Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Sussex ever have a 3rd League Club? If so,.....

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
........who could it be? Realistically only Eastbourne, Hastings and Worthing would be big enough to sustain a 1st or 2nd Division team. Think
Eastbourne Borough will need to start rising again to achieve this.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Don't know about Hastings or Eastbourne but Worthing would have to do something about their ground I doubt it's changed much.
First game I was ever taken to was in summer 1975 Worthing v west ham complete with brooking, bonds, lampard. My nan's house was in the next road.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
None of these clubs have the infrastructure to get anywhere close to the league.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Don't know about Hastings or Eastbourne but Worthing would have to do something about their ground I doubt it's changed much.
First game I was ever taken to was in summer 1975 Worthing v west ham complete with brooking, bonds, lampard. My nan's house was in the next road.

I was at that game - got Frank Lampard's autograph after the match.

Oct 25, 2003
if we'd gone out of business in the 90's, started again but with fairly low crowds, or if falmer had been turned down and we were playing at withdean, probably in league 2 with low crowds then there's a chance that another sussex team could get fairly high up

but while we're getting 20,000+ there's no chance of anyone else in sussex getting the crowds needed to support a league club

edit- i mean a 3rd club after crawley

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Only the Quarterboys!!!

Realistically the answer is no. The only way Rye could make it is if the Hastings clubs collapse (no bad thing) and they get a council that cares make about football than cricket.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Worthing have a reasonable following.........when the Albion are away.

I'm sure that is the case at allot of clubs from the county league up, especially this season.

Surprised no one has mentioned Whitehawk. Very good chance they'll be step 3 next season and the pockets seem to be quite deep there!

But in answer the the original question no, not without significant investment. Both Eastbourne and Lewes have proven they can't hold their own in the conference let alone the football league. There will always be teams prepared to go shit or bust to get in the football league so competing financially is going to be very difficult.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Worthing have a reasonable following.........when the Albion are away.

I'm sure that is the case at allot of clubs from the county league up, especially this season.

Surprised no one has mentioned Whitehawk. Very good chance they'll be step 3 next season and the pockets seem to be quite deep there!

But in answer the the original question no, not without significant investment. Both Eastbourne and Lewes have proven they can't hold their own in the conference let alone the football league. There will always be teams prepared to go shit or bust to get in the football league so competing financially is going to be very difficult.
I can see Whitehawk getting to the conference with them building a new ground and the money they have but not sure if they can make it to the league. Would like to see them do well though I have great respect for Freeman. The only problem is if they get bigger it will be the Albion fan base they eat into especially for the casual supporter who can't get a ticket at the Amex

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I can see Burgess Hill doing a Lewes and rising to through the leagues and then collapsing if the proposed new ground by the Triangle goes ahead. Initial 3000 capacity is being talked about.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Chichester? Theres more to sussex than just Brighton and Eastbourne... Chichester is a city after all...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I doubt we have any other clubs that could sustain league football in Sussex, both Eastbourne Borough and Lewes found the gulf between Conference South and the top non league division too much.

As regards Worthing they were offered a place in the Conference nearly 30 years ago, having finished runners up in the Isthmian Premier, but turned it down due to the financial implications, and one of the main people who made that decsion was Ray Bloom, who told me it would have been a recipe for disaster.

Its not just about crowds, the players have to be very flexible, I remember Garry Wilson from Eastbourne on the radio last year when they had drawn at home against Hinckley in the Trophy, he was talking about the fact that they had the replay on Tuesday then would be leaving for the away game at Darlington on the Friday, but they werent full time so the main point he said re the players was they either had to have a lot of holiday left or very understanding bosses.

Clubs like Worthing, Bognor, Lewes etc are just not big enough top go full time, which is why we'll never get a third league club in Sussex

I doubt we have any other clubs that could sustain league football in Sussex, both Eastbourne Borough and Lewes found the gulf between Conference South and the top non league division too much.

As regards Worthing they were offered a place in the Conference nearly 30 years ago, having finished runners up in the Isthmian Premier, but turned it down due to the financial implications, and one of the main people who made that decsion was Ray Bloom, who told me it would have been a recipe for disaster.

Its not just about crowds, the players have to be very flexible, I remember Garry Wilson from Eastbourne on the radio last year when they had drawn at home against Hinckley in the Trophy, he was talking about the fact that they had the replay on Tuesday then would be leaving for the away game at Darlington on the Friday, but they werent full time so the main point he said re the players was they either had to have a lot of holiday left or very understanding bosses.

Clubs like Worthing, Bognor, Lewes etc are just not big enough top go full time, which is why we'll never get a third league club in Sussex

not to mention, nobody seems to want to win the Sussex County league as even a step up to Ryman South is beyond the wage bill of most SCL clubs

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
not to mention, nobody seems to want to win the Sussex County league as even a step up to Ryman South is beyond the wage bill of most SCL clubs

REALLY???!!! Seems Pagham and Rye are making a real go at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here