Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Crowds

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I also think that, when a big game comes along, there are potential fans who believe they won't get a ticket.

As for the discrepancy in the ticets sold and the attendance, I think there are a fair number of STH who live some way from Brighton and cannot make midweek games.

The awful weather on tues/Weds anong with Granny Wethericks forcast would also have put some off.

"If you build it, they will come." It's being built, the crowds WILL come.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
couldn't buy tickets online for this game.

also, price is a factor. Football League clubs have the option to do 3 £10 games a season I believe. When they ran these under Wilkins, we sold out comfortably.

Bloom doesn't seem to want to be so charitable with ticket price, but who knows, that might change for next season (wont hold my breath though)

also, price is a factor. Football League clubs have the option to do 3 £10 games a season I believe. When they ran these under Wilkins, we sold out comfortably.

Bloom doesn't seem to want to be so charitable with ticket price, but who knows, that might change for next season (wont hold my breath though)

I agree price must be a factor, however the fan would just pick & choose their games surely? None of our league games have attracted an 8000 crowd yet this season, so it must be down to other factors primarily.
Prices are not going to be any cheaper at Falmer either?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

That is not true though. We only had one 8,000+ attendance under Wilkins and that was against Leeds. So certainly was not a £10 game. When were these £10 games? I remember a few in the cups, not any league games.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is not true though. We only had one 8,000+ attendance under Wilkins and that was against Leeds. So certainly was not a £10 game. When were these £10 games? I remember a few in the cups, not any league games.

Correct I do not recollect any "cheap" £10 home league games ever at Withdean.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
The ground holds 8800, there were even 50 or so in the 200 seat? 'closed' v block, the south was almost totally full, the away end was and so was the north, a few spaces in the family stand and w, so tell me where were the 1,600 empty seats (they don't count kids for a quid in the crowd figures admittedly), I guess the real crowd figure was around 8200. Anyone have large blocks of empty seats near them?

That would be about right,only those that come through the turnstiles get logged on the attendance counter,so those that walk straight through gate 21 as comps do not get counted.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing

Gillingham at home - Crowd: 6,836

but, there were virtually no away supporters (they still had to pay £20) and the game got postponed and the rearranged fixture was moved to a school night so the kiddy stand was empty

Might be wrong, but i think the game against Port Vale was as well

Again, no away supporters

the south stand was definitely full on both occassions, as it was last night.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Correct I do not recollect any "cheap" £10 home league games ever at Withdean.

Gillingham definitely happened as i took a few friends a long who don't usually go and they were impressed because we were quite good! and i remember the gills fans kicked off because they still had to pay full price.

Gillingham definitely happened as i took a few friends a long who don't usually go and they were impressed because we were quite good! and i remember the gills fans kicked off because they still had to pay full price.

So even if the club reduced ticket prices to
£10 it shows that it would be loss making, as the few extra fans that would turn up would not cover for a lower crowd paying full whack!

I know a lot of people who used to go to the Goldstone, or have only casually followed the Albion who fully intend to go to Falmer when it is built. I am sure a lot of other people are the same, so 7,000 people with say 3 friends who are gonna jump on the bandwagon means we sell out, for the first season at least.

Ticket prices at Falmer will be at least £25; if you think we are going to sell the place out for the first season then you are deluded.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So even if the club reduced ticket prices to
£10 it shows that it would be loss making, as the few extra fans that would turn up would not cover for a lower crowd paying full whack!
From memory that Gillingham game sold out, but was postponed. The reduced attendance was for the re-arranged game.

I didn't go on Thursday for a number of reasons.

1 - Ticket prices are still too high and there's no reduction for families (when all are over sixteen).

2 - The weather forecast wasn't that good and I am quite literally a 'fairweather fan'. I am not going to sit (any more) on a plastic seat in the open air when it's pissing down with rain or freezing cold. I'm not even prepared to take the chance.

3 - It is 'difficult' to get tickets. I appreciate that 'difficult' is a subjective term but they weren't available on-line and I simply can't be arsed to pick up the phone knowing that I might have to sit in a queue. And then I can't be arsed to queue to pick up tickets at the ground and then queue to get in. And I certainly can't be arsed to go to the club ticket office. I appreciate that some people might think I'm bone-idle but there you go, that's just me. If I'd really wanted to go to the game of course I'd have done all that, but that brings me to a slightly stupid fourth reason:

4 - I'd already seen us beat Southampton this season and I didn't want my memory of that win spoilt!

If the game had been at Falmer I might well have gone as the weather wouldn't be a factor and I could use the travel vouchers, thus getting some additional value out of my ticket and reducing the 'football' element of the cost.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Ticket prices at Falmer will be at least £25; if you think we are going to sell the place out for the first season then you are deluded.

So are you party to this info and is it a fact?

I would hope that, with 22,000 seats to sell, there might be some more imaginative pricing. There will certainly be areas in the ground where the view will be 'less good' than others and, hopefully, these can be offered at a more affordable price.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So many people say they used to watch them (yes "them" not "us") at the Goldstone, Withdean is crap so I won't go there, and I'll go when they (yes "they" not "we") get to Falmer. Let's see.

Price has to be a major factor and I think a lot of the stay aways last paid full price when we were at the Goldstone and won't/can't pay over £20 for a ticket or £60? to take their family.

The fan base seems to have reduced with some "fans" only going when they get a free/reduced price ticket.

We need a successful team/decent opposition to fill Falmer and I know of current STH who will pay per match at Falmer because it works out cheaper - they always miss a few games each season because of holidays, weather, illness, etc

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was off skiing, would imagine i wasn't the only person on holiday!

Attendance Figures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the question was posed to Insider....................

Prior to the Soton game the ticket office advised that there were about 150 tickets left for the game, yet the official attendance showed about 1000 empty seats. There's a thread on this on the main forum but is there a reason why the official attendance never seems to match the number of tickets sold for big games? Some have speculated that kids paying a quid aren't included in the figures, is that right? Grateful if you can shed any light on this...

Thanks!

And the response.....................

Some ticket holders do not attend.

However, it seems strange to me that in the Southampton game more than a 1000 didn't attend & all the empty seats were in the same area being family stand lower tiers, the stand next to it & the little stand (completely empty) next to the disabled section.

So it seems highly questionable that the club did actually sell out!

Average Home League crowd in 2008/09 - 6,092
Average Home League crowd this season - 6,391

UP 4.9 per cent

And last season was UP 2.6 per cent, compared with the previous season.

Not bad in a recession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here