Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Win 98 and a data stick!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
HELP ME PLEASE!

I'm trying to get programme that is only 62mb from an old basic windows 98 machine to a new all singing dancing pc. But because the old machine has no cd-rw or zip drive (plus floppies are too small) the only way I can think of getting the data over is by using a data stick, but low and behold the old machine does not have any drivers and I can't seem to be able to find them on the internet.

Is it just a case of finding the driver on the web, plugging in the data stick and adding new hardware?

Please help I'm buggered without this info and its doing me head in! :down:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
do both machines have an ethernet port?
if so you could use a crossover cable and set up a home network for file sharing .

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
there is a network wizard in the control panel of windows which will set the network up for you all you need is to find out if you have the ethernet cards. I have a crossover cable you could borrow if it is justy these files you want to move

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Caveman said:
Oh their's a thought, it is a shit load of data though in various folders. I have a Gmail account, but I think i'd be forever attaching the folders to send?

I think Gmail's limit is 10MB per email so just split it into 6ish chunks email it to yourself and reassemble at the other end.
If you zip each chunk then you only have to attach the one zipped folder and not all the individual files. In fact you may get away with less than 6 once they're zipped.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ned said:
do both machines have an ethernet port?
if so you could use a crossover cable and set up a home network for file sharing .
Would be the easiest way. Just give poth ethernet ports an IP adress, plug in a crossover and FTP it accross. 3CDaemon is good FTP software and it's free.

1066gull

Windows 98, those were the days when I went to the farm early to go on our only PC and spend hours listening the the dialing of dial up and playing Need for Speed:lolol: :lol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here