Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we ever see Rugby like this again ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A bad example as the BaBas were there to entertain really and it is not so prestigious nowadays. Too much at stake if these chaps are injured.

Embarrassing Haka at the beginning!

I do get what you are saying though as the players do seem to spend more time in the gym than working on the finer aspects of the game.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
With you on the Haka,but Duckham had serious Pace. AS for the Phil Bennett dummie's that is priceless stuff.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Cheers for posting that. Was good to see again and enjoyed every second.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One thing that is noticeable from forty odd years ago is the total lack of non-white players in the New Zealand Side - of course there was no reason for Samoans and Fijians, let alone Maoris to play an Amateur Game in those days - remember it well from School Days in the mid 1970's as it had been taped on to a very early VCR and was shown ad infinitum to us to show how we should be playing the game......

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
jakarta,i am not a big Rugby fan,even less now it has become POWER over skill and touch,as to the colour of the player's that was then. I would just like to see Rugby played like that by anyone. Colour is not an issue the style of play is.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
jakarta,i am not a big Rugby fan,even less now it has become POWER over skill and touch,as to the colour of the player's that was then. I would just like to see Rugby played like that by anyone. Colour is not an issue the style of play is.

My point is that these days New Zealand unashamedly hoover the Islands for their talent and thus denude Samoa, Fiji and Tonga etc. of their best players who suddenly become 'New Zealanders', a nasty side effect of the game going professional.

As you say the modern style of RU Play is now very similar to RL, can't say this 6 Nations entertained me hugely except for the Ireland/Wales game...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And that was dragged on for months,ues to be a six week period. Yet i am told this is better Rugby ? Really.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
This brought back such superb memories as I can honestly say "I was there". Sitting in the North Stand with a second row from Caerphilly, this was the most amazing rugby from what was virtually a full strength Lions side. The only non-Lions player was Wilkinson, I believe a Cambridge Blue, who played in the second row. When Bennet started side-stepping in his own 25 at the start of the first try, you just knew that something was on and by the time Edwards received the ball, the whole of the North Stand was on its feet and went delirious when he went over.

It was this match that David Duckham was re-christened by the Welsh rugby fraternity as "Dai Duckham" because he at last showed his full talent when receiving the service he deserved. Happy Days.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This brought back such superb memories as I can honestly say "I was there". Sitting in the North Stand with a second row from Caerphilly, this was the most amazing rugby from what was virtually a full strength Lions side. The only non-Lions player was Wilkinson, I believe a Cambridge Blue, who played in the second row. When Bennet started side-stepping in his own 25 at the start of the first try, you just knew that something was on and by the time Edwards received the ball, the whole of the North Stand was on its feet and went delirious when he went over.

It was this match that David Duckham was re-christened by the Welsh rugby fraternity as "Dai Duckham" because he at last showed his full talent when receiving the service he deserved. Happy Days.

Power over skill. Kills everything. Higgins,White,John Snow,Richard Hadlee,Bowles,we know the rest.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
.. ... ... the players do seem to spend more time in the gym than working on the finer aspects of the game.

You are joking right? The players from those days had full-time jobs and played local rugby for really quite poor quality teams.

Now they spend hours and hours working on every aspect of their game. It is not, in my opinion, the players that produce boring rugby, but our "Directors of Rugby" who are obsessed with set plays and refuse to allow players to play what is in front of them. The influence of Leicester Tigers' style of plays has an awful lot to answer for!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Power over skill. Kills everything. Higgins,White,John Snow,Richard Hadlee,Bowles,we know the rest.

Sorry mate, you are wrong. It is simply that the bar has been raised to such a high level these days. I have met a number of the old boys from those days - they would not compete with their modern counterparts on a one to one basis. Look how Jonah Lomu destroyed players at the start of this era!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You are joking right? The players from those days had full-time jobs and played local rugby for really quite poor quality teams.

Now they spend hours and hours working on every aspect of their game. It is not, in my opinion, the players that produce boring rugby, but our "Directors of Rugby" who are obsessed with set plays and refuse to allow players to play what is in front of them. The influence of Leicester Tigers' style of plays has an awful lot to answer for!

A mixture of both, perhaps? I was echoing the sentiments of Simon Barnes. I don't agree with much of what he says, but the gym/skills comment struck a chord.

I am not a great fan of attritional/forward rugby, despite being a plastic Leicester fan since the late 80s (only to spite the old man whom was brought up in Bath!).

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
A mixture of both, perhaps? I was echoing the sentiments of Simon Barnes. I don't agree with much of what he says, but the gym/skills comment struck a chord.

I am not a great fan of attritional/forward rugby, despite being a plastic Leicester fan since the late 80s (only to spite the old man whom was brought up in Bath!).

Maybe you should take a look at Championship rugby? It tends to be less forwards dominated, and, in my opinion, is much more exciting to watch.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Thank-you. End of Thread,

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Pastime v Profession.Alot of the joy is coached out of all sports especially rugby.Saracens have a plan based on domination of possesion and attrition not on scoring lots of points.(trys)Points seem to be a by-product of that domination.Over analysis of the game(mistakes erradicated at the cost of flair) and concerntration of defensive patterns means less of a spectacle.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know which era of rugby union I would prefer to watch.
AND the punch ups where better then.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe you should take a look at Championship rugby? It tends to be less forwards dominated, and, in my opinion, is much more exciting to watch.

I used to regularly watch London Scottish when I lived close by and watched a couple of games in the Championship, most of their march to the Championship really. Excellent rugby and always a good day out. £10 on the terrace, beer in hand and so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here