Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Zoo

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
It also hosted a Davis Cup match & many years ago, apparently, there was a debate between whether Wimbledon or Withdean should be the home of English tennis (not sure how true that last bit is - could be an (sub)urban myth).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The Goldstone hosted a match for the 1948 London Olympics football tournament - between those two giants of the game, Luxembourg and Afghanistan. Luxembourg won 6-0. I wonder what the attendance was...?

It's my fault that the Withdean tennis arena was demolished. When I was responsible for managing the shoppers' Monday to Saturday park and ride service, we needed more car parking spaces at Withdean to cope with the demand. So I persuaded Brighton Borough Council to demolish the tennis arena buildings and create a bigger parking area. In 1999, the football club were lucky that it had gone, because it would have had to be removed to create enough space for the South Stand turnstile area and the East Stand.

So much for heritage!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I remember going there a couple of times with my parents when I was a kid. More interested in the pedal cars ... they had a whole road layout for them and I had always dreamed of having one ... than the animals. I think they were located around where the west goal is now.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
With the Sportsman in the background

Judith_2Withdean004.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Of course here is a picture of the day 13,000 fans packed into the stadium.

Attachments

• brightonb52svsanfranciscocollegest4.jpg
    brightonb52svsanfranciscocollegest4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 254

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, Chicken Run: I remember watching the Brighton B52s at Withdean.

Imagine how John Catt would have felt if he'd had to deal with 13,000 fans on his doorstep instead of just 8,000.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
And one of Withdean before even the stand was built, famous railway bridge over Tongdean Lane in the background :

Attachments

• Site of Withdean Stadium.jpg
    Site of Withdean Stadium.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 135

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
And they even had pitch invasions back then too, ( site of South Stand in the background ) ..........

Attachments

• Sheep on the pitch.jpg
    Sheep on the pitch.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 122

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here