Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With all this Southamton chatter...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In all seriousness, I think that perhaps it is us that remind people of Reading.

- Shiny new stadium
- Upturn in fortune on the pitch, rising to a level not seen for a decade or two.
- Lots of new, or newly un-lapsed, fans.

Stealing/buying the best players from your rivals

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is what I never really understood about the Southampton tools on here over the past season, specifically the ones forever prattling on about how they don't care about us.

Yes, yes, yes we don't care about YOU either in a true rivalry sense, but the extra spice is all part of the fun. Southampton is a game that, by and large, most Albion fans will look forward to owing to recent events and most Southampton fans suggesting the same is not the case the other way round is a LIAR.

Nope for me its the same as Boro away or anyone else come to thinkof it other than the Palace. Last year was just a bit of banter but thats it.

I for one will not be carrying on and blah blah blahing about stains, adkins etc.

Its Palace and Palace ONLY.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Quite. The sort of club who will lay claim with pride to introducing the idea of playing PIGBAG immediately after a home goal is scored.

I would be willing to bet that somewhere, deep inside the Madejski Stadium, in a modern office overlooking the pitch (filled with photographs of Trevor Senior and posters reading things like "There Is No I In Team"), there exists a Reading FC marketing man named Clive, who wears South Park ties and owns a copy of The Best Embarrassingly Shit Noddy Goal Music In The World, EVER!. I can quite imagine the trembling anticipation each time Noel Hunt scuffs one in from three inches out and Clive, Clive alone, has the power to decide whether which tune carries the appropriate degree of resonance and gravitas to share the moment with the Reading fans.

Will it be Pigbag? Will it be Song 2? Tom Hark or Chelsea Dagger? Such choice! Such FUN!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Happy to let Palace do the double over us if we can do the double over Southampton in return and yes I know I'm the only one who thinks like this. And yes I was there back in the 1970s.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Whenever and wherever we sing "Worst support we've ever seen"

I always add ............. except Reading to myself.

Their fans are quieter even than Watford, and even most of the sad types that watch MK Dons can claim to have been following their side longer than most Reading fans can.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
The game was live on TV and the cameras decided to highlight the West Country Seagulls when the extra time board was raised. We all looked like we were about to have heart failure! Then when the final whistle went they filmed us dancing. I still have the recording now. I played it at a staff meeting to show the other side of me and everyone was quite astounded!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember Reading had a brilliant, entertaining side in 1994 & 1995. Almost got back to back promotions to go into the Premier League. Finished 2nd in the second tier (equivalent to the Championship) and still didn't get promoted. Mark McGhee and Jimmy Quinn's handiwork.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Quite. The sort of club who will lay claim with pride to introducing the idea of playing PIGBAG immediately after a home goal is scored.

Pigbag, ugh worse instrumental I've ever heard. The 1996 remix was even more shocking.

As for Southampton, I hope they draw a similarity with the Reading team of 1994/95; great start to the season, Premier League football looking likely with a second promotion in a row, only to cock it up in the dying moments!.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
I remember Reading had a brilliant, entertaining side in 1994 & 1995. Almost got back to back promotions to go into the Premier League. Finished 2nd in the second tier (equivalent to the Championship) and still didn't get promoted. Mark McGhee and Jimmy Quinn's handiwork.

... and partially thanks to streamlining of the league in which the Prem was cut from 22 to the 20 team format we have today. Still stand my ground from my previous post though. Because of how they stole off and ate into us.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I loved our 2-1 victory at their place.

Smashing atmosphere. A rare Paul Kitson run out and an even rarer goal. Two goal lead. Late Cureton belter and then hanging on for dear life.

2-1 to the Champions. 2-1 to the Champions... :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

Just to clarify....I'm pretty certain the 2-1 win at Reading was in the Championship, the following season. The title winning season was 3-1 at ours and 0-0 at theirs with OGH's late goal ruled out. I really thought we were going to stay up after that win at the Mad Stad but I think we lost the next home game ( Preston ? ) and just missed out. Also seem to remember that Reading were at Stoke on the final day. If Stoke lost and we won, we stayed up.
Stoke won 1-0, we only drew and went down.....Thanks Reading!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Re the 2-1 win at Reading in 2002-2003
The referee got injured during the game and was substituted at half-time by the 4th official, Clive Penton. Given that Clive Penton lived in Woodingdean, I'm surprised that he was involved, in any way, in officiating at a Brighton match.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I f***ing HATE Reading.

In fact I might go so far as to say they are the scalp I'd most like to take (after the obvious) in this division.

Hope we smash them to pieces home and away.

NOTHING CLUB IN A NOTHING TOWN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here