Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will 'marriage' one day be a thing of the past?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
A famous sociologist this week made the prediction that less than 10% of people will be married in 100 years time in the UK. He stated acceptance of co-habitation, high divorce rate and secularisation as the main reasons for this.

In interviews he found that many females got married simply because they wanted a "big day and a nice dress" and that many males got married because they felt they had to or to keep his gfriend happy. All interesting stuff.

So, what do the people of NSC think? Accurate prediction?

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Probably. I co-habit and we are looking to buy a house. We aren't married, with no plans to get married.

I know for a fact that the girlfriend doesn't want to get married for 2 reasons: 1) Her eldest sister is a divorcee, and; 2) Her other sister is walking down the isle in 4 weeks and has become a total bridezilla.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While marriage rates are declining in the long term, they've been reasonable stable so far this century.

Speaking personally, I have no intention of getting married but I'd be surprised to see them disappear entirely. At least 20% of the population is religious for one thing and I'm sure that sector will continue to get married. It will be interesting to see what the Tory tax breaks do for marriage.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Probably. I co-habit and we are looking to buy a house. We aren't married, with no plans to get married.

ditto. i see no point to marriage, if you wish to stay with someone just do so. marriage boils down to a contract, saying you will stay with someone even if you dont want to anymore. a contract that its very easy to actually get out of, so why bother? its for romantics and chavs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely another wrong reason for wanting to get married along with the ones stated above?

It depends. It is for me but I'm sure some people would be willing to get married for a few hundred quid a year.

I agree marriage is on the decline, it's old fashion, most couples today (myself included) cohabitate with the open door policy that if we ever went tits up there is no legal battles. Marriage is a farce and like it's been pointed out women get married to literally show off, men just want the free bar and prob to shut her up, unless she has a large dowry, then it's greed.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My wife and I co-habited originally, but we got married because we wanted to be husband and wife and not 'partners'. There was no 'big day' about it either, we got married in the remote highlands of Scotland and we only had four people at the wedding, not counting our kids.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I hope that's not the case. I'd love to be married one day. I am one of the few I'd imagine who wants to be with someone for the rest of my life, and to have that affirmed by marriage. I'm very much a romantic!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I hope that's not the case. I'd love to be married one day. I am one of the few I'd imagine who wants to be with someone for the rest of my life, and to have that affirmed by marriage. I'm very much a romantic!

Is it though Laura because you want a nice dress and wedding rather than actually being married? The reason I ask is because surely you can have love, romance, companionship, children etc without a certificate?

Just interested like :wave:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

I know for a fact that the girlfriend doesn't want to get married for 2 reasons: 1) Her eldest sister is a divorcee, and; 2) Her other sister is walking down the isle in 4 weeks and has become a total bridezilla.

It doesn't follow that your girlfriend would become either of the above if she got married.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What a cynical thread. I'm getting married next month, not for tax reasons, certainly not for religious ones, but because we want to be together, and want that very public statement of togetherness.

I guess that puts me in the romantic camp (seeing as I don't own a pair of white trainers and a Burberry baseball cap (or whatever it is chavs are wearing these days)).

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm married and it's not about religion or nagging or status or keeping up with the Joneses, it's because i wanted to make a lifelong commitment to my wife because i love her and she makes me a better person.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What a cynical thread. I'm getting married next month, not for tax reasons, certainly not for religious ones, but because we want to be together, and want that very public statement of togetherness.

I guess that puts me in the romantic camp (seeing as I don't own a pair of white trainers and a Burberry baseball cap (or whatever it is chavs are wearing these days)).

That's great, congratulations. Not meant to be cynical, just wondered if it is a trend or pattern that will become less and less popular over time.

Personally I would get married but hate the idea of a big church (i'm not religious), being the centre of attention, spending thousands of pounds on centre pieces and a cake. If I could get married on a beach in shorts and flip flops then that would suit me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I proposed to my wife about 4 months after our first 'date'....very risky I know and not normally the right thing to do!However,we have now been married 22 and a bit years and have three children.No big wedding day.....Registry Office then down our 'local' for a few beers.
I don't care if people without children get married or not,but as we all know,a horrendous amount of 'partners' who have children break up within 5 years of the birth of the first born.I know divorce stats are bad,but 'partnership' stats are infinitely worse.....result,more and more kids brought up without father figures and all the problems that brings!
Suggests to me that marriage isn't just a 'piece of paper' after all.Perhaps some of those partners who can't commit to marriage,can't really commit to each other and should think twice about having kids,which after all is a mighty big committment!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
with the open door policy that if we ever went tits up there is no legal battles.

Its so sad though - it seems odd to me that you'd be in a relationship but giving yourself the option to think about it not working out? I guess thats what most people who co-habit state as the reason for not getting married, or I guess they don't believe in it, but thats a sad reflection of society too...

We're married, very happily, and have every reason to work at staying together if we ever hit a hard patch...I give no thought to splitting up what we have as I plan to be with him for ever. Simples.

Its so sad though - it seems odd to me that you'd be in a relationship but giving yourself the option to think about it not working out? I guess thats what most people who co-habit state as the reason for not getting married, or I guess they don't believe in it, but thats a sad reflection of society too...

We're married, very happily, and have every reason to work at staying together if we ever hit a hard patch...I give no thought to splitting up what we have as I plan to be with him for ever. Simples.

I learn't that lesson the hard way, TB, I'll be fooked if I ever go down that road again.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Suggests to me that marriage isn't just a 'piece of paper' after all.Perhaps some of those partners who can't commit to marriage,can't really commit to each other and should think twice about having kids,which after all is a mighty big committment!

I agree with some of what ytou are saying but you seem to suggest that not committing to marriage is not commiting to one another. Surely you can commit to someone without a bit of paper. To me, buying a house together or having a child together is more of a commitment than a signed document?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That's great, congratulations. Not meant to be cynical, just wondered if it is a trend or pattern that will become less and less popular over time.

Personally I would get married but hate the idea of a big church (i'm not religious), being the centre of attention, spending thousands of pounds on centre pieces and a cake. If I could get married on a beach in shorts and flip flops then that would suit me.

Well if you were to use my friends as a barometer you'd certainly think that marriage was quite popular, as they pretty much all are! That might just be a generational thing for a bunch of 30-somethings though.

Personal I think that "not getting married" is a trend, but one of those that will pass (and probably back again, rather like fashion).

Lets face it though, if you want to be with someone for the rest of your life then there aren't really any valid reasons for or against marriage or cohabiting that aren't trivial. Its just that with marriage you get a great big party with family and friends, and some nice rings - which personally are things I'm all in favour of.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm traditional enough in that I see it as a fairly important commitment to someone you intend to spend the rest of your life with; but its definitely not something to rush in to for the same reasons!

Intend to have a CP at some stage, although the legislation is taking so long to pass I could be dead by then....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here