Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the budget mean an increase in the cost of food at the Amex?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Is the food served on the concourses at the Amex subject to 20% tax now.

In the budget they added it to food served above ambient temperature and it certainly effects Greggs and forfars.

Thats unless Amex food is already VATed

If not that going to add 70p to a £3.50 pie:down::down:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It has always been there on takeaway food. The things that will be clobbered are those yummy hot chickens from the deli counter at Tesco

Nigel Lawson introduced it IIRC correctly.
The grey area is that sausage rolls and pies at the AMEX are sometimes sold "cold".

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It has always been there on takeaway food. The things that will be clobbered are those yummy hot chickens from the deli counter at Tesco

Thats amazing that Greggs and Forfars could sell hot pies without Vat while next door a burger shop was charging Vat for a warm burger!

I suppose as the Amex is definitely a takeaway outlet the pies must already have the Vat on

I suppose as the Amex is definitely a takeaway outlet the pies must already have the Vat on
The Amex is definitely not a takeaway outlet, at least not as I understand the word. I eat my pies on the premises.

If we are NOT paying VAT on pies, when we should be, how long before HMRC try to get the Club wound up, because of a huge unpaid tax bill?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The Amex is definitely not a takeaway outlet, at least not as I understand the word. I eat my pies on the premises.

If we are NOT paying VAT on pies, when we should be, how long before HMRC try to get the Club wound up, because of a huge unpaid tax bill?

LB i've just been reading up about it - It seems there was already VAT on both ALL Eat in food or takeaway HOT food and they have closed a loophole that supermarkets and bakers were using to avoid VAT on takeaway food they said was consumed off premises. I think cold take away food is still exempt!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...they have closed a loophole that supermarkets and bakers were using to avoid VAT on takeaway food they said was consumed off premises. I think cold take away food is still exempt!!!

exactly. unless its in/adjacent to a seated area, such as you might find in a shopping centre where thats now considered to be not taken away.

it was a bit silly Greggs etc made the loophole by saying the food just "happened" to be hot due to short time from being baked on premises to being served. the forecasts of Greggs sales plummeting seem a tad overbaked this week, as they can just offer the sausage rolls and slices cold, shirley?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Someone's got to make up for the loss of revenue from dropping the top marginal rate of income tax by 5p, now haven't they?

LB i've just been reading up about it - It seems there was already VAT on both ALL Eat in food or takeaway HOT food and they have closed a loophole that supermarkets and bakers were using to avoid VAT on takeaway food they said was consumed off premises. I think cold take away food is still exempt!!!
Excellent.

So we HAVE been paying VAT on pies. Not because the Amex is a takeaway outlet (as you first suggested), but because it's an eat-in outlet.

Someone's got to make up for the loss of revenue from dropping the top marginal rate of income tax by 5p, now haven't they?
Of course. Who better than ordinary people who buy food from shops? Top rate tax payers have expenses to meet that the rest of us can't begin to imagine. They need all the help that they can get.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The soul of empathy you are, Lord B. I envy your ability to stand in another man's footsteps and see things his way.

Me, I'd just start looking up plans on the internet for tumbrels...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Excellent.

So we HAVE been paying VAT on pies. Not because the Amex is a takeaway outlet (as you first suggested), but because it's an eat-in outlet.

Yes but I'm not so sure you should be so pleased - unless you have a way of reclaiming it!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm slightly surprised none of the moaners have pointed out that their pie is rarely above ambient temperature anyway.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm slightly surprised none of the moaners have pointed out that their pie is rarely above ambient temperature anyway.

If you want a fire-hot pie, get thee to the East. Outlet next to entrance D, they'll burn your mouth off at no extra cost. (and long may the continue)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My pies have generally been fine thanks. The one at the Derby game was absolutely tremendous, to be frank. I've just noticed a couple of moaners suggesting theirs haven't been on occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here