Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilson

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That is what I initially thought I had read somewhere, but began to doubt that with the replies to my comments

No, I'm sure you're right. I didn't think it was ever a youth loan. Started off as an emergency loan, where a player can be recalled after 28 days, and now turned into a half season loan, where the player can only be recalled during the transfer window. So, from next Tuesday I'm pretty sure United can't recall him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No they can't. It becomes a half season loan (so won't be a youth loan) and they won't be able to recall him after the transfer window shuts. That was clearly stated when we signed him.

Can anyone provide a source for this, or is it just rumour ? ???

There is no reason why the loan would need to be converted as youth loans can run all season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No they can't. It becomes a half season loan (so won't be a youth loan) and they won't be able to recall him after the transfer window shuts. That was clearly stated when we signed him.
However although it wasn't clarified, Hughton appeared to confirm after the match on Saturday, that Wilson could be recalled any time.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This uncertainty only goes to prove that we really need to sign a new striker As soon as possible.

If you had the choice, would rather we got to keep James Wilson, but not sign another striker, or sign a new striker and lose James Wilson? I think I'd prefer to keep Wilson for the season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

No it wasn't. The terms were always a youth loan. Clarified not long after he signed. Van Gaal made it very clear in one of his press conferences. They have a full recall clause after 28 days.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We could do a lot lot worse than try to sign Wilson permanently. A lot worse

We could, but we won't.

United paid £38.5 million for Martial and they rate Wilson in a similar bracket, let's just enjoy him while we have him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No it wasn't. The terms were always a youth loan. Clarified not long after he signed. Van Gaal made it very clear in one of his press conferences. They have a full recall clause after 28 days.

That was definitely not what was said when we signed him. I'm certain there was no mention of a youth loan. While there was a recall after 28 days, I understood that to refer to the short term loan up to January. Once the transfer window opened, it would be a half season loan with no recall after the transfer window shuts. If Van Gaal has said that's not true, then I've not seen it. Would be a shame as I was looking forward to the transfer window closing and Wilson being confirmed as our player for the season.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We could, but we won't.

United paid £38.5 million for Martial and they rate Wilson in a similar bracket, let's just enjoy him while we have him.

Amazing to think after all our struggles that we probably have here at the moment on loan a future England star, how far we have come...

Fantastic, can still remember driving through Hampstead Garden Suburbs punching the roof of the van in delight on hearing we just had revived approval for the stadium....

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
That was definitely not what was said when we signed him. I'm certain there was no mention of a youth loan. While there was a recall after 28 days, I understood that to refer to the short term loan up to January. Once the transfer window opened, it would be a half season loan with no recall after the transfer window shuts. If Van Gaal has said that's not true, then I've not seen it. Would be a shame as I was looking forward to the transfer window closing and Wilson being confirmed as our player for the season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-clause-recall-loan-striker-James-Wilson.html

Here you go :- confirmed from our side that they have a recall on him. Van Gaal confirmed it in his press conference after we signed him anyway - it was one of the ways it was sold to their fans. They won't recall him unless Van Gaal loses his job but that's looking more and more likely now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here