Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Think there are quite a few more clubs heading for this fate...when will idiots learn...you cannot spend more than you're earning...well you can,but one day the bills has to be paid.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ben Haim on 36k a week? The average championship wage the season before last was 4k a week. I wonder how low the average would be without portsmouth's squad dragging the average up?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Varney looks like he is on his way to Leeds , Norris might join him or sign for Wednesday and Mokoena is returning to play for a South African club. 3 players off the wages bill but Pompey will still be moaning that the transfer embargo hasn't been lifted and they shouldn't incur a 15 points deduction.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It is sadly (but honestly) true that it is difficult to see Pompey surviving given their number of 'mercenaries' on Premiership + contracts.

The wage bill v the projected income just doesn't stack up so perhaps they have to plan for the worst case scenario.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Where did these ridiculous salaries come from in the first place? Why are footballers in general paid such ludicrous amounts of money?

Jimmy Hill fought for a fair wage back in the day, but it's all gone mental (like f***ing house prices :angry: )

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Poor old Pompey. They only had 20 players to choose from at pre-season training this morning according to their local rag.

Including Ben Haim, Liam Lawrence, Kitson et al.

Down to the bare bones again...oh.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Think there are quite a few more clubs heading for this fate...when will idiots learn...you cannot spend more than you're earning...well you can,but one day the bills has to be paid.

There are another 35 clubs who owe a decent wedge to the HMRC over non paid tax bills and once Rangers court case is out of the way , The HMRC will be upping the Anti to press for money or winding up .

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Disgraceful attack by Portsmouth manager Michael Appleton on Kanu who (as in previous years reporterdly) is a couple of days late back for pre-season.

His rant that players sign a contract and must honour it totally ignores that Kanu, like others, forwent payment of wages, is owed a small fortune, renegotiated his contract to help the club................................

Ignores too the £130million worth of contracts that Portsmouth FC have ignored in the past few years

Pot - Kettle - Black Mr Appleton........................?

READY TO ACT - Pompey Past - Portsmouth News

Caveman2012

Jun 18, 2012
It's extremely sad to see a football team fold whoever they are apart from if it was Palace. Its the bords fault and it's the fans and players that are suffering. I just hope something can be done to save them.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's extremely sad to see a football team fold whoever they are apart from if it was Palace. Its the bords fault and it's the fans and players that are suffering. I just hope something can be done to save them.

Oh, they'll be fine, and the millionaire players will be OK too. No, it's the businesses, charities and all of us as taxpayers that get f***ed by Pompey's colossal cheating over the years that I feel for.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Disgraceful attack by Portsmouth manager Michael Appleton on Kanu who (as in previous years reporterdly) is a couple of days late back for pre-season.

His rant that players sign a contract and must honour it totally ignores that Kanu, like others, forwent payment of wages, is owed a small fortune, renegotiated his contract to help the club................................

Ignores too the £130million worth of contracts that Portsmouth FC have ignored in the past few years

Pot - Kettle - Black Mr Appleton........................?

READY TO ACT - Pompey Past - Portsmouth News

Kanu maybe sorting out personal matters which prevented him from turning up for training yesterday :lolol: Appleton knows all too well that the administrator is trying to agree a financial settlement to release Kanu from his contract. Realistically all the 10 senior players currently on the books need to go in order to allow new players to be signed on sensible League 1 wages. The official Pompey website is advising customers buying tickets can no longer pay by cheque.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I was told that there is a story going around that once the rich men have bought Leeds Ken Bates is going to buy Portsmouth.

Or if not Ken Bates a company with which he has absolutely no connection, oh no, but which then decides it wants to sell the club to him and doesn't want to hear offers from anyone else.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Every other club is getting stuck into pre season training in earnest, Pompey had 8 first team players turn up for pre season ALL of whom are expected to leave in the near future! They basically don't even have a squad yet and if they get a further points deduction will be lucky to fulfill their opening fixtures at this rate. If by some miracle they manage to sign 18 odd players before the season starts I think it likely they will be old journeymen, loans and youngsters and will undoubtedly struggle against teams that have had a full pre season program. I can't wait for their season of struggle and probable relegation to L2.

Thought this was worth sharing. Found it an amusing and alternative way to look at the current situation at Pompey, paticularly with regard to Kanu's disappearance:

WHERE’S KANU?
WEDNESDAY, 11/07/2012

by James Shipp, Shoot's Pompey blogger

With the Portsmouth squad back on the South Coast for the start of pre-season training, there was one very notable absence. Not Aaron Mokoena, who is believed to be finalising a move back to South Africa, but Kanu, a man famous for his hatred of all things fitness.

So where exactly is he?

Pompey have released this information in the hope of tracking down their AWOL forward...

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?

Full name: Nkwanko Kanu

Description: An extremely tall man (about 6ft 5) of African descent, with a slight resemblance to Stretch Armstrong. Quite a small head in relation to his body.

In a weird way, he looks a bit like Jar Jar Binks.

He is believed to be 62-years-old, although there have been question marks over this for decades.

He is not harmful, so no need to proceed with caution, and he will not get far if he decides to make a run for it.

He is a very laid back individual, so he could well be laying down somewhere; grassy knolls are a possible location.

Potential hideouts: It is believed he could well have returned to his native home of Nigeria, but certain sources have come to the conclusion that he could also be hiding in the local area, extremely scared by the thought of pre-season training.

Possible spots inside and not far outside the Portsmouth area could be the Royal Dockyard, where Kanu will try to use his localised ‘King’ status to gain contacts, and Marwell Zoo, just because he enjoys looking at animals.

Searches up the Spinnaker Tower and various bingo halls have already proved fruitless.

Reward: His carers, Portsmouth Football Club, are willing to offer three 2006-07 Season Review DVDs upon his return, and will even throw in an air freshener if he’s brought back with his agent.

His head-guardian, Michael Appleton, has written a short message to Kanu, in the hope he will read it and come home:

Dear King,

I know we’ve had our differences since we first met, but please come back.

And I’m sorry for shouting at you and making you cry, but you know as well as I do that there is no way you’re getting a £300k settlement.

You can’t stay forever, but hey, you’ve had some wonderful times here.

Remember when you won the F.A Cup? Or when you scored against A.C Milan?

There have been so many happy memories and it would be a shame for you to end it like this.

The sooner you come back, the sooner we can sit down, sort out an agreement and you can leave for a new challenge.

You know we haven’t got the money to pay you to sit on the bench anymore, and I know you hate pre-season but Ben Haim turned up, so come on, surely you can too?

Anyway, I’m not going to hurt you, maybe just make you run a bit, but you need to come home and we’ll sort everything out.

With love,

Michael

P.S: Your hearing aids are here too.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone got any idea how many season tickets Pompey have sold. Well would YOU buy one if you were a Pompey fan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here