Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Sussex ever have a 3rd League Club? If so,.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can see Whitehawk getting to the conference with them building a new ground and the money they have but not sure if they can make it to the league.

Can't see it myself. Even with new ground and money, if they get to the Ryman Premier its a tough league to get out of with some well established non-league teams in there. Even if they did, the Conference South is even tougher. You make stepping up 3 tiers sound easy, but in reality it's incredibly difficult. I can only think of AFC Wimbledon, and Aldershot that climbed through with relative ease, however their fanbase was always massive.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Can't see it myself. Even with new ground and money, if they get to the Ryman Premier its a tough league to get out of with some well established non-league teams in there. Even if they did, the Conference South is even tougher. You make stepping up 3 tiers sound easy, but in reality it's incredibly difficult. I can only think of AFC Wimbledon, and Aldershot that climbed through with relative ease, however their fanbase was always massive.

Truro seem to be making a bloody good go of it

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
Hastings?

In all honesty there is more likelihood of Hastings not having a club at all than having a club in the football league. Also I doubt the infrastructure at the Pilot Field would meet Conference standards let alone anything else.

Albion Rob

I think in Eastbourne's case, with the current set up their three seasons in the Confernece National was the best they could hope for. First season they were very comfortable in mid table but the final two seasons were a real struggle. They have talked about having another crack in five years time and turning pro when they get back up. Would be a huge risk though but I think they now have the fan base to be a bigger fish in the Conference south or Ryman Prem.

The other 'problem' they have is where the ground is. I firmly believe that if they playyed at the Saffrons (town centre) they would pull in abother 300-400 every week, possibly more if they were in the Confernece National. Priory Lane is great to a degree but it is so far out of town - it can take longer to get back from there to my house when driving than it does from Falmer and I live in the town centre.

To be honest, though, I think all these clubs had their chance when the Albion were at Withdean. Based on current figures about 13,000 football fans in Sussex were wandering round without a game to go to each week and teams like Lewes, Hastings, Eastbourne, Worthing etc cashed in to a greater or lesser extent.

I think now these teams would need a 'Crawley style' backer to get up through the leagues - will be interesting to see how that turns out.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
They'll make a real go of it but whether they will want to/are able to step up into the Ryman remains to be seen. You just have to look at Crawley Down who romped the league last season yet are having a right old struggle due to the extra commitments needed at the higher level

Yes I do agree and with the whole poisoned chalice.... think it would do more harm than good to Rye while the council dont give backing for the ground.... its a cricket pitch dontcha know (this from someone who played cricket for Rye and football for Icklesham)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The sums just don't add up for Eastbourne to progress further. Crowds of about 1,500 in the Conference were respectable enough but without a big financial backer an assault on the Football League would have been crazy.

Non league football has plenty of charms of its own - it doesn't always have to be focused on League status. Local players, a good old fashioned atmosphere, terracing, people who give up their time for nothing to make it all happen ... it's great. The Amex is a brilliant matchday experience but people should make time to support the smaller clubs when they get chance.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Sussex football has always been very poor, for years Brighton were the only club in the county at a high level before Crawley came along, but between Crawley and Eastbourne there is a huge gap, in terms of money and league position.

I hope Crawley do sustain them selves in the football league, it's good for the county, and at one point a few years ago Eastbourne where eyeing up a late play off chase as they were winning for fun towards the end of the season, who is to so they can't pull off something better again?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
off to watch lancing tonight as it happens,going very well at the mo

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
Population seems to have relatively little to do with supporting a football team in lg2 or better. Norwich (143,000) are in the prem whilst Basingstoke (169,000) are nowhere and Bradford (502,000) struggle.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Pompey go bust Bognor Regis Town FC could get a boost.

Record attendance 3,642 v Swansea City, FA Cup first round replay, 1984–85

cf. Eastbourne Borough
Attendance:
3,770 V Oxford United, FA Cup R1, 5/11/2005

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
not to mention, nobody seems to want to win the Sussex County league as even a step up to Ryman South is beyond the wage bill of most SCL clubs

Presumably you don't have to go up to Rymans if you win the County League do you? Couldn't you just say 'no, ta: can't afford it' ?

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Albion and Crawley come from 2 biggest Cities/Towns in Sussex, next Biggest prob Eastbourne or Chichester, can't see them getting the support to sustain the numbers they need to survive in league footy. Only gonns happen if big 2 go bust and supporters migrate across, and that's not gonna happen with the backers we and Creeepy have, so therefore 2 it will remain, down to 1 if Crawley lose their financial backing.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Worthing is a really solid Albion town, which would generally hamper them. Probably the most solidly Albion outside Brighton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here