the rights).

And for the record, I'm not in rage. There are far more important things in life to get worked up about than a debate on a football forum.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Absolutely this.

It's coming home is firmly attached to the men's game, that's the team most people support and associate with. The women's team is a different team, they should have their own thing. They don't need to latch on to the men's as it's meaningless. It hasn't come home and it won't do until England win a major tournament, not England women. A lot of the buzz is media generated. There is no one talking about this in my office today (which is by the way female dominated).

Yes there might be a few more at some of the opening women's games but it won't be long before it's back to a few hundred again. Sorry but I can't see this changing ever. The England woman have firmly put themselves on the map but I don't think this will translate into club football which is what will need to happen to get their game firmly off the ground.

Well, the women in my office are talking about it... one of whom has a daughter who plays locally ... I assume you weren’t basing any sweeping generalisations (as others have) on one office alone ? Whilst I agree with the rest of your points, some of which btw, have been raised by the women I work with.

I mean wow! Who’d have thought it ?!?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the FA, UEFA, FIFA had balls (no pun intended) then the future of football would combine men and women in same team….the end of gender apartheid in football, simply a football team.

We would have to start with targeted quotas……like public companies have with minimum numbers of Women Directors on their Boards.

That will level the playing field instantly and open up the wealth of mend football to women…….job done.

Don’t forget, if fit enough women can now fight in front line units with the lads, I’m sure the lionesses would relish knocking the ball about with the men.

:fishing:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IMG-20220801-WA0001.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree completely. All this nonsense about the women succeeding where the men couldn't is just hot air. The women have won the women's Euros, a weaker competition even in its own terms than the men's equivalent. And that's great and we should all enjoy it and celebrate it for what it is. But nobody talks about, say, Serena Williams succeeding where Novak Djokovic failed because men's and women's tennis are recognised as being the same sport but different competitions. (Someone will now find a cutting that proves me wrong ...)

I don’t feel there’s value in comparison but, this generation of women have just won the European Championships and the men are yet to do so.

When you consider that the 2009 finalists were part timers, the women’s set up and team have come a long way despite investment dragging its heels.

I really want the men’s team to bring their trophy home too, and I hope that Southgate and co are sharing insights on what the women’s team did to achieve what they did. There will always be lessons in terms of mentality, coaching, fitness, team dynamics etc that can be shared.

And the idea that this is ‘media hype’ that too many are pushing is just balderdash. The whole premier league is built on media hype.

Change is coming. God knows we need it.

And for the dyed in the wool Albion fans that dream of days gone by, be careful, because all these families and ‘plastics’ might just look at the women’s game and think they fancy a bit of that. It would certainly, give everyone a bit more room in the stadium.

There’s room for everyone and every achievement. Perhaps, just perhaps, this is the smallest indication that there could be another fairer world we might live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
She thinks three lions was written 60 years ago?
Plus women sing it too. And have done since ‘96.

Poor effort.

Yup, that's the trouble with memes that get endlessly shared through the ether. The sentiment is usually laudable but the attention to detail is more often than not lamentable :lol:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Absolutely this.

It's coming home is firmly attached to the men's game
, that's the team most people support and associate with. The women's team is a different team, they should have their own thing. They don't need to latch on to the men's as it's meaningless. It hasn't come home and it won't do until England win a major tournament, not England women. A lot of the buzz is media generated. There is no one talking about this in my office today (which is by the way female dominated).

Might have been. But after 56 years the men have proved incapable of bringing it home and choked last year. The women are clearly made of stronger, sterner stuff. No shame in that lads!

Bit of perspective. Some women in the England squad earn in a year what the chokers in last year's final earn in a week.

Football has come home. And it belongs to the roaring Lionesses.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

:facepalm:

Why? The women won. The men choked.

Not sure why you are comparing male and female tennis players as they have parity in prize money. Do a bit of digging on top WSL players wages and the top EPL earners. You might be in for a shock!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:facepalm:

Why? The women won. The men choked.

Not sure why you are comparing male and female tennis players as they have parity in prize money. Do a bit of digging on top WSL players wages and the top EPL earners. You might be in for a shock!

Not really progressed very far if in praising one gender you have to put down the other.

It’s great the women’s team won. Why put the men’s team down?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Not a clue.

I have a feeling this will be like Wimbledon. Everyone’s a tennis fan for a fortnight.

Many of us do, Mr Clamp, many of us do.

There are more females on this board than you actually realise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here