Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will We Sign Winger Before Saints Game?

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
We need a new midfielder, Sparrow is out for tomorrow with Bridcut suspended, Batti isn't up to it that's be honest, too slow and crap on the ball. We will see, have to be positive, Gus isn't really filling me with his confidence after his recent interview. Buzzing for tomorrow though!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Signing a winger before the game isn't good enough, in my opinion. The new player would need to train with the squad today. Unless we hear something by this evening, I don't think we'll be seeing a new player.

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
Pretty sure though someone may be able to confirm, a player would need to be signed today in order to play tomorrow

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Albion boss Gus Poyet wants a replacement for broken leg victim Kazenga LuaLua signed before tomorrow night's trip to Southampton.

Poyet is desperate to land his mystery target and is getting frustrated by the time it is taking.

He said: "It's still a possibility but when you cannot get a player very quickly it slowly looks like it is going away.

"Maybe we'll get a bit lucky and we can get the replacement for LuaLua.

"The clock is ticking because I don't want the player on Thursday at four o'clock, I want the player today, because I want the player to be available for tomorrow.

"If you can get him on Wednesday or Thursday you can get him on Monday or Tuesday, that is my opinion. I'm am not negotiating, so it is very easy to say when you are not doing that.

"My wish is to have him now, before Southampton. If we get him after I think we have lost a great opportunity to add some quality to the team ahead of a very important game."

Skipper Gordon Greer has recovered from illness and will lead the team out at St Mary's.

Is he having a pop at Ken Brown who is negotiating?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Shit news about Sparrow if he is out. Was hoping he was being wrapped in cotton wool at the weekend to make sure he was ready for tomorrow night.

Agree that even if we did sign a new winger, I doubt he would start anyway.

Good news about Greer though

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
This has got the LuaLua saga written all over it, with Gus and the fans getting ever more frustrated with the lack of action, although this time I'm not as confident we'll get our man. It's annoying as all the talk of a "very special" signing got me really excited.

Also, isn't it assumed that we'll only get the special player if we get another player first, as per the Argus on Saturday?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Shit news about Sparrow if he is out. Was hoping he was being wrapped in cotton wool at the weekend to make sure he was ready for tomorrow night.

Agree that even if we did sign a new winger, I doubt he would start anyway.

Good news about Greer though

Without a new winger its pretty obvious how we will play getting a winger in by tomorrow at least gives us an option to change how we will play give Soton something to think about.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
That's the problem with Gus coming out and mentioning someone "special" is on the horizion. Just frustrates and pisses impatient fans off if it doesn't come through. Similar to when he said last year that he wanted his squad in place before the start of pre-season. It just wasn't going to be possible but it annoyed a lot of people who were expecting big name signings as soon as we finished the season. Thought Gus might have learnt from this, but it maybe not

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Without a new winger its pretty obvious how we will play getting a winger in by tomorrow at least gives us an option to change how we will play give Soton something to think about.

True. With Sparrow, Bridcutt and Lua Lua out we are very limited in midfield and especially lack quality from the bench

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm pretty sure it is 12 noon for a permanent signing (the day before) and 5pm for a loan signing.

We signed Holroyd on a loan to allow him to play and then signed him permanently on the Monday.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Just said on 12.00 news on Sussex that gp is still hopeful of getting a signing in to cover Lua Lua for tomorrows game at Southampton. Here's hoping so

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We need a new midfielder, Sparrow is out for tomorrow with Bridcut suspended, Batti isn't up to it that's be honest, too slow and crap on the ball. We will see, have to be positive, Gus isn't really filling me with his confidence after his recent interview. Buzzing for tomorrow though!

All we are saying is give Smith a chance!

Agree with all this. I'd play Smoth rather than Batti and get Barnes to drop into the midfield like he does sometimes.

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
The tension is killing me but IMO just like KLL this will get boring. We probably wont sign anyone today. Dont mean to be negative but it's happened before.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought LuaLua broke his ankle...that is a couple of times the media have said he has broken his leg - they said it on South Today on Friday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here