Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will there be some kind of Albion-related AMEX card?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If so I want one. One of those mysterious but really flash ones that gets you Learjets and that. Will there by some kind of tie-up?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[yt]ZF-U9nL9Ios[/yt]

I want this card

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was having a conversation with my sister, who works at AmEx, last week. She was talking about the stadium naming rights thing (principally on the back of the website domain name being bought up).

I was saying I couldn't work out what AmEx would be getting out of naming the stadium, especially as they have little (or seemingly little) to do with anything in the city outside of their immediate environment, and that AmEx's core customer base wasn't really the same demographic as a football crowd. (We know how to have a good time in our family).

Anyhoo, she was saying that over the next couple of years, they are launching and promoting a new card aimed at, well, people who are not in AmEx's usual target. I don't recall it all, but it was along the lines of a type of debit card, which... no, can't remember.

But it was something like what you're saying, Col.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was having a conversation with my sister, who works at AmEx, last week. She was talking about the stadium naming rights thing (principally on the back of the website domain name being bought up).

I was saying I couldn't work out what AmEx would be getting out of naming the stadium, especially as they have little (or seemingly little) to do with anything in the city outside of their immediate environment, and that AmEx's core customer base wasn't really the same demographic as a football crowd. (We know how to have a good time in our family).

Anyhoo, she was saying that over the next couple of years, they are launching and promoting a new card aimed at, well, people who are not in AmEx's usual target. I don't recall it all, but it was along the lines of a type of debit card, which... no, can't remember.

But it was something like what you're saying, Col.

It's card aimed at 'young' people, being rolled in the US first up. AMEX's goal from this deal will be around it's community ties and involvement with local 'programmes'. Not really to do with expanding awareness of the brand - Realistically, who is going to watch Soccer Saturday and go, hang on, I've never heard of these 'American Express' people.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Anyhoo, she was saying that over the next couple of years, they are launching and promoting a new card aimed at, well, people who are not in AmEx's usual target. I don't recall it all, but it was along the lines of a type of debit card, which... no, can't remember..

This was done a couple of years ago (the blue cards) which were aimed at students just out of university and lower income professionals/ people who wanted benifits from their card. Not sure on the exact details but the card is now defunct and the current main cards aimed at the 'non typical amex cardholders' are the Nectar and BA co brand cards.
Would have thought the cost of implementing the card for just one team was however very steep and the return limited,

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe just maybe Amex are going down the credit (as opposed to charge) card route. Thus the "football" folk will be a perfect audience.

MOH you CAN buy a learjet on Amex, but you HAVE to pay the full amount back within 30days or somesuch.

Thats my understanding of the difference between Amex and VISA.

Im prepared to stand corrected if thats not the case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe just maybe Amex are going down the credit (as opposed to charge) card route. Thus the "football" folk will be a perfect audience.

MOH you CAN buy a learjet on Amex, but you HAVE to pay the full amount back within 30days or somesuch.

I used to work with a data analyst/statistician who had just come from Amex. He worked abroad for them, about 8 years ago. He had some amazing stories of Amex purchases. All the stories about boats and planes are true apparently. His favourite was a battleship. I think it was decommissioned though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's card aimed at 'young' people, being rolled in the US first up. AMEX's goal from this deal will be around it's community ties and involvement with local 'programmes'. Not really to do with expanding awareness of the brand - Realistically, who is going to watch Soccer Saturday and go, hang on, I've never heard of these 'American Express' people.

This was done a couple of years ago (the blue cards) which were aimed at students just out of university and lower income professionals/ people who wanted benifits from their card. Not sure on the exact details but the card is now defunct and the current main cards aimed at the 'non typical amex cardholders' are the Nectar and BA co brand cards.
Would have thought the cost of implementing the card for just one team was however very steep and the return limited,

Her colleague who was with her at the time was most indignant that I'd never heard of any of these packages or cards; saying that they'd been around for ages and why didn't I have one...? etc

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Will the lickers get a special platinum one?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

When I worked at Amex we used to see loads of merchant slips where people had used the dummy card from promo displays to pay for internal flights across the USA and beyond. :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will the lickers get a special platinum one?

I imagine the DK lickers are still using coloured glass and arrow heads to pay for their transactions.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

not entirely correct mr meola, and thank god that's the case:wink:

be very surprised if amex will extend credit outside of their normal catchment, it would be bad for branding. it'll be a charge card i'd have thought.

and anyhoo (to borrow a phrase) who wants to see their local pub paying exhorbitant rates on harveys transactions?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Possibly also AMEX will have access to the supporters season ticket database as well for mailings/cross sell etc?

So remember to tick the NO box to the statement "we will pass your details on to carefully selected third party providers if you dont wish us to do this tick no" or whatever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here