Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will You Miss the Withdean?

?

• I guess. There have been some happy memories there.

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Not at all. Will only remember it as something that held us back. Nothing more.

Votes: 36 36.7%

• Total voters

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Simster said:
And the place will be rocking for the last game, that's for sure.

Yeah but do you honestly think that can compare to the atmosphere we'll get for the first competitive match at Falmer?

I'm wet at the thought of it

blueandwhitearmy

Oct 29, 2004
Bevendean
Of course - there have been some good times here - I remember the first competitive game there when we thumped Mansfield 6-0, the fact that we were playing Mansfield shows you how far we have come since then but whilst there are going to be plenty of positive memories I won't be sad to see the back of it. Bring on Falmer. :clap:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Re: Re: Will You Miss the Withdean?

Repugnant Toad said:
Unless he's shrunk dramatically since then, I'm sure that was Cullip ...

absolutely right. edit made.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Will not miss the place at all, it's not just getting wet it's also getting covered in mud down that lane by the train track.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
ive often sat there in the pouring rain re-living that greatest of sporting moments...............when i won the 100 yard hurdles at the cardinal newman sports day in 1975 :lolol:

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
Yep, many great memories, but I will forget about it when big things happen at Falmer ! (like the Premiership :) )

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I voted no. However, I will always have very good memories, such as Cullip's header against Chesterfield, silencing 750 of their fans who thought that the championship was theirs (that is my all-time Albion memory, alongside John Byrne's equaliser at Anfield), and Paul Rogers going up to collect the cup. Virgo's header against Swindon must come close, although I wasn't there that night, watching the game in a half empty pub. Also, the Freeman hattrick will be a happy memory for a long time. Against that, however, will be getting soaking wet many times, and at least two colds as a direct result of freezing in my South Stand seat, watching a good number of sub-standard performances, such as Gillingham in 2002-03, and eating a pie which I could not tell whether it contained steak or pieces of soya meat, and not getting back to the car until 5.30, when I used to get back there by 5.00 pm at the Goldstone. That may continue at Falmer, but I shan't care. Therefore, I have some happy memories, but I won't miss it.

Oct 25, 2003
i will miss the memories but not the ground,

WE will also miss the withdean factor in that big teams and big name players hate playing there, we will, however will not miss the lack of revenue through gates, the fact that the whole league takes the piss and the fact that it was never home

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Like any unfortunate episode in one's life, we'll look back and laugh about it in the future.

Let's be honest, it has been good to us. We've achieved more there than we had any right to.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
magoo said:
Like any unfortunate episode in one's life, we'll look back and laugh about it in the future.

Let's be honest, it has been good to us. We've achieved more there than we had any right to.

That sums up my feelings precisely.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It's a strange one. I hate the place really mainly due to the lack of atmosphere, but it holds some great memories. The two championships and the Swindon play-off will live with me forever. That said I won't be sorry to see the back of it, and get back to watching football in a proper football stadium.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'll miss the place.

When we've had a shit time of it at Falmer (and we will) I'll take the time to re-visit Withdean and remine myself that it could be far worse!

I have some very fond memories of Withdean. To be honest there are only two real down sides from a fans perspective. 1) No atmosphere 2) you get wet if it rains. Obviously the lack of revenue from the gate is the clubs main problem. However, if you put those problems aside there have been some great moments!

- Fans hanging from the trees because they couldn't get in!
- Stamping on the floor to get the south stand to shake!
- Rocket man! (Withdean is the ONLY ground he could have done this at)
- Seeing the likes of Merson and Ince having to play there :)
- Virgo scoring that goal against Swindon!
- Shirt Sponser SKINT worked much better at Withdean.
- The poshest walk to any ground in the country.
- The sweepstakes on when Freeman would put his hair up.
- Watching Zamora play knowing that you were watching a geniune Albion Legend.
- The real sense of commoradary that I know will disappear after a while at Falmer.

Loads of good stuff really! However, I never want to be in this position again and the sooner we are at Falmer the better! We can then really start dreaming of the Premiership for real!

I doubt if our win/loss ratio will be better at any ground in the next 200 years.

But I will miss the short walk to the game, I'll miss being part of a little elite (much like fans of indie bands get all bent out of shape when their band goes "stadium") and this is a bit gay, I admit, but Withdean is damn pretty with those trees and I'll miss that :) (you appreciate that more from the North Stand side though, the Sportsman is not so aesthetically pleasing for the South Standers).

Still, I guess I've got the rolling hills of an area of outstanding natural beauty to look forward too :cool:

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think for the younger generation leaving Withdean is going to be absolutely massive.

Whilst the Doncaster game was one of the saddest days for me, I think that leaving Withdean for me is going to be more emotional in some ways.

I'm 20 years old. I wasn't at the Goldstone in the 70's or 80's. I was there from the early 90's onwards. I have some great memories of the Goldstone, the start of the Liam Brady era, the 3-3 draw with Bournemouth, some 14,000 odd crowds watching Division 2 football.

However, my memories of the Goldstone (which I do miss immensely) are often of relegation, off the pitch troubles, terrible defeats and the away fans making more noise than home fans.

My memories of Withdean are of how brilliant it was to be 10 mins on the train away from the ground after the 2hr drive to Gillingham every week, seeing the Albion lift 2 championship trophies, having one of the most exciting teams around, humbling some very big sides week in-week out.

For a lot of you, Withdean was a short stopover where we have had some success. I can't wait till Falmer, but anyone of my age, I'd expect leaving Withdean will be an absolutely massive thing.

Bruce Lee Wannabe

Nov 10, 2004
Brighton
I think nostalga is absolutely the right word. There have been some absolutely great memories there and will hopefully be a few more in the next couple of years such as Jakey showing everyone the goal scoring machine he is! Watching Zamora was always a joy and was at the game when we won the 2nd Div - all great stuff. Also seeing us humiliate teams that looked down on us was always great and made them look up and realise Brighton are a big club. However Falmer will be tremendous and although I will look back fondly at Withdean, I won't miss it as such

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
London Irish said:
I'll miss being a bit gay, I admit, but WithdeanWombat is damn pretty and I'll miss that

Didn't know you had it in you LI.

[I must admit, I did edit his post a wee bit]:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here