Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 8 or a tablet?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That's actually probably good advice. Simply, I don't know what I can't do on a tablet, and I don't know whether I'll like the keyboard either.

I've got Windows 7 at the moment, but just feel that if I'm going to be forced into getting a new machine, should I be looking to upgrade, rather than just getting a faster version of what I already own.

If you're certain you don't need a laptop, and so far it sounds as though you don't need both.
Go for a decent, large Android tablet but do also opt for the optional/wireless keyboard if possible.
No one on this Earth has the patience to write emails/blogs/NSC on a daily basis using only touch-screen!

-- If you're adamant on sticking with Windows, stay with 7.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can it run non-Google software?

I don't know. The website is pretty vague. There' the chroma app store, which I would assume has third party apps. It syncs with android phones or tablets, but the way it's worded that might rely on chrome being the browser of choice on those androids....

Just found "you can access and run software stored on any of your other computers, securely over the Internet" seems to suggest you can't install it, but can run it if you network the chromebook to a computer with it installed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can it run non-Google software?

its basically using the browser as the OS/GUI (we should be using term "Operating Environment" really, but no one has since 90's). so any web based software will run on it, but nothing local.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't know. The website is pretty vague. There' the chroma app store, which I would assume has third party apps. It syncs with android phones or tablets, but the way it's worded that might rely on chrome being the browser of choice on those androids....

Just found "you can access and run software stored on any of your other computers, securely over the Internet" seems to suggest you can't install it, but can run it if you network the chromebook to a computer with it installed.

Thank you for clarifying.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Win 8 is still in development as a software with loads of new apps in development, but make no mistake that is the future and where windows are invested time and money. Not Win7.

Have you actually USED it? It's a cumbersome clumsy mess without a touchscreen, they seem to have forgotten the vast, vast majority of PC users use a mouse. Win7 remains the better choice and will do for some time to come.

Re. Keyboards - no touchscreen keyboard is ever going to feel as nice as a standard keyboard to type on, and will make typing out a long Poyet Out rant much more of a hassle (this could be seen as a positive or a negative).

Tablets also wont run the full version of Football Manager and most struggle to handle office documents well.

Windows 7 > Windows 8 > Tablet

Laptop > Tablet.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
its basically using the browser as the OS/GUI (we should be using term "Operating Environment" really, but no one has since 90's). so any web based software will run on it, but nothing local.

I take it that it has a 3G sim slot, then....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Re. Keyboards - no touchscreen keyboard is ever going to feel as nice as a standard keyboard to type on, and will make typing out a long Poyet Out rant much more of a hassle (this could be seen as a positive or a negative).
And this is THE most important point for a Brighton hater.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is there a specific keyboard that makes random words appear in capitals?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Withdean Wanderer was actually looking for something with a keyboard that has an automatic 'Gus Poyet Out' key.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Withdean Wanderer was actually looking for something with a keyboard that has an automatic 'Gus Poyet Out' key.

Oh man, the NSC Tablet with keyboard is a wonderful idea...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Also worth mentioning BlueStacks which lets you play Google Play apps on Mac OS X and Windows. Bizarre!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here