Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will Writing

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mine needs changing and some major updates. My solicitor originally drafted it for £80 six years ago. They now want £500 for a new one.

I took to wondering. Do I really need a solicitor ?

I have the original will, and I know the updates I want. Why not simply copy the old will, make the amendments, print and get the standard two witnesses to witness the signing. My understanding is that it becomes a full legal document in doing so.

I'd be interested in hearing other folks takes on that and what they have done.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
  • Haha
Reactions: cjd

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Will Aid is in November this year - now taking bookings :thumbsup:

SAC

May 21, 2014
You need to make a Codicil, a blank one can be downloaded from the internet. Fill it in and get it signed.

However, if the changes are major then you will need a new will. If you are a member of a union, they will do special deals (or wait for November, as above).

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So if there is a group out there that will help people with their swag, tats and general koolness is that called Kool-Aid?

Oh yeah!!!!

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Mine needs changing and some major updates. My solicitor originally drafted it for £80 six years ago. They now want £500 for a new one.

I took to wondering. Do I really need a solicitor ?

I have the original will, and I know the updates I want. Why not simply copy the old will, make the amendments, print and get the standard two witnesses to witness the signing. My understanding is that it becomes a full legal document in doing so.

I'd be interested in hearing other folks takes on that and what they have done.

You can amend the old will. It's called a codicil

What I would do ...... write it on word, print it, make sure it's clear it applies to that will and is intended to be a legal document. Get it signed and attested in the same way, by a couple of people, not the beneficiaries.

Keep the two documents together. Tell people where they are

I'd only pay £500 if I thought someone was going to challenge my will.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We had a solicitor help us draw up our wills ten years or so ago because we wanted soe advice on various things.

When we wanted to change things like the charities benefitting and percentages - we simply copied what the solicitor had written before, made the amendments, printed it, got it witnessed - etc,

No need to pay a Solicitor if it's fairly straightforward - and doing a whole one is possibly safer than a codicil, as it replaces the old one entirely.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We had a solicitor help us draw up our wills ten years or so ago because we wanted soe advice on various things.

When we wanted to change things like the charities benefitting and percentages - we simply copied what the solicitor had written before, made the amendments, printed it, got it witnessed - etc,

No need to pay a Solicitor if it's fairly straightforward - and doing a whole one is possibly safer than a codicil, as it replaces the old one entirely.
That's exactly what I need to do. And change an executor who is now deceased. I was thinking of converting the old will to Word and just carefully making the amendments, then getting it signed and witnessed.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That's exactly what I need to do. And change an executor who is now deceased. I was thinking of converting the old will to Word and just carefully making the amendments, then getting it signed and witnessed.
That's exactly what I've done. I update it every now and then, every time circumstances change.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm just leaving all my wordly goods and money to the Labour Party.

It's better to give, than have it stolen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good move. Better to rest peacefully in the knowledge your worldly goods and money have been to put to good use. Rather this than turning in your grave havng them been passed onto a Tory donor, friend or neighbour.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

We know you don't like the Labour Party, but maybe just leave that to the political bun fun fighting threads

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyway, before the thread is utterly derailed, thanks everyone for your thoughts.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Good move. Better to rest peacefully in the knowledge your worldly goods and money have been to put to good use. Rather this than turning in your grave havng them been passed onto a Tory donor, friend or neighbour.

I'm not aware that any of my children are Tory donors or "friends as such, or neighbours.

I just knew the soap box posters would react... :D :D :D :D :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
  • Haha
Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here