Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon crowds are essentially twats: Discuss

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
in that case I think we may have played you at some stage in the winter league. I am in control of the teams and although I didn't play you may remember the big Manc called Mark? (bald head and about 6ft3)

Yes that was our thirds against your thirds I believe, but I didnt play in that match, so I wasnt there

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Many years ago, a relative of mine ( a local builder in Wimbledon ) owned the land that the All England Lawn Tennis Club stood on. After a number of years of paying rent to him, they approached him with an offer to buy him out.
You've guessed it !...He decided to sell !!!!!!
Oh, if only the pages of history could be turned back.
As far as the tennis tournament is concerned, I believe that it is in the same category as Royal Ascot and Henley i.e It is as much ( if not more ) a social event as a sporting event. That still doesn't detract from the enjoyment I have always got from the 2 weeks and very few sporting events could match the following :-
1) Borg v Gerulaitis 1977
2) Borg v McEnroe 1980
3) Federer v Nadal 2008
The one change I would make to the game of tennis would be to reduce the number of serves from two to one.
This would stop the mens game being dominated by 6ft 7inch giants with booming serves and allow the smaller " all court players " to come to the fore.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I woukd nationalise it, shoot a few of the old buffers and probably have most the GB players flogged as an example, to make sure players were entering for the right reasons.

In a few years once its got its shit together I would privatise it, but public shareownership would be distributed wide.:rant::rant:

:D

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have never even bothered trying to get Wimbledon tickets. Is it possible for mere mortals to get them without waiting for five years to be voted in as a member of East Blatchington Lawn Tennis Club (or insert name of club here) before being entered into a secret Masonic ballot by aforementioned local lawn tennis club and then finding out that you've either failed or have got tickets for Court 245 at Wimbledon... three weeks after the Championships have ended? As for Centre Court tickets - do you have to sleep with Sir Cliff? I presume the only other option is being ripped off by Ticketmaster.

Anyone? :)

Get your facts right. You need a stamped addressed envelope and the personal organisatioanl skills to apply for the ballot at the prescribed time and then, like me you might get ladies final tickets as I did last year or mens quarter tickets this and then you'd get a sense of what superb athletes tennis players are - much better than some of the crap served up at Withdean in recent years.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's looking increasingly like tomorrow will be the first day the new Centre Court roof is used due to rain.

You can tell the BBC are already deeply excited about that prospect, while I can't even begin to imagine how thrilling the Centre Court crowd will find it, given how much enjoyment they get out of something as mundane as a verminous bird landing on the turf.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's looking increasingly like tomorrow will be the first day the new Centre Court roof is used due to rain.

You can tell the BBC are already deeply excited about that prospect, while I can't even begin to imagine how thrilling the Centre Court crowd will find it, given how much enjoyment they get out of something as mundane as a verminous bird landing on the turf.

Just reading that post makes me feel ill.

The roof comes out, accompanied by a huge "Ooo-ooooh" from the crowd, a round of applause, and a Mexican wave.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Playing on GRASS? What's that all about?

Every other world class tennis tournament is played on a surface that has been prepared for the specific purpose of making the sport recognisably the same game wherever it is played. Champions are champions because they are the best players in the world.

Only in England do we prepare a surface that harks back to the days of country house gardens, tended by aged retainers who knew more about roses and compost than topspin.

World class players fail at Wimbledon, because they can't adjust to the playing surface. If that happened in any other major sport, we'd be ashamed. We'd be demanding changes. But not at Wimbledon. We pin all our hopes of British success on the possibility that Johnny or Hannah Foreigner might not be able to "adjust to grass".

This is WRONG.
I'm sure you're just taking the piss but everything you say about playing tennis on grass is why I like it. The whole point about having championships on grass courts as well as clay, shale, hardcourt, indoor carpet, etc is that the best players can adapt to all of those surfaces. The game varies according to the surface it's played on.

You say 'world class players fail at Wimbledon' but you could equally say 'world class players fail at Roland Garros because it's not on grass'

And the fact that it harks back to the day of country house gardens reminds us that it is a game, a sport to be enjoyed, not just a business. If only the major football competitions still had that feel, then we'd still have multiple FA cup replays, proper tackling and much less diving and gamesmanship to put up with during the winter months.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
having just seen the 'Murray Magic' hats on two overweight middle class women in the crowd I'm moving more and more towards agreeing whole-heartedly with the original statement...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Having got 2 centre court tickets through the public ballot we were at Wimbledon on Saturday to see Murray's third round match. My comment on the Wimbledon crowd is I wish we could generate that enthusiasm at withdeam. They may not have the chants of a football crowd but they know how to create an atmosphere.

I would also say the Wimbledon is very well organised with superb catering facilties for all tastes. Alcohol on sale everywhere and you can take it into the courts with you. Food from sandwiches to a full meal. I also hope that public transport, park & ride are done as well when we get to Falmer.

Finally if you want to see some lovely women then SW19 is the place to be

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
having just seen the 'Murray Magic' hats on two overweight middle class women in the crowd I'm moving more and more towards agreeing whole-heartedly with the original statement...

check out these nerds:tosser:, kind of vindicates everything Edna has said.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• _45988649_murrayfans_466getty.jpg
    _45988649_murrayfans_466getty.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 123

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here