Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will there be a national 'come-down' when the Games end?

D

Deleted member 18477

The footy season will help when the Olympics ends. I wasn't really bothered about the olympics before it started but it's been the best 2+ weeks of sport I've ever watched I think. The best Olympics I will ever see in my lifetime that's for sure. The only thing that could beat it is if England won the footy world cup which just isn't going to happen.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
At least you got to watch them!

State side has been f***ing horrific. Wouldn't know any other sport apart from Women's Soccer, Basketball, Gymnastics and sprinting existed. I have yet to see in their nightly round up any rowing, cycling (YES - f***ing CYCLING), discus, judo, javelling, etc. Admittedly, they may not have even started, but I am properly miffed at the lack of other sport coverage if the USA doesnt have a chance to win.

If you are interested in how bad the coverage is, do a quick search for #NBCFail - it sums it all up.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Was looking forward to the olympics and it has been much better than i had hoped. I shall thoroughly miss it as that is all i have been watching however the para olympics and the start to the footy season shall ease the pain.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
State side has been f***ing horrific. Wouldn't know any other sport apart from Women's Soccer, Basketball, Gymnastics and sprinting existed. I have yet to see in their nightly round up any rowing, cycling (YES - f***ing CYCLING), discus, judo, javelling, etc. Admittedly, they may not have even started, but I am properly miffed at the lack of other sport coverage if the USA doesnt have a chance to win.

If you are interested in how bad the coverage is, do a quick search for #NBCFail - it sums it all up.
It is often said how insular the American coverage of Olympic games always is, but I'm beginning to wonder whether we're really that much better. We probably are better, but let's not pretend the BBC haven't been massively jingoistic themselves. How many seconds of handball did they cover in Beijing or any Olympiad before then? Yet handball is hugely popular worldwide. Same goes for wrestling, table tennis, fencing, archery, water polo and a few other sports that are dominated by a handful of countries that aren't Britain.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
The Olympics is just a filler until the footie season starts. No hangover for me - Olympics ends then a few days later Swindon away, can't wait.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It is often said how insular the American coverage of Olympic games always is, but I'm beginning to wonder whether we're really that much better. We probably are better, but let's not pretend the BBC haven't been massively jingoistic themselves. How many seconds of handball did they cover in Beijing or any Olympiad before then? Yet handball is hugely popular worldwide. Same goes for wrestling, table tennis, fencing, archery, water polo and a few other sports that are dominated by a handful of countries that aren't Britain.

Surely having 27 channels offering live olympic coverage of every single event covers this? Yes the BBC1 coverage is centred around the events GB are excelling in, but that's what the majority of the country want to see. You don't have to go far to find all the other events.

USA aren't even showing any events live are they? Including the athletics?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Most disgraceful thing was not showing the 100m final live - the 'signature' event as they'd say out here. Heads should roll at NBC. Having said that I was able to watch the Brighton Chelsea game live so I have to give the Yanks a few brownie points.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely having 27 channels offering live olympic coverage of every single event covers this? Yes the BBC1 coverage is centred around the events GB are excelling in, but that's what the majority of the country want to see. You don't have to go far to find all the other events.

USA aren't even showing any events live are they? Including the athletics?
Yes, I'm not really complaining because people really do want to see success for Team GB over anything else. I guess my point is that historically, sports that have not been big in this country haven't really been given the exposure they crave.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Originally an Olympic sceptic,but have thoroughly enjoyed it.Helps that everything happens in our time zone so to speak!
Hope the 'legacy' really does become a legacy for sport at all levels in the country.
Yup,when it is all finished,the country,Europe and much of the world will still be in the same shit that it was a couple of weeks ago!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here