Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Winning a trophy

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a national competition, but not a major one.

It definitely appeared to be major at the time. Brighton 1910 - Champions of England.

Otherwise that's like saying Nottm Forest and Villa's European Cup wins aren't major, because that format is dead now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Otherwise that's like saying Nottm Forest and Villa's European Cup wins aren't major, because that format is dead now.
Oo good analogy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It definitely appeared to be major at the time. Brighton 1910 - Champions of England.

Indeed.

They've included Newcastle's FAIRS CUP win, FFS. There is absolutely no chance that was a bigger deal at the time, than the 1910 CS.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Except the former was a one-off charity match which few would have cared about. (Looks up attendance: 13,000)

The other was Europe's biggest football tournament , featuring the best teams team in the continent, broadcast around the world, and in living memory (for some of us).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Except the former was a one-off charity match which few would have cared about. (Looks up attendance: 13,000)

The other was Europe's biggest football tournament , featuring the best teams team in the continent, broadcast around the world, and in living memory (for some of us).

I'm not comparing the two tournaments as like for like. I'm saying the argument that the format has changed shouldn't diminish how important the accolade was at the time. Winning that game made us the Champions of England. That's a worthwhile achievement.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
We should def try and win a major honour in next 80 odd years. Cant live off the Charity Shield glory into a 3rd century !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thought we won The Jewish Chronicle Trophy in the 70's?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I'm not comparing the two tournaments as like for like. I'm saying the argument that the format has changed shouldn't diminish how important the accolade was at the time. Winning that game made us the Champions of England. That's a worthwhile achievement.

Has anyone argued that a format change has diminished the importance of the Charity Shield?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone argued that a format change has diminished the importance of the Charity Shield?

Well, it has. If there was still such a thing as a southern and a national league (and therefore no Prem, obviously), and at the end the two Champions of the two respective big national leagues played each other to see who champions of England are, that would be seen as a huge deal. The biggest game of the year, surely?

I mean, that's literally the same set up as the Superbowl in the US.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Well, it has. If there was still such a thing as a southern and a national league (and therefore no Prem, obviously), and at the end the two Champions of the two respective big national leagues played each other to see who champions of England are, that would be seen as a huge deal. The biggest game of the year, surely?

I mean, that's literally the same set up as the Superbowl in the US.

Oh, come on. The Superbowl is the ultimate prize every team and player is competing for all season, watched by most of the country. It's the end goal.

In 1910, football teams were competing to win their respective leagues. The shield was a bolt-on, one-off match for charity which drew a piss-poor attendance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh, come on. The Superbowl is the ultimate prize every team and player is competing for all season, watched by most of the country. It's the end goal.

In 1910, football teams were competing to win their respective leagues. The shield was a bolt-on, one-off match for charity which drew a piss-poor attendance.

EDIT - Duplicate post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I don't think you read what I've said. If we NOW had two big national leagues, and there was only one game to decide who was the Champion of England each year, that would be a massive game, wouldn't it?

You said has changing the format diminished it, I'm saying clearly it has, given how huge a game like that would be nowadays - it would be the end goal of the season, as you confirm the Superbowl is.

*Waits for you to change the goalposts again, or (deliberately?) misconstrue my points again.*

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Apologies, I missed out a couple of words.

"Has anyone argued that a format change has diminished the importance of the Charity Shield?" - is what you said. I responded by saying that it has, and gave pretty good examples.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here