Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withnail and I

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw it for the first time last night, what an absolute GEM of a film. No storyline to speak of, clearly not much of a budget to work with, but some of the most beautifully written, quirky lines of comedy I've heard this side of Tarantino, all the way through. Richard E. Grant (in his first film) is the most convincing drunk I've ever seen. Absolute top quality.

Buy iy. Its cheap.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It's one of those movies that actually gets funnier on subsequent viewings.

And curiously, is also better the rougher and more hungover you're feeling. I haven't figured out why though...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Two quid ? TWO QUID ? You can stuff it up your arse for NOTHING, and f*** OFF while you're doing it"

:lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Richard E. Grant (in his first film) is the most convincing drunk I've ever seen.

Ironic seeing as in 'real' life he is teetotal due to the fact that he has some kind of allergic reaction to alcohol (worth reading his autobiog 'With Nails'). Too many classic lines in that film to quote, but "I've got a bastard behind the eyes" is a CM fave amongst many. What took you so long to discover it Easy?

If you're wondering what Grant's doing now (apart from those Argos ads) watch the new(ish) weatherman on the BBC Six O'Clock News.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
What does he say when the old boy is trying to get in his bed, something like "Monty you ****" fantastic. And leaning out of the old Jag calling the schoolgirls whores - classic

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
"Don't be a fool Withnail, you should never mix your drinks"

Gets me every time. I lent my copy to someone a while ago and I don't think they've returned it yet. A bit of gentle persuasion is in order, I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Withnail and I

Cheeky Monkey said:
What took you so long to discover it Easy?
Just one of those films I've never quite got round to. It never seems to be on TV (unless I've missed it), but I kept on hearing how brilliant it was. So I thought "bollocks", saw it on Amazon for about £6 on Sunday night, got it delivered yesterday, and finally saw it last night. Well worth the wait.

Danny the drugged-up hippy is glorious in his stoned-out eloquence. "The spliff I am about to roll requires the touch of a craftsman".

:lolol: marvellous.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Grendel said:
"Don't be a fool Withnail, you should never mix your drinks"
Thats when Withnail's just downed a bottle of lighter fluid, and is demanding that 'I' tells him where his toolbox is. "I know you've got some antifreeze somewhere"

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stinky Kat said:
What does he say when the old boy is trying to get in his bed, something like "Monty you ****" fantastic. And leaning out of the old Jag calling the schoolgirls whores - classic
"Monty, you terrible C UNT"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Withnail and I

Easy 10 said:
Just one of those films I've never quite got round to. It never seems to be on TV (unless I've missed it), but I kept on hearing how brilliant it was. So I thought "bollocks", saw it on Amazon for about £6 on Sunday night, got it delivered yesterday, and finally saw it last night. Well worth the wait.

Danny the drugged-up hippy is glorious in his stoned-out eloquence. "The spliff I am about to roll requires the touch of a craftsman".

:lolol: marvellous.

The Camberwell Carrot?!!

:lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats the kiddy.
"The Camberwell Carrot. Camberwell, because I invented it in Camberwell. And carrot, because it is orange in colour. It requires twelve skins. My man in Mexico has provided me with the grass. It is grown at precisely 2,000 feet above sea level".

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Monty asking the Paul McGann character 'Are you a sponge or are you a carrot?'

Danny of course is played by Albion supporting Ralph Brown and is bloody scary when he takes his sunglasses off near the end.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Theatre of Trees said:
Monty asking the Paul McGann character 'Are you a sponge or are you a carrot?'

Danny of course is played by Albion supporting Ralph Brown and is bloody scary when he takes his sunglasses off near the end.

Ralph and Co are taking their Brighton Beach Boys project to the West Country this weekend - although I think he might only be playing in one of them.

www.brightonbeachboys.com

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Easy 10 said:
Saw it for the first time last night, what an absolute GEM of a film. No storyline to speak of, clearly not much of a budget to work with, but some of the most beautifully written, quirky lines of comedy I've heard this side of Tarantino, all the way through. Richard E. Grant (in his first film) is the most convincing drunk I've ever seen. Absolute top quality.

Buy iy. Its cheap.

!!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It is without a doubt one of the funniest film ever.

Your drunk. Nonsense officer Ive only had a few ales.

Ive been watching you boy, I must have you even if it must be burglary.

I think you have been punished enough its time to relieve you of the legume and transfer your talents to the meat.

You cant hit me Ive got a heart condition. It'd be murder.

Right we have to move fast three treble whiskies and two pints of cider. Ice in the Cider.

etc etc

PS the Paul McGann character name is Marwood. Although never mentioned in the film.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
magoo said:
Got it yesterday. It better be funny!

You will not be disappointed.

Empire magazine readers voted it in the Top 5 funniest films ever.

This is up alongside such greats as

Monty Python and The Life of Brian

This Is Spinal Tap

etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here