Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With all this Southamton chatter...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
...does anyone remember READING around 2001-2002?

Another reasonably local team not quite as good as the Champions. The main difference of course is that they took full advantage of our inferior financial clout and knicked our manager and most prolific (loan) player.

I still don't like them very much and would be delighted to see their clackstick bashing gimps in division 3 along with Portsmouth as quickly as possible.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I f***ing loved how we smashed them that season.

The 3-1 at Withdean was one of my favourite games.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I loved our 2-1 victory at their place.

Smashing atmosphere. A rare Paul Kitson run out and an even rarer goal. Two goal lead. Late Cureton belter and then hanging on for dear life.

2-1 to the Champions. 2-1 to the Champions... :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

I had a daft Reading fan as a hockey team mate and he would always tell me how much better they were than us, despite taking just a solitary point from us that season and finishing runners up. He was a classic Reading fan. They didn't even register with him until they got a new stadium.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I f***ing loved how we smashed them that season.

The 3-1 at Withdean was one of my favourite games.
Steve Melton. Thrike. :thumbsup:

Didn't we win the league by a tidy 6 points or something. The only annoying thing about that season was that Brentford didn't beat them on the last game of the season. Well, that and OGH's last minute "winner" at Stadio Della Clackerstick being wrongly chalked off.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
...does anyone remember READING around 2001-2002?

Another reasonably local team not quite as good as the Champions. The main difference of course is that they took full advantage of our inferior financial clout and knicked our manager and most prolific (loan) player.

I still don't like them very much and would be delighted to see their clackstick bashing gimps in division 3 along with Portsmouth as quickly as possible.

Good comparison to the Saints now, that's the way I feel about both - extra needle, but not in the same league as Palace.

Of course there are a lot less of the clackstick-bashing gimps at the Madejski these days, which can't be levelled at Southampton.

It does make you count your blessings this season. As if getting up with the new stadium wasn't enough, to have so many nearby fixtures is superb.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In all seriousness, I think that perhaps it is us that remind people of Reading.

- Shiny new stadium
- Upturn in fortune on the pitch, rising to a level not seen for a decade or two.
- Lots of new, or newly un-lapsed, fans.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Smashing atmosphere. A rare Paul Kitson run out and an even rarer goal. Two goal lead. Late Cureton belter and then hanging on for dear life.

I had a daft Reading fan as a hockey team mate and he would always tell me how much better they were than us, despite taking just a solitary point from us that season and finishing runners up. He was a classic Reading fan. They didn't even register with him until they got a new stadium.

Was that the night game when Brooker and Zamora scored that cheeky goal? Loved it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good comparison to the Saints now, that's the way I feel about both - extra needle, but not in the same league as Palace.
This is what I never really understood about the Southampton tools on here over the past season, specifically the ones forever prattling on about how they don't care about us.

Yes, yes, yes we don't care about YOU either in a true rivalry sense, but the extra spice is all part of the fun. Southampton is a game that, by and large, most Albion fans will look forward to owing to recent events and most Southampton fans suggesting the same is not the case the other way round is a LIAR.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You and Reading. Edna K and Harry Redknapp. Me and our potential attendances!

:thumbsup:
They are tin pot village clackerstick bashing gimps and now that we've got a better ground and gates than them once again, it'll be pleasing to LORD it over this crummy little outfit soon enough.

Was that the night game when Brooker and Zamora scored that cheeky goal? Loved it.
Yes, yes it was.

Wasn't Zamora actually off-side when he scored? I seem to remember a very pleasing injustice somewhere along the line, not unlike Zamora booting the ball out the Cheaterfield keeper's hands at Saltergate in a 2-0 win in our second championship season. Karma. :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Yes! I am sure that is on youtube somewhere. I completely missed that and had to watch the replay after the game in the concourse. I was looking elsewhere, waiting for play to restart and then the stand erupted.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In all seriousness, I think that perhaps it is us that remind people of Reading.

- Shiny new stadium
- Upturn in fortune on the pitch, rising to a level not seen for a decade or two.
- Lots of new, or newly un-lapsed, fans.

I can see why people think that, and to some extent it's true. But we had a lot more fans than Reading to start with, even if many gave Withdean a swerve (and who can blame them). Not only that, but you can tell even from the songs we sing there is a past, and some heritage. Reading haven't got any songs like that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes! I am sure that is on youtube somewhere. I completely missed that and had to watch the replay after the game in the concourse. I was looking elsewhere, waiting for play to restart and then the stand erupted.

A Friday night? Remember Krispies climbing into the drivers cabin on the train to ask them to stop at Haywards Heath as it was the last train from Gatwick we could get lol

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can see why people think that, and to some extent it's true. But we had a lot more fans than Reading to start with, even if many gave Withdean a swerve (and who can blame them). Not only that, but you can tell even from the songs we sing there is a past, and some heritage. Reading haven't got any songs like that.
Quite. The sort of club who will lay claim with pride to introducing the idea of playing PIGBAG immediately after a home goal is scored.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

The main thing I remember from that game weirdly (apart from Kitson scoring) was when the fourth official put up the board to say 5 - yes FIVE minutes of added time which I spent the next 6 minutes ranting about!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
[yt]ZUlJ-5t4x0E[/yt]

No. 59 - Chesterfield 5.20
No. 62 - Reading @ Home 5.38

[MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] - It was Paul Brooker that scored, not Bobby.

A Friday night? Remember Krispies climbing into the drivers cabin on the train to ask them to stop at Haywards Heath as it was the last train from Gatwick we could get lol

:lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The main thing I remember from that game weirdly (apart from Kitson scoring) was when the fourth official put up the board to say 5 - yes FIVE minutes of added time which I spent the next 6 minutes ranting about!!!

Yes, I remember being astonished by the amount as there didn't seem to be much/any stoppages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here