Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hoskins - Opinions?

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters

tobemeister6

Jan 15, 2008
Stratford, London
After he's admitted that he left for homesickness in January following the insane run of injurys he had if you were Gus what would you do? He's under contract for another year would you sell or see if you could get the best out of him next season?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I guess being constantly injured and so far from family/friends would be a problem, especially if you haven't really suffered from injuries.

Saying that, Brighton is only 45mins or so further from Nottingham than Bristol, so it can't be a general homesick thing.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
As much as I thought he was a good signing and like what I see, after his somewhat lame excuses I feel he doesnt really want to be fighting for place

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
After he's admitted that he left for homesickness in January following the insane run of injurys he had if you were Gus what would you do? He's under contract for another year would you sell or see if you could get the best out of him next season?

Homesick? Really? That wasn't the impression I got from his tweets at the time. He seemed genuinely shocked and a little bit miffed to be getting shipped off. Can't remember exactly what he posted, but that was certainly the impression I got.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Never been given a proper chance due to injuries + partly his own fault by all accounts. Needs to buckle down, have a good pre-season and then I'm optimistic he can do a good job for us.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Being injured long-term can be a pretty lonely experience for a footballer as both Tommy and Gary D have said. Especially if you're in a new environment. Fair play to him admitting it. I think Gus will probably sit down with him and discuss whether he really wants to be here and what his chances are, because they will depend on other signings.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The problem with trying to answer this and many of these sorts of things is we haven't got the info. All we see is an occasional statement in the media which is quite likely misquoted and may not even be true ... a lot of the inner workings of any club are kept very tightly controlled.

My take on Hoskins is there was some kind of fall out ... Gus strikes me as a bit of a dummy spitter and that was that .... who knows?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The transfer window doesn't close until the end of August so I would keep for now, see how he does in preseason and if he gets a place. If Sheff Utd or Bournemouth are still interested and he hasn't gained a first team place then we haven't lost anything.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Definitely gave the impression the move was forced on him by Poyet at the time. Remember lots of comments about how miserable he looked in his Sheff Utd welcome intervew. Guess some people owe Gus an apology for saying how badly he handled things with Hoskins and shipping him out so quickly, when it was Hoskins that wanted the move, not Poyet.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm sure Naylor's said a few times that Hoskins asked to go and Gus was dissapointed at him not wanting to stay and fight for a place

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it, but he seems to be a bit of a whinger and moaner and is just looking for an excuse to get out.

Shame because I thought he showed a lot of promise, but if he's not happy here for whatever reason, then get rid of.

He needs to take a leaf out of Vicente's book. It must have been horrendously awful for him for a few months, but he kept at it and look what we got in the end!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
No his lack of interests his lame excuses about going back up north to play

Homesickness & family reasons is an old chestnut when players are trying to engineer a move. Is Brighton that much further than Bristol from Nottingham for starters?

The problem is, many players aren't the sharpest knives in the kitchen especially when it comes to Geography. The one that stands out for me was Robbie Savage when he wanted out of Birmingham. When Blackburn came calling for him, he bleated about wanting to be closer to his sick Mother - Who lived in North Wales!

Then there was our very own Jason Peake during the dark days of 96/97. Yep, Mrs P was homesick for the tropical paradise that is Rochdale apparently. Surely enough, Peake eventually got his move. After leaving Brighton, he eventually pitched up at the Northern stronghold of - Plymouth Arygyle.

In this day & age of rapid transportation, the homesickness reason/excuse doesn't cut too much ice.

:rolleyes:Yes, aren't I heartless?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Would like to see Hoskins get fit and fight for his place with us, but suspect he will not be back - or a happy bunny if a move doesn't arise.

Ok Hoskins must be frustrated at last season but I find his excuses a bit lame. Gus's reluctance to play two up front greatly reduced any chance of him getting a run out, assuming he was fit. So can understand him being frustrated, especially after the publicity of a big money transfer (well it was at that time).

As fans we are also entitled to feel frustrated that a player with such promise has never had a decent run to show us what he is capable of. Who knows, if he stayed fit he might have eased CMS or Barnes out and had a decent run in the team?

I think both Hoskins and Harley are enigmas, promising so much but not delivering and then no huge evidence of them being committed to regaining their fitness and form.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Definitely gave the impression the move was forced on him by Poyet at the time. Remember lots of comments about how miserable he looked in his Sheff Utd welcome intervew. Guess some people owe Gus an apology for saying how badly he handled things with Hoskins and shipping him out so quickly, when it was Hoskins that wanted the move, not Poyet.

Like the Noone-Cardiff affair. Until all was revealed, some on NSC were bitching at Gus for letting Noone go, until they realised it was all big spending Cardiff, Noone & his agent.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Guess some people owe Gus an apology for saying how badly he handled things with Hoskins and shipping him out so quickly, when it was Hoskins that wanted the move, not Poyet.

Or maybe, whatever Hoskins is saying now is a bit of re-writing history, as there was no indication that Hoskins wanted the move at the time. Quite the opposite.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Would like to see Hoskins get fit and fight for his place with us, but suspect he will not be back - or a happy bunny if a move doesn't arise.

Ok Hoskins must be frustrated at last season but I find his excuses a bit lame. Gus's reluctance to play two up front greatly reduced any chance of him getting a run out, assuming he was fit. So can understand him being frustrated, especially after the publicity of a big money transfer (well it was at that time).

As fans we are also entitled to feel frustrated that a player with such promise has never had a decent run to show us what he is capable of. Who knows, if he stayed fit he might have eased CMS or Barnes out and had a decent run in the team?

I think both Hoskins and Harley are enigmas, promising so much but not delivering and then no huge evidence of them being committed to regaining their fitness and form.

Trouble is, 4-5-1 is the way forward, as all progressive teams seek to win the midfield first.
Southampton, Reading, West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, M'boro, Blackpool ... all tend towards this strategy.

We've tried 4-4-2 and been outgunned by 3 in midfield & Bridcutt was unfairly trying to stem the tide of numbers almost on his own.

Barnes survived because he could work in midfield too, (as well as scoring regularly).

Can others adapt their game, if they are not the 1 striker?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here