Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Whitehawk end up at Withdean?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
With a very ambitious board and a fair bit of financial clout by non-league terms could The Hawks end up playing at our former home as high as the Conference?

They will probably end up in the same division as Bognor, Worthing and Burgess Hill next year, so with a healthy budget will they end up with the pick of the local non-league players?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would have thought leaving Whitehawk would have a knock on effect on their support.

Without being a catch-all club like Brighton and Hove, I cannot see many people from the city centre or 'rival' estates bothering to watch them. Where-as a fairly pain in the arse trip to Withdean might put off some Whitehawkians.

Oct 25, 2003
they've done up their ground to match requirements for the level above haven't they? how much more will they need to do to match conference (!) standards?

also will withdean even be good enough for the conference, surely only the north stand will remain after we go?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Surely this is just a ridiculous rich guys play thing. Whitehawk as a non-league club any higher than Ryman South is completely unsustainable. Lewes and Eastbourne have over reached themselves in recent years and they are proper towns in their own right. Whitehawk is just an estate in part of Brighton. Once the money men leave they will be back where they started in the Sussex League where they belong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't see the city council or the Withdean residents going for it.

Who wants to tell John Catt?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It interests me that people are getting so excited about Whitehawk but they have no catchment area. there are lots of larger areas ın Sussex that have more potential.

Personally I would love to see Rye Utd rise up the leagues.... Hasting Town is just round the corner and Maidstone is not far but there's still a lot of space round there.

And anyway, what's not to love about a football team who play in shirts 19th century-style.... looking more like rugby players.

Up the Quarterboys!!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It interests me that people are getting so excited about Whitehawk but they have no catchment area. there are lots of larger areas ın Sussex that have more potential.

Personally I would love to see Rye Utd rise up the leagues.... Hasting Town is just round the corner and Maidstone is not far but there's still a lot of space round there.

And anyway, what's not to love about a football team who play in shirts 19th century-style.... looking more like rugby players.

Up the Quarterboys!!!

But then Rye is a fairly small place and Hastings UNITED struggle to get crowds of more than 600 themselves so hardly bundles of avid football fans with an eye on local teams going spare...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Off topic but what will happen to Withdean when we vacate? Will the stands stay? Reserve team football?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
But then Rye is a fairly small place and Hastings UNITED struggle to get crowds of more than 600 themselves so hardly bundles of avid football fans with an eye on local teams going spare...

True but what is there east and North of Rye?... not much is there?

Its been a long time since I've been in t hat area but there's not a lot of love lost between Hastings and Rye as I remember and don't think many Hastings supporters live in Rye.

Anyway not saying Rye for league football... you're right... Hastings has more potential... just think Rye has more than Whitehawk.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think this is a good question;

What's to like - top quality pitch with good drainage, league standard floodlights, turnstiles and a covered stand all in place.

and what not - three athletic clubs with midweek training nights, limited revenue raising potential (no clubhouse), lack of local support.

Is one pitch sufficient for a training ground, as the facilities would surely exceed Sussex Uni ?

Surely Alan Pook will resurrect Withdean fc as soon as we move out wont he?:wink:

Alan is currently on a football hiatus since leaving the rebels last season AND to my knowledge is still a shareholder and member of the board at Worthing, although not putting any money into the club.

Have heard rumours of this, and talking to a friend who has done a lot of research as it is his job, it is unlikely that Whitehawk will be allowed to move to Withdean.

They will probably end up in the same division as Bognor, Worthing and Burgess Hill next year, so with a healthy budget will they end up with the pick of the local non-league players?

I'd say that again depends on the budget of those teams.

From what I know Worthing look to hopefully have a secure funding base for next year after the problems we've had this year, and on top of that the reformation of the Supporters association and us gaining a Non-exec place on the board, and the hopeful addition of new board members to replace those who are not putting money into the club means that the club will be better run.

We have a squad who are loyal to our amazing manager Simon Colbran, and have stuck with us despite playing for a part of the season on a 60% wage cut. If we have the budget, we'll have the manager, the players will stay and if we don't get promoted this season Whitehawk will have to contend with a rejuvinated Worthing FC!!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My understanding is that to qualify for entry to the Conference, the pitch is not allowed to have a running track around it, so Withdean is a non-starter for football at that level.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
My understanding is that to qualify for entry to the Conference, the pitch is not allowed to have a running track around it, so Withdean is a non-starter for football at that level.

That rules out the Olympic Stadium in Berlin too then...

800px-Berlin_Olympic_Stadium.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

im faarly certain newport play at a ground with a running track around it, and they have just won promotion to the blue square premier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here