Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Ian Hart apologise on air to Dick Knight...

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Harty didn't do or say anything wrong - he was only saying what most of us were saying or thinking anyway - in the past Dick has said we are getting players and they have never arrived, then come the end of the transfer window we hear all the reasons why we missed out - I am glad to see the signings he has made but I honestly believe he wasn't meant to say anything about players coming in on the phone in - i think that was a heat of the moment thing and perhaps he wished he had never said it

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
To say that football chairmen are like politicians is way off the mark.

In any case, we elect politicians and they have an obligation to tell us what they are doing.

A football chairman is on the board of a company whose only obligation to us, its customers, is to provide us with a football match in return for us buying a ticket. Much as we like to know, neither he nor the company has any obligation whatsoever to tell us about transfers, fees, wages, etc. except what is required of them in providing accounts to Companies' House.

Football Club Chairmen are political animals to a man. I have a lot of time for DK but there is no doubt that he is a massive self-publicist. You need people like Harty to push them to deliver answers (like "talking to/looking out/buying five players") that you would not otherwise get. Whatever you think of the presenter himself, we need shows like this to prod and probe.

However, people in Harty's position are often cut from the same cloth - that's why they do what they do. Bring two egos together to discuss football at a time when feelings about the club are enflamed, both with an agenda and you'll get a few sparks.

So no apologies - both got what they want. We're talking about the radio show (Harty with a big smile) and DK got the chance to air his views and reinforce the club position to a wider audience.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I know Hart has the club at heart and is Albion through and through, but sometimes he loves to sh*t stir....knowing it will get listeners on and make a good show ??? Bit like Naylor in the Argus to some degree, having a dig and selling papers off the back of it.

Don't lump Naylor in with Harty. Harty creates a forum for people to debate and occasionally lobs in a catalyst or two to make it peppy.

Naylor has just one voice from one perspective and with no comeback or alter-views.

One creates debate and openness. The other has a one way platform to promote an agenda.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Harty is, as he said, a (very valued) Trustee of CTH/STB, and has always been a massive advocate of both hospices, for which, not only does he give his time, he has personally raised money for both.

And it isn't in a Trustee's 'job description' to take terminally ill children to a football game, so for that alone, he deserves credit

We would also do well to remember the times he has taken a break from the phone in, how much this board was campaigning to get him back as the replacements did not do such a good job on the show!

So FFS give the guy a break!

I don't doubt any of this, i just struggle to see what terminally ill children have to do with any of this.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I don't doubt any of this, i just struggle to see what terminally ill children have to do with any of this.

They don't but perhaps actually stopping and thinking about them for moment might make some people on here getting their knickers in a twist and actually get some perspective.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I reckon your argument would be a lot more convincing if you hadn't mentioned three times you that you "a lot of good work for charidee"

And you do more do you you?

Harty does loads of these trips for kids, he doesn't have to, the kids love it and their charity gets publicity from it, I can't believe that you can object to Ian mentioning that he is doing this type of work either on air or on here.

When you do something selfless and community spirited, then you can have a dig at him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
They don't but perhaps actually stopping and thinking about them for moment might make some people on here getting their knickers in a twist and actually get some perspective.

Exactly.

I have no problem with what either you or DK said.

It seems there are many people far more concerned about it than either of you.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And you do more do you you?

Harty does loads of these trips for kids, he doesn't have to, the kids love it and their charity gets publicity from it, I can't believe that you can object to Ian mentioning that he is doing this type of work either on air or on here.

When you do something selfless and community spirited, then you can have a dig at him.

Why does someone's charity work excuse them from criticism? wtf has that got to do with anything? You've never criticised any footballers, politicians, musicians. film stars, etc in you life then? Because most of them do charity work. Din.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Why does someone's charity work excuse them from criticism? wtf has that got to do with anything? You've never criticised any footballers, politicians, musicians. film stars, etc in you life then? Because most of them do charity work. Din.

I just dont get why you think that because he mentions the work he does for sick kids he should be criticised.

Why the hell should'nt he mention it? and the difference is between him and the Politicians and Footballers you mention is that you criticised him because he mentioned it. Spot the difference?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I reckon your argument would be a lot more convincing if you hadn't mentioned three times you that you "a lot of good work for charidee"

Fair play to Harty for doing charity work for these worthwhile causes and if he can use the internet or BBC SCR to give them a little plug then even better.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
A big man would apologise. Harty is merely a microphone warrior who has the balls of a 2 day old rat. Harty couldn't even spell apologise let alone actually do it. Harty behaved in a childish manner and DK has proved him very wrong.QUOTE]

How true.

Harty is an idiot, end of.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
A big man would apologise. Harty is merely a microphone warrior who has the balls of a 2 day old rat. Harty couldn't even spell apologise let alone actually do it. Harty behaved in a childish manner and DK has proved him very wrong.QUOTE]

How true.

Harty is an idiot, end of.

The only idiots are those who have been so vociferous in their ridiculous criticisms of Harty and DK.

Titanic I am taking 5 boys from the Chestnut Tree House Childrens Hospice, of which I am a trustee, to the game on Saturday as guests of the club, if you can come to the main entrance shortly before one I will provide you with a CD of last weeks show which you can go and listen to in your car and then come back after 2 and discuss what I actually said rather than what you are suggesting.
The chairman has actually listened to the show, and through an independent third party, has thanked me for the way I hosted what was always going to be a potenially explosive show.
As for the Famous Five theme that was actually courtesy of Levo, your preferred phone-in host, would you like me to get him to apologise at the beginning of the Non-league half hour?
Regarding Joleon Lescott I was unaware of what had happened to him and I will certainly apoligse for any offence I may have caused

If I were you Titanic - I would jump at that offer. What a great chance to learn something valuable and lasting, that would teach you more about life in a short time, than most of what you learned at school.

Carpe diem, seize it with both hands.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't. Care.

Both Harty and DK have got a job to do. If Harty or DK make big or controversial statements then let them live and die by them.

Both love the Albion. Both have done a lot of good for us. Both have huge egos.

All part of life's rich fabric.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Don't. Care.

Both Harty and DK have got a job to do. If Harty or DK make big or controversial statements then let them live and die by them.

Both love the Albion. Both have done a lot of good for us. Both have huge egos.

All part of life's rich fabric.

Altough I agree with you in principle, I don't see where you get the 'huge egos' from.

As far as contoversial statements go, it's part of Harty's job to make them to provoke debate (they're not that controversial, anyway).

And I can't see what DK has said that is controversial at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here