Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean was an age ago.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I had to think twice today, I cant believe that this time last year we were still at Withdean. Now only into our 7th month at our new home and it feels like we've been there ages. I do now and only now think that it feels like home.

Anyone else?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It has bedded in very quickly the Amex for me, love every minute there and cannot believe how I ever kept the endurance test of Withdean going - the only reason had to have been the love of the Albion.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It has bedded in very quickly the Amex for me, love every minute there and cannot believe how I ever kept the endurance test of Withdean going - the only reason had to have been the love of the Albion.

Wiv yu bruv innit :flameboun

Daughter been teaching me street talk LOL OMG.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I read somewhere today that the youth were training there? Not sure if it's a permanent arrangement or not

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I agree with this. While we were at Withdean, people always used to ask how I put up with it every week, and I never thought it was too bad. After all, it is essentially just sitting in a seat watching a game of football. But when I think back now, it really was f***ing dog shit wasn't it?

In the Summer it was alright but the Winter was just f***ing horrendous. There wasn't a single redeeming feature about the place on a cold November evening.

Jun 18, 2011
tunbridge wells
personally speaking it felt like home after the burnley game, the grit and determination of the lads and the way everybody bonded that day, to me made that my feels like home moment!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There wasn't a single redeeming feature about the place on a cold November evening.
Ah, but now you can browbeat, for years to come, those who were not there....

This day is call'd the feast of Withdean.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of 'Withdean'.

....Then shall their names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Kerry
the Ginger, Oatway and Butters,
Virgo
and Kuipers, Hammond and Harding and Carpenter-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red....

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That stood in line for chips with us upon that day.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Listening to one of the football podcasts - one of the bods was saying that the comeback against Tottingham was a seminal moment for the fans relationship with the stadium. I thought blimey - we have had two of those already - Doncaster and Burnley.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree with this. While we were at Withdean, people always used to ask how I put up with it every week, and I never thought it was too bad. After all, it is essentially just sitting in a seat watching a game of football. But when I think back now, it really was f***ing dog shit wasn't it?

I think my view was always a bit brighter because it took me about four minutes to get there. But yes, you're right, there was no 'matchday experience' whatsoever. Now I look forward to the EVENT that is going to The Amex more than I look forward to the football itself.

All of this.

Will carry a memory of Withdean with me for life - jumped up when Virgo scored that equaliser against Swindon and took a small lump out of the back of my calf on those crap seats. Scarred for life - but worth it.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
You know the sentimental thing here as that I first took my son to Withdean at the age of 5 (him not me) to see us beat Hull 3-1, he is now nearly 18 now and Withdean was all he knew. He has nothing to compare against and I often sound like my Dad harping back to the good old Goldstone day's. We beat spurs you know (3-1 I think) and I was dragged off my milk crate by the surge and never found it again. Some bloke picked me up and held me up for most of the 2nd half so I could see the game (probably a kiddie fiddler). My Dad was elsewhere in the ground with his mates having a crafty smoke (he thought we couldn't see him.

Kids today are spoilt with The Amex and I make sure he knows it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here