Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon crowds are essentially twats: Discuss

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For many reasons, but here are some you may wish to consider:

1) They don't sing or shout like fans of proper sports, instead they do that appalling "Murray!" clap clap clap "Murray!" clap clap clap thing that eight year old girls do while watching their classmates play netball

2) Aorangi Terrace (or Henman Hill/Murray Mount to give it it's embarrassing BBC nickname): why do the people sitting on it feel the need to stand and give a big two handed wave every time the camera cuts to them? It's like watching a non-league side playing a 'giant'- say, Southend- in the first round of the cup, where their fans are so excited by the prospect of being on TV they just can't help themselves and gesticulate frantically at the cameras every time there's a corner

3) The spectators on Centre Court who STILL think it's funny to wait until the crowd have just about stopped cheering a point in a game between Andy Murray and just about anyone, before shouting out wittily "COME ON TIM!" :tosser:

I think the above just about covers it for me.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It's like watching a non-league side playing a 'giant'- say, Southend- in the first round of the cup, where their fans are so excited by the prospect of being on TV they just can't help themselves and gesticulate frantically at the cameras every time there's a corner

I don't think you can level that accusation only at fans of non-league teams, granted that it is pretty exciting to get to the first round of the cup, even fans of Premiership clubs can be seen doing it on MOTD...plus the occasional old lady giving a finger to the camera!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
2) Aorangi Terrace (or Henman Hill/Murray Mount to give it it's embarrassing BBC nickname): why do the people sitting on it feel the need to stand and give a big two handed wave every time the camera cuts to them? It's like watching a non-league side playing a 'giant'- say, Southend- in the first round of the cup, where their fans are so excited by the prospect of being on TV they just can't help themselves and gesticulate frantically at the cameras every time there's a corner

Just like fans at most sports on Tele?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think you can level that accusation only at fans of non-league teams, granted that it is pretty exciting to get to the first round of the cup, even fans of Premiership clubs can be seen doing it on MOTD...plus the occasional old lady giving a finger to the camera!

I just think it's a lot more noticeable at non-league level.

If you sit in the front row at the Emirates or Old Trafford maybe you're used to being spotted on TV- either that or you're asleep- so the only people who do it tend to be kids.

Whereas when the cameras turn up at somewhere like Billingham Synthonia (I've been trying to get their name into a post for some time....JACKPOT!) they're just so excited they can't help themselves, and the entire terrace gets in on the action. It seems to be worse with northern teams too...obviously this new-fangled "television" device hasn't yet lost its sparkle upward of the Pennines
:lolol:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I think you'll find, Edna, that a lot of people that go to Wimbledon are also fans of what you would call 'proper' sports. I'm going on Thursday but I'm also a football, cricket and rugby fan. I'd imagine there are many more, such as the two people I'm going with.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I agree they are mainly wankers, i was getting especially pissed off by some wanker yesterday mouthing hello mum from behind a player every time they swapped ends, doesnt make me dislike Murray though, i'd be delighted if he wins it which he will within the next couple of years

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just had the misfortune to see the piece to camera on Pillocks Peak aka murrays mount.... a saddo was dressed as John MacEnroe and said how nervous he felt after the Svengali Sweatie had to play a first set tie-break.

I think that says it all really, lets hope that the Jockfest is over soon and we can go back to the other 48 weeks of the year and realise we are not a natural tennis playing nation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just had the misfortune to see the piece to camera on Pillocks Peak aka murrays mount.... a saddo was dressed as John MacEnroe and said how nervous he felt after the Svengali Sweatie had to play a first set tie-break.

I think that says it all really, lets hope that the Jockfest is over soon and we can go back to the other 48 weeks of the year and realise we are not a natural tennis playing nation.

Is that worse than dressing up to go to a football match?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
getting bitter in your old age Edna ;)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I don't think there should be cheering, as a member of upper class Britain i think it should be exlusive to "nice" people. Not loud mouth yobs.

They are so thick that there were loads of them at Clapham Junction this morning wearing all manner of old redundant henmania rubish, all with the cross of St George.:lol:

Murray of course will take great offence and promptly lose in a fit of nationalistic pique

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think you'll find, Edna, that a lot of people that go to Wimbledon are also fans of what you would call 'proper' sports. I'm going on Thursday but I'm also a football, cricket and rugby fan. I'd imagine there are many more, such as the two people I'm going with.

Spot on. As well as the 2001 Wimbledon Final, I've done the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Japan, World Athletics Championships in Paris, 2004 Athens Olympic Games, will be joining the Barmy Army for the Durban test in SA starting on Boxing Day (it was either that or Orient at Withdean), and am hoping to make the last game of the Lions tour in a couple of weeks time.

I like the difference in attitudes between the fans of different sports. It would be as inappropriate for a football referee to ask the crowd to remain quiet when a player is in a position to shoot as it would be for tennis supporters to start a chant of 'Who's the wanker in the chair?'

Difficulties arise when people take one set of behavioural values in a sport and apply them to another. Cricket has had this issue with the arrival of a different type of spectator for 20/20 matches than those who would normally attend a 4 day county championship match.

Glamorgan cricketer Robert Croft described it this way in 2007 after he'd been verbally abused during a 20/20 game:

"Why does it happen? Well, I think it's a game that attracts a younger crowd and maybe fans of other sports who come along because their sport is not on at the time. They have a drink and then get rowdy. Cricket is traditionally a gentleman's game - players play very hard on the field but it's done in an atmosphere where fans can bring food along, have some wine or beer, enjoy the cricket and leave in a good manner. I'm just concerned it could be starting to move down the wrong direction."

As far as Wimbledon goes, some of the supporters have been queueing up overnight to get tickets to watch the games. If they're rather more reserved than might be expected during afternoon play, there's probably an easy enough explanation.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No Edna's right. If you play tennis then you're a poof. If you like tennis then you're a poof. If you watch tennis on telelvision then you're a poof, if you go to Wimbledon then you're a poof. And if you shout out "Come on Tim' (or whoever is the Tim Henman de nos jours) then you're a complete and total poof.

Just off to watch the second half of the Lions v Emerging Springboks. Man's game.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
and gesticulate frantically at the cameras every time there's a corner

3) The spectators on Centre Court who STILL think it's funny to wait until the crowd have just about stopped cheering a point in a game between Andy Murray and just about anyone, before shouting out wittily "COME ON TIM!" :tosser:

You forgot the wanker who just HAS to be the last person to clap after a rally.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
No Edna's right. If you play tennis then you're a poof. If you like tennis then you're a poof. If you watch tennis on telelvision then you're a poof, if you go to Wimbledon then you're a poof. And if you shout out "Come on Tim' (or whoever is the Tim Henman de nos jours) then you're a complete and total poof.

Just off to watch the second half of the Lions v Emerging Springboks. Man's game.

:laugh: Not so PC but very comical nonetheless.
Too many un-sporting types go to Wimbledon. Anyone that cheers Cliff Richard is a twat and they bloody love him at Wimbledon...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wimbledon is responsible for one of the most cringeworthy moments ever to grace my TV set when during a rain break Sir Cliff got the whole crowd involved in a little sing along.

Still makes me shudder to this day

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For many reasons, but here are some you may wish to consider:

1) They don't sing or shout like fans of proper sports, instead they do that appalling "Murray!" clap clap clap "Murray!" clap clap clap thing that eight year old girls do while watching their classmates play netball

I just think they are sweet. Good-natured and harmless. Can't see any problem with that :shrug:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hmmmm it's a tough one....

I'm quite frankly embarrassed when Wimbledon is on. People from other countries must think that is how we behave at sporting events. Decked head to toe in union jacks shouting ra ra ra in between points.

However what is the alternative? The golf at the weekend (as it always is in America) was ruined some fat yank shouting "get in the hole" after every f***ing shot.

Surely there must be a happy medium?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here