Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

will we be able to drink beer in our seats for the Sussex Senior Cup Final ??

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I wouldn't have thought so. Isn't it an FA or a government regulation that prohibits alcohol being consumed in a place where the game can be seen?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep, nothing to do with what kind of game it is, you could never do so at the Worthing friendlies either

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985 prevents:-

The consumption of alcohol within view of the playing area including, during the restricted period (15 minutes before the start of the event to 15 minutes after the end of the event), rooms within the ground from which the event may be directly viewed;

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yep, nothing to do with what kind of game it is, you could never do so at the Worthing friendlies either

but places like Bognor , Eastbourne (I think),Lewes and Burgess Hill you could - hmmmmmmmmmm

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was told by a friendly policeman who ought to know that you are not allowed to consume alcohol in sight of the pitch at football matches - hence the blinds which have to be drawn during should people wish to stay in the bar or hospitality. This law, he said, does not apply to rugby stadia which are hosting rugby matches, but does apply to football stadia which are hosting rugby matches (e.g. Vicarage Road, Adams Park etc).

Don't know if that's 100% true, but I'm going to take his word for it.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
You cant at Priory Lane, Eastbourne Borough. The club house outside the ground prevents you taking alcohol past the gates.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I was told by a friendly policeman who ought to know that you are not allowed to consume alcohol in sight of the pitch at football matches - hence the blinds which have to be drawn during should people wish to stay in the bar or hospitality. This law, he said, does not apply to rugby stadia which are hosting rugby matches, but does apply to football stadia which are hosting rugby matches (e.g. Vicarage Road, Adams Park etc).

that is definitely not true - i attended an edf cup semi finals day a few years back at the ricoh arena and got through about ten pints that day in full view of the pitch

in terms of football, technically you are not meant to drink alcohol pitchside at any competition that is run by the national fa, so for example when a county league side plays in the fa cup/vase then you should not be able to have a beer pitchside. in my experience though this is very rarely policed in the early rounds such as extra preliminary qualifiers

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Lewes allowed you to drink in the conference south but didn't in the conference national.

Some of the grounds in the county league have a problem with you drinking around the pitch but most don't. Should be in plastic glasses though (but mugs of tea/coffee are fine bizarrely).

As Scotty Mac says the national competitions (FA cup, Trophy, Vase) should be dry but this isn't always the case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It sounds so ridiculous that it's probably true.

The ban on alcohol only applies to "designated sporting events". These are:-

1. Association football matches in which one or both of the participating teams represents a club which is for the time being a member (whether a full or associate member) of the Football League, the Football Association Premier League, the Football Conference National Division, the Scottish Football League or Welsh Premier League, or represents a country or territory.

2. Association football matches in competition for the Football Association Cup (other than in a preliminary or qualifying round).

I guess if the finalists were Horsham and Lewes, we could drink in our seats. Unless the Club said differently, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here