Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will it be possible to run the 100 metres race in one second?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Without performance enhancing drugs, of course.

If so, how many years do you think it will take before top athletes achieve this?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't know. But the person that threw the empty beer bottle on the track at the start, can look back whenever it is replayed, and say 'I did that'.
Well done that man.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I would have thought that if you drew a graph it would sort of look like it is declining exponentially (may have got the word wrong there), as in it is always getting smaller but ultimately converging on a certain point.

I'd say there will come a time when they need to measure the times to more precise amounts.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looking at past records, it takes about 100 years to knock 1 second off the record. So yes, of course the record will come down to one second but you'll have to wait till 2912!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Never. They only cover a few meters in the first second. Doesn't it take something like 4 seconds to get up to speed. I think we may see 9 second broke in the next 10 or 20 years, but the human body as it is now, will never run in 100m in one second.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd say evolution of millions of years has given us a bench mark of what muscles are capable of: cheetah does it in ~6 sec. so i reckon thats the limit.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would have thought that if you drew a graph it would sort of look like it is declining exponentially (may have got the word wrong there), as in it is always getting smaller but ultimately converging on a certain point.

I'd say there will come a time when they need to measure the times to more precise amounts.

Just looked at the records. You're right about the slowing rate. It took 44 years to get the World Record from 10.6 to 10.1 seconds (1912 to 1956) and then another 53 years to get 9.6 or under.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Not with a human body it wont...

What if Chernobyl Cheryl gets with Japans Fukishima Fred? then what? 20 years from now we could have a Nuclear superhuman capable.

Until then it will take years to break 9 top end for me just under 9

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There was a scientific study that suggested women would eventually catch up with men.

They used Marion Jones as the litmus test :wozza:
That's probably the best example... drugs put her body beyond what it would have done otherwise, but not beyond what a female body could potentially do.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Impossible as we are the wrong shape to push against the air pressure, and at about 30000 Mph the bang as we went through 700 would deafen the spectators and then we would melt,catch fire and become a pile of wind blown ashes. So.... not much to overcome!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Impossible as we are the wrong shape to push against the air pressure, and at about 30000 Mph the bang as we went through 700 would deafen the spectators and then we would melt,catch fire and become a pile of wind blown ashes. So.... not much to overcome!

I appreciate the estimation, but 100m in 1 second is naturally averaging 100m/s. Let's assume constant acceleration so maximum speed 200m/s at the finish line, which is 450mph - less than the speed of sound :thumbsup:

I need to get out more...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here