Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

will the rivalry grow or die?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It does seem to me that we care more about it than Palace do. There was a question on here before the Newcastle match as to which was bigger? An FA Cup 4th round tie against a top Premiership side or a league game against one of the minor London teams (no offence). The League game was the overwhelming winner because it wasn't just a minor London team - it was Palace, still seen by most as our bitter rivals.

I get the feeling that if the positions had been reversed the Palace fans would have chosen Newcastle over Brighton. The impression I get is that a lot of Palace fans thought: "Well it's not as big a game as our semi-final against Cardiff, and it's a school night, and the club didn't send me round a ticket on a silver platter, plus the Police might make me walk the long way round ... naaa, I'll give it a miss. Also Holby City's on and I fancy that Sahira. Anyway Brighton's more for the older fans, Millwall and/or Charlton have been our rivals for the last twenty years." And it's no good a few Palace fans posting on here trying to re-assure us that yes, they do care about us - tell that to all the Palace who didn't go.

I wonder what the Brighton players thought? They'd had it drummed into them that this was THE big game, then they turn up and find the stadium is only a little over half-full. I wonder how many thought to themselves, "Huh. Call this a rivalry? I think our lot are mistaken."

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
For somebody who yesterday posted that Brighton Palace threads are getting tedious you have to wonder what your agenda really is.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wonder what the Brighton players thought? They'd had it drummed into them that this was THE big game, then they turn up and find the stadium is only a little over half-full. I wonder how many thought to themselves, "Huh. Call this a rivalry? I think our lot are mistaken."

My thoughts exactly.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If Palace, who have been in a higher league than us for a fair amount of time whilst we were flirting with dropping out of the league, still consider us their main rivals, then the rivalry will always remain. Southampton will be one of those games with short term bragging rights; sure, 3-0 felt bloody good afterwards, and I personally dislike Saints due to their arrogance, but it was forgotten about a week or so later.

The ONLY threat to that for us I could possibly see is Crawley, though I don't believe they'll reach any higher than League 1 in their history. Even then, many of our fans seem to wish Crawley well.

For somebody who yesterday posted that Brighton Palace threads are getting tedious you have to wonder what your agenda really is.

Agenda?
Just a worry that the nasty side of this so called rivalry might grow,a saturday game next season at the amex will see the numbers of home fans getting involved increase,and with the oh its just a healthy rivalry brigrade adding to the flames i worry about this fixture.Seems the same people coming up with all the verbal insults are first in line to moan when the youngster get out of order.???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here