Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will You Miss the Withdean?

?

• I guess. There have been some happy memories there.

Votes: 62 63.3%
  • Not at all. Will only remember it as something that held us back. Nothing more.

Votes: 36 36.7%

• Total voters

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
imagine the scene: it's may 2008 and the albion are playing the final game of the season, their place in the division secure many weeks ago. it's a glorious, sunny day and the crowd are in a buoyand mood as they know the next home game they watch their beloved stripes in will be at the shiny, new falmer stadium (which has ended up looking just like the architecht's impressions of many years' ago).

the withdean is uncomfortable, cold, silent, embarrassing and depressing. but, for the last eight years, it's been home. it's witnessed some remarkable scenes: the league's first goal of the new millenium, danny c's header to secure the championship title, virgo's header to send the brighton into the play-off semi-final. arguably brighton's greatest striker plied his trade on that field.

can anyone say that it won't be missed?

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes. There are some good memories.

Freemans Hatrick on return to Brighton

Zamora cracking them in.

Two championships.

Smashing Wolves.

Annihilating Watford and then Palace scored vs Stoke.

The sunshine belting down and Rocket Man.

Definitely time to move on though!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Twill be missed there are plenty of memories. Such as hit the bar and The sound of the post as gurney missed that pen still time to move on tho.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
not really all in all , but i do have some top memories from it .... but sitting in the pissing rain in a ground with very little attmospheres not my idea of fun

BendyThumbs

Feb 26, 2005
Toronto
Yeah i will miss it, but then again i didn't have to sit in it week in and week out.

It is where i saw my first game when i came and visited, and i will always remember that fondly.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i will miss it - no-more wandering out of the sportsman at 2.55

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Tesco in Disguise said:
charlie's header to secure the championship title

Unless he's shrunk dramatically since then, I'm sure that was Cullip ... but still ... I won't miss Withdean a bit now, and most of the best memories of the place will be from the first couple of years, when it was just great to be back in Brighton, to not have to travel several hours to go to a home game. I have little affection for a place where no-one sings and the only noise is people moaning.

I doubt I'll be too upset about leaving.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll miss Withdean like a scab on my foreskin thats gone septic.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Miss it, no.

But in years to come I will remember the Withdean years as a time when we did extraordinary things in very tough circumstances. Maybe as fans, it will be our finest hour.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Maybe 'miss' isn't the right word. I'll look back on it with nostalgia yes, but miss it? No.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oh yes, but i've never known anything different (apart from the odd away game).

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Look to the future, forget the past.

It's done it's job, and will continue to do so over the next few seasons but lets not kid ourselves here. As a football stadium it has always been shit and whilst we should be appreciative (it is still 100 times better than having to trek to the Priestfield) we can't go round in years to come reminiscing about the good old days when to be honest, they aren't that good. We're just making the most of them until our proper home at Falmer is up and running.

We will never forget, but there's no need to get overly sentimental. The place is frankly embarrassing and not fit to call itself the home of our great club, hence it always being referred to as our 'temporary home'.

Once the Falmer superstructure is in my life I could quite happily live without ever setting foot in the Withdean again.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Some great times as mentioned. Some bad ones. Rochdale before Christmas and getting soaked. But the good times out weigh the bad. But it is so nice to look forward to moving on and out. A roof, bless. Soon be gone but never forgotten.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Yes, Its pissed walking distance from my house!! And although it is a ghostly athletics stadium it is in a nice natural bowl!!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I will miss it i think - its really the first solely albion ground that i remember properly. There've been a lot of brilliant memories there too

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll miss it because we've had some good times at Withdean. And the place will be rocking for the last game, that's for sure. I'll never forget how crap it was though.

But then it's time to move on. My wife has promised to allow me to spend our money on a season ticket for my son (he will be 7) and me for the first season at Falmer - so 2008 can't come soon enough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here