Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will our ambition match Gus'

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gus Poyet says it will take something "out of this world" to tempt him away from Albion at the moment.

Several top flight jobs jobs could be up for grabs soon.

Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea), Roy Hodgson (Liverpool), Avram Grant (West Ham) and Gerard Houllier (Aston Villa) are all under pressure in their Premier League posts.

Poyet admitted: "That is where I want to get to. I've said that all the time.

"There are two options. We get there all together, which is the easiest way and the nicest, because you have stayed in one place and made the football club better and better.

"Or, if we are not very good a player will leave and go to a bigger club or maybe the manager.

"That is the situation but I think right now it would have to be something out of this world to tempt me away from Brighton."

This is great news but I believe it is also perhaps a friendly warning that we need to keep progressing to keep him here. Obviously this is twofold and his ability is under scrutiny also. However this said do we have the ambition to reach the PL with its outrageous wage structure and expectations? Which ever way you look at it it's a gamble.

With Fifa saying we should have smaller league knowing our luck just as we reach the PL it will split into 2. Also by the time we reach it the thing could have imploded into financial ruin.

I for hope we can rise up the leagues and take the PL by storm and with prudence plus Gus!

:amex:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
:facepalm::wozza:

It would be STUPID to think that Blooms ambition is not premier league football at the very,very least.

The days of the cottage industry are long gone. Its time to play with the big boys which I know will be anathema to some but sorry thats REALITY.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I guess the ideal situation is that Gus takes us and establishes us as a premier league side before taking over the reins at Chelsea with our blessing.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
We are very very lucky.

This is his way of saying he's not going to leave for Hartlepool or bloody Charlton! He's here for the long turm, as long as we follow him.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Tony Bloom at least shares his ambition. No doubting that.

Agreed.

I have no doubt that Gus and Tony want precisely the same thing for Brighton & Hove Albion, and I suspect that it was at least in part Bloom's ambition that brought Gus here in the first place.

With those two on the same page and both contributing towards that aim in their own ways, can we reach the Premiership? Yes we can and yes we will.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We have the stadium (ok next year) its now just a matter of building the right team which Lord Gus is doing admirably. :clap2:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I honestly think that Gus's best course, from his own position, would be to stay with us a bit longer. There is little point in him moving to a Championship club, because (hopefully) he will be managing one (us) next season. I don't think he'll get a top Prem job just yet anyway - he is after all still a rookie manager - albeit one who's started bloody well - and hasn't actually won anything yet. So (apart from going overseas) that only leaves lesser Prem club vacancies - and if he jumps too soon, he could fail - success wouldn't be guaranteed, and that could actually set his career back.
The last successful new young manager we had (Micky Adams) jumped too soon, and his career hasn't really taken off; OK, he's doing alright, and has another chance at Sheffield United now - but he's no further ahead that when he moved to Leicester 8 or 9 years ago.
I just hope Gus (and his advisers!) agree with me!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bloom wants a return on his investment (or at least his money back) and I'd say the only real way to get that is to get established in the Premiership and from there who knows

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't think he'll get a top Prem job just yet anyway - he is after all still a rookie manager - albeit one who's started bloody well - and hasn't actually won anything yet. So (apart from going overseas) that only leaves lesser Prem club vacancies - and if he jumps too soon, he could fail - success wouldn't be guaranteed, and that could actually set his career back.

This. Im thinking PAUL INCE as a recent example. Did well at Macc then went to Blackburn and is now re-establishing himself at Notts County via MKD.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The DAYS of Dick Tight's MEDIOCRITY and cronies are long GONE, no way would we have had a manager of Gus's CALIBRE if that potless pillock was STILL running things.
All WE need now is to INVITE Gus and Tanno to have the FIRST free beer out of Atillas £500 round to CELEBRATE the future :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Hopeflly that'll keep him away from the Falmer PA as well.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
i would love it, LOVE IT, if he got us t the premier league - and i think he will.... the question is will we reach it before he gets offer a better role?

Imagine us, with Gus, in the premier league, the Amex extended to 30,000 and even more flair players :drool:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Depends how you define 'out of this world' :shrug:

I'd define it as any step up the managerial ladder once he's actually achieved anything beyond getting the Albion to play the ball on the ground. Which is an achievement in itself.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I honestly think that Gus's best course, from his own position, would be to stay with us a bit longer. There is little point in him moving to a Championship club, because (hopefully) he will be managing one (us) next season. I don't think he'll get a top Prem job just yet anyway - he is after all still a rookie manager - albeit one who's started bloody well - and hasn't actually won anything yet. So (apart from going overseas) that only leaves lesser Prem club vacancies - and if he jumps too soon, he could fail - success wouldn't be guaranteed, and that could actually set his career back.
The last successful new young manager we had (Micky Adams) jumped too soon, and his career hasn't really taken off; OK, he's doing alright, and has another chance at Sheffield United now - but he's no further ahead that when he moved to Leicester 8 or 9 years ago.
I just hope Gus (and his advisers!) agree with me!

What on EARTH are you talking about, you FOOL? Gus doesn't have 'advisors'. Gus advises Obama, the Dalai Lama, Andy Flower, Pep Guardiola and GOD.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Of course our AMBITION will match Gus's. But it's one thing having ambition and another to turn it into actual achievement. He wants to manage in the Prem. We want to play in the Prem. So far so good, but what if we don't get there within the next, say, four years?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree with most on here, perhaps I didn't put it right, my concern is that to be anywhere near successful so much money wrongly imo has to be banded about it becomes a gamble. Man City first team squad is valued at 600m frankly that's plain stupid and no other club can compete unless they too get an Arab, note not a chicken farmer, to pay for their play thing.

I for one hope the PL implodes in the next couple of years and the true reason for playing comes back i.e. winning the league, Fa cup and League Cup and not some gravy train European League. The like of which most fans are now bored with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here