Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Without Googling - what does Albion mean?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I was in the pub the other day when a woman I was sitting with asked me what the word "albion" meant, I realised I had never really thought about it, or bothered to find out.

I told her what I thought and then checked on Google and realised I was completely wrong.

Without checking Google did you know what it meant - or am I the only one blissfully unaware?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
England - I genuinely didn't know this until last year myself :down:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
All the above are correct, I incorrectly assumed it was similar to United, but I hadn't ever bothered to find out. I was a bit flummoxed when someone asked me.

Brighton and Hove Britain doesn't really make a lot of sense does it?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Was always told it was a name for England. At least that's how it was used in Shakespeare's work.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Isn't it from ancient Greek? I bet Gwylan may know - he's neither ancient nor Greek but wicked clever - I thought it came from ancient explorers seeing the white cliffs. Presumably albino shares the same etymology.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
"perfidious Albion" has long been a pejorative phrase used by other countries to describe treacherous and duplicitous acts by British governments. I've always thought it had a nice ring to it.
I expect we'll hear it used again in the coming months in the context of Cameron trying to find ways of getting special treatment for the UK in the EU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfidious_Albion

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't it something to do with pale faces, white hair and weird pink eyes ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not Stirling Albion then or Albion Rovers?

Never could understand that Albion Rovers thing - you don't get teams like City Rangers, or United Hotspurs. Why couldn't they just call themselves Coatbridge, or Coatbridge Rovers or something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here