Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will our ambition match Gus'

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
That is crucial. We'll never be taken seriously with a 22k stadium.

Its a very good start, and decent enough for championship, but if/when we reach the PL it must be extended to full gain from it and to bring it more money - 30,000-35,000 would be nice..... 2nd tier on East Stand, all corner filled in etc :D

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Its a very good start, and decent enough for championship, but if/when we reach the PL it must be extended to full gain from it and to bring it more money - 30,000-35,000 would be nice..... 2nd tier on East Stand, all corner filled in etc :D
.... and a nice big car park that can double as a park 'n' ride site in the summer. Kills two birds with one stone.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
:facepalm::wozza:

It would be STUPID to think that Blooms ambition is not premier league football at the very,very least.

The days of the cottage industry are long gone. Its time to play with the big boys which I know will be anathema to some but sorry thats REALITY.

100% spot on :thumbsup:

We are more than capable of becoming a mid Premiership team a few years down the road, the set up is nearing completion.

Look at it this way, 1901 members have signed up for 5 years minimum at circa £1,000 per year, if significant progress has not been made by 2016/2017 in terms of League position how many will want to renew? From a personal viewpoint I would be expecting to be at least in the Championship playoffs, if not better, the season before! Optimism abounds, I really think we are on the cusp on something quite exciting. :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:facepalm::wozza:

It would be STUPID to think that Blooms ambition is not premier league football at the very,very least.

The days of the cottage industry are long gone. Its time to play with the big boys which I know will be anathema to some but sorry thats REALITY.

It would be interesting to hear people's views as to how we are going to afford premiership football if we ever get there....remember teams like Leeds/derby/Leicester who have stadiums that are larger capacity than Falmer have struggled to get there or stay in the Premiership with large gates, money etc. Also, TB has ploughed 90 million + intothe stadium, I cant see him doing the same to get these players we will need to stay in teh premiership...yes there are always the exceptions, like Blackpool BUT we must be realistic....22,500 is not going to provive the funds to buy the likes of Fabregas and Torres......what we don't want is to end up like the SCC and Portsmouth.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It would be interesting to hear people's views as to how we are going to afford premiership football if we ever get there....remember teams like Leeds/derby/Leicester who have stadiums that are larger capacity than Falmer have struggled to get there or stay in the Premiership with large gates, money etc. Also, TB has ploughed 90 million + intothe stadium, I cant see him doing the same to get these players we will need to stay in teh premiership...yes there are always the exceptions, like Blackpool BUT we must be realistic....22,500 is not going to provive the funds to buy the likes of Fabregas and Torres......what we don't want is to end up like the SCC and Portsmouth.

Well you get £40 million for just getting there! Even if you get relegated first season you are guaranteed a total of £90 million which includes the £40 million plus £50 million in parachute payments paid over 2/3 years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This is a seriously cash-rich area of the country Granny. Who knows how much revenue you can generate out of 22,500 seater stadium off the back of on-field success? Christ knows, we've generated enough revenue out of the same 5,000 core support over the years, no matter how shit we've been doing. Things can only get better. Bigtime.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Wigan, Bolton, Fulham and Blackburn are well established Premiership clubs on comparable or smaller gates than we would get.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wigan, Bolton, Fulham and Blackburn are well established Premiership clubs on comparable or smaller gates than we would get.

Apart from Bolton, the others have all been bankrolled quite significantly. I may be wrong, but I can't see TB dipping into his pockets to that extent in terms of the playing side, certainly not doing a 'Jack Walker' anyway.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was talking to a friend who is a director at a Premiership club and he tried to explain to me a model of achieving success whilst maintaining financial prudence but whichever way he approached it meant acquiring (another) sugar-daddy if it was to be sustainable (well actually if it was to even be attainable in the first place). He is very admiring of what Bloom is achieving here and our ambition and the way we were structuring and knew more than I did about our plans for developing our youth policy. His words ..........."you are on the edge of being a big player in years to come and will surprise a lot of people in the game"

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I think our manager will stay this season as Premiership sides will require someone who has more experience, however if he gets us into the Championship and then the top half of the league we cannot expect to retain him, it must be recognised that with a 22,000 stadium there is no way we could sign the type of player to achieve Premiership membership.
Lets be honest, Championship football will be fantastic in view of the standard of play witnessed over recent years and we must not add pressure to whoever is manager.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
we cant get greedy i will be very happy watching championship football we have to think about what sort of football we were watching
2 seasons ago

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Basically its obvious.

Bloom is doing something that is very rare nowadays and building the club organically as opposed to throw money at it quickly (Fulham, Wigan, Blackburn etc take a bow) and now hope that someone else comes along with deeper pockets to keep bankrolling them for relatively short term success which for them is to just stay in the Prem realistically.

Dave hopefully we wont need to but Fabregas and Torres etc because we will have an effective youth policy and a manager (like Gus) who can spot and develop a player similar to Wenger.

And THPP is right. This is the most affluent area of the country and we have done "ok" on gates of 5,000 and dont forget Falmer can be extended to 30,000 and you know what I bet that there are plans locked in a cupboard to increase even more should we need to.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I honestly think that Gus's best course, from his own position, would be to stay with us a bit longer. There is little point in him moving to a Championship club, because (hopefully) he will be managing one (us) next season. I don't think he'll get a top Prem job just yet anyway - he is after all still a rookie manager - albeit one who's started bloody well - and hasn't actually won anything yet. So (apart from going overseas) that only leaves lesser Prem club vacancies - and if he jumps too soon, he could fail - success wouldn't be guaranteed, and that could actually set his career back.
The last successful new young manager we had (Micky Adams) jumped too soon, and his career hasn't really taken off; OK, he's doing alright, and has another chance at Sheffield United now - but he's no further ahead that when he moved to Leicester 8 or 9 years ago.
I just hope Gus (and his advisers!) agree with me!

Well at least I agree with you GT (for what it's worth) - even if Gus doesn't!

Good points well made. :clap:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Lets establish ourselves mid table in the Champ on 22.5k then if we can expand from there to 30 or so or have a lucky season move on but I can't see us staying in the Prem. Deffo top Championship potential though and after a bit of yoyoing or some financial meltdowns of competitors who knows.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Well you get £40 million for just getting there! Even if you get relegated first season you are guaranteed a total of £90 million which includes the £40 million plus £50 million in parachute payments paid over 2/3 years.

Clippedgull puts it all into perspective.

If we were to expand another 10,000 seats (at what cost ?) that were fully sold to season tickets, this will only raise about £5m a year at the gate plus purchases in the ground.
The vast majority of income in the Premier League does not come from gate receipts.

:amex::albion1:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here