Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Songs of Praise be replaced by an Imams call to prayer?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Its the way everything is going at the moment.

All you need to do is walk around just about any large population centre in the UK at the moment and you will find a sizable Muslim community, with all the trappings of that faith, dress code, mosques etc.

Inevitably that culture will begin to permeate into the fabric of our society, not sure if this is good or bad, just unavoidable.

The media will follow the Zeitgeist and if Fiona Bruce is sat on the news wearing a cross and saying "The Muslim Prophet Mohammed" there are elements within that group who would object on the grounds that it is disrespectful / divisive.

We would then end up with people on the TV saying "The Christian Messiah Jesus" and "Buddhist deity Buddah" etc.

Man will only be free when the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Oh and Juan Albion, please be gentle with me...I am not as well versed in all this as you, but it is just my view...

:)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly if they can dump an institution like 'Top of the Pops' then why shouldn't 'Songs of Praise' follow suit ?

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He's BACK
thomas-hamilton.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You'll never hear a Muslim dissing Jesus, as he is also an important figure in Islam, where is regarded as a prophet, rather than the Messiah.

There are already plenty of Asian and Muslim TV stations available in the UK, not that I have ever watched them, but I can't see why there wouldn't be several programmes dedicated to religious and spiritual matters.

I am going to humour looney hear and say that there won't ever be a call to prayer as a regular TV programme because (a) there won't be the commercial value because (b) there isn't sufficient interest. Anyone who needs to go to prayer won't be anywhere near a TV set.

But then I am going to stop humouring looney, get back in the real world, and point out that his question was basically f***ing daft. But if he had gone on any kind of mental journey, even he would have realised that.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
There's no commercial value in the current religious programming the terrestrial channels are forced to broadcast, so it's highly unlikely they're going to broadcast programmes for a religion followed by a tiny minority in this country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you're a twat. That's what I think.

The prophet Mohammed is what he's addressed as in the Muslim faith... so why shouldn't he be called that? Why do we need to classify it as 'the Muslim prophet' or anything else. We don't. I don't really see your objection.
:jester:

I know I should be sensible and just ignore him, but really, I just can't. Besides, I'm bored, if I wasn't on here reading and posting in these pointless threads I may have to do some work :down:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
My RE teacher was a proper SAWT too. Maybe there's something in it...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Looney still hasn't replied to my message last night where the little scamp claimed he is part of the 1% on the internet who can argue politics but doesn't seem able to do more than quote things he's looked up on google and wikipedia.

Gives us centre-righters a bad name and no mistake.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Can we have a dedicated forum for any thread title containing the words 'Muslim' or 'Islam'.

Protects freedom of speech but allows me to avoid them!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Man will only be free when the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Oh and Juan Albion, please be gentle with me...I am not as well versed in all this as you, but it is just my view...
:)

Just out of interest, why should I be gentle with you when you have just wished me dead?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
You'll never hear a Muslim dissing Jesus, as he is also an important figure in Islam, where is regarded as a prophet, rather than the Messiah.

There are already plenty of Asian and Muslim TV stations available in the UK, not that I have ever watched them, but I can't see why there wouldn't be several programmes dedicated to religious and spiritual matters.

I am going to humour looney hear and say that there won't ever be a call to prayer as a regular TV programme because (a) there won't be the commercial value because (b) there isn't sufficient interest. Anyone who needs to go to prayer won't be anywhere near a TV set.

But then I am going to stop humouring looney, get back in the real world, and point out that his question was basically f***ing daft. But if he had gone on any kind of mental journey, even he would have realised that.

Ye gods how can you be so dumb. The thread title hasn't got much to do with the topic as i pointed out.

I have attached a picture of the new god I have allocated you, worship him devoutley.

Attachments

• b5_kosh01b.jpg
    b5_kosh01b.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 71

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
sten_super said:
The prophet Mohammed is what he's addressed as in the Muslim faith... so why shouldn't he be called that? Why do we need to classify it as 'the Muslim prophet' or anything else. We don't. I don't really see your objection.
:jester:

Because in the Christian Faith hes a false prophet so why cant he be addressed as that?

You will either have to reference Qualify or ignore all subjective prefixes of all religions.

You cant just parrot Profit mohammed and then not use Jesus Christ, just jesus is used.

Technically I beleive I am correct but possibly over reacting.... as I stated in my opening post.

At least you bothered to read it, well done!

Here is your new God!

Attachments

• 44444.jpg
    44444.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 68

He certainly shouldn't be qualified by his religion, as you originally suggested. You certainly don't see reference to "the Christian" Jesus. Tbh, I can't recall having seen either mentioned on the news recently (but then I don't watch much news), but assuming you are correct with the way the two are mentioned, you do have a point- both should be addressed in the same manner. I'd guess that maybe the reason for the distinction is that Mohammed is a fairly common name, whereas I can't say I know anyone called Jesus, and therefore the BBC feel that they need to qualify exactly which Mohammed they are talking about.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
looney said:
Ye gods how can you be so dumb. The thread title hasn't got much to do with the topic as i pointed out.
One day - ONE DAY - you will actually bother your arse to make some sense, and back it up with a coherent argument, instead of resorting to childlike insults - a sure sign of loneliness and insecurity, as well as a definite uncertainty in the rationale behind your arguments. But somehow, I don't think we'll ever see that day.

Meanwhile, I am going to place myself in your universe, and resort to this... referring to the quote above, you pondlife fuckwit, why did you call it that? You've got some f***ing neck to call anyone other than yourself dumb.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sounds of Praise is the dogs. I don't have a religious bone in my body but if I'm in on a Sunday and it's on I always watch it. They had ex United now Everton keeper Tim Howard on it on Sunday.
:clap:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
One day - ONE DAY - you will actually bother your arse to make some sense, and back it up with a coherent argument, instead of resorting to childlike insults - a sure sign of loneliness and insecurity, as well as a definite uncertainty in the rationale behind your arguments. But somehow, I don't think we'll ever see that day.

Meanwhile, I am going to place myself in your universe, and resort to this... referring to the quote above, you pondlife fuckwit, why did you call it that? You've got some f***ing neck to call anyone other than yourself dumb.

Well at least two others in this thread fully understood what I said and addressed it intelligently lowbrow. That says it all really.
:salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here