Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we get to host the 2018 World Cup?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I hope not. Spain & Portugal for me please, what a trip that would be.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think the joint bids have no chance. The competition is for 2018 and 2022. If one of these goes to Europe then the other cant but I would think it is pretty much certain that one will (otherwise it would be a 20 year gap). So I think our main rival is Russia.

Don't see why we can't win it.

I think the Aussies or the Americans could both become major contenders.

I'd be a bit pissed off if the Americans got it; they had it in '94, and I'm not sure where they fit in the 'rotation' policy. I would have thought they should be grouped with South America, as it's a bit unfair to treat them as a continent to themselves. However that's obviously not the case, as if it were they wouldn't be able to bid for 2018.

I'd be a bit pissed off if the Americans got it; they had it in '94, and I'm not sure where they fit in the 'rotation' policy. I would have thought they should be grouped with South America, as it's a bit unfair to treat them as a continent to themselves. However that's obviously not the case, as if it were they wouldn't be able to bid for 2018.

But Sepp has now binned 'rotation' now that South Africa and South America have had their turn.
America is a big target market, that's why they'll figure high in the bidding.
And expect America to step in if South Africa and/or Brazil fail to build their stadiums.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
True, although this would be tempered by the fact you know they'd do it PROPERLY. Record crowds in 1994 are testament to this.

They might even provide a BIRD to sing at the opening ceremony and not miss the open goal. :lolol:

But Sepp has now binned 'rotation' now that South Africa and South America have had their turn.
America is a big target market, that's why they'll figure high in the bidding.
And expect America to step in if South Africa and/or Brazil fail to build their stadiums.

Not according to the BBC; they say that a country can't bid for it if either of the preceeding two tournaments have been held in the same continent.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge Australia, but I think countries that have had it within say the last 6 tournaments shouldn't be allowed to re-stand (that would rule out the USA, Japan and South Korea, who have all bid for 2018). But then that's probably just because I'd like to see it in this country :lazy:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
The main television audience and money will be coming in from Europe so giving it to Australia where it would be shown at unsociable hours must be a huge negative. Then again this is FIFA so....

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Brazil v England at Falmer

:thumbsup:

I like the idea of Falmer being extended to 30,000 seats in order to host world cup matches!

A more realistic possibility is under-21 England internationals being held at Falmer - the under 21's play at a different venue for almost every match and tend to play in 20-30,000 seater stadiums - Falmer would be perfect :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The main television audience and money will be coming in from Europe so giving it to Australia where it would be shown at unsociable hours must be a huge negative. Then again this is FIFA so....
Debateable these days. Japan is more or less in the same time zone as Australia and they were awarded the WC a few years back. And in any case, there are plenty of BUCKS to be made in Asia these days, and the North Americans are increasingly tuning into soccerball.

But I reckon we'd see some night games if it was hosted in Australia anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here