Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will GP feel a bit miffed?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think what really is the cause of my disappointment is it being just one year into the 5 year contract, another 12 months and I would be saying ‘c’est la vie’.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In fairness Cucu is in fact “too good for us” :down:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm disappointed, sure, but I really don't think we need worry about Potter - I'm certainly not.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
A top 10 finish in PL will be tough.

Teams like Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea (probably will be the top 10 moving forwards for most seasons) will always have bigger budgets than us. We are competing with the rest like Everton, Leicester, Palace, Wolves, Southampton, Fulah, Forest budget wise. Keeping our best players when the top 10 teams come calling will be difficult when players will be able to earn a lot more money over a short carreer.

We are doing well punching above our weight budget wise. As fans we should enjoy being in the PL while we are in it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone thought, that last season may just have been one where MC hit his best form and he's worried that he might not be able to replicate it. With this in mind, he's very keen to get his big move now while he's in demand.

No.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Teams like Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea (probably will be the top 10 moving forwards for most seasons) will always have bigger budgets than us. We are competing with the rest like Everton, Leicester, Palace, Wolves, Southampton, Fulah, Forest budget wise. Keeping our best players when the top 10 teams come calling will be difficult when players will be able to earn a lot more money over a short carreer.

We are doing well punching above our weight budget wise. As fans we should enjoy being in the PL while we are in it.

“We’re competing with the rest like Everton” - don’t Everton have the biggest recent spend though?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Newcastle twice ?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
GP's role is to make the best of the players he is given.

Once (if) MC goes he will continue to do that.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can't imagine he is happy. From a position of looking to further push on we've sold our best 2 players. That's not going to please any manager who is ultimately largely judged on results .

As someone said yesterday , the further up the food chain you are the less this should happen. Same with GP as a manager. He will aspire to be in a club that can cherry pick who they want , when they want.

Can he take us further with our transfer policy ..... possibly but we must be right on our upper limits based on last season.

The challenge for him is keep us treading water / going forward but its hard for him with our best 2 gone. I wouldnt blame him for a new challenge tbh , someone like Leicester would appeal once rogers is sacked. Still a big ask for him to get a top 5 club.

** MC isnt sold yet**

Absolutely spot on with all of that except the Leicester thing. GP’s ambitions will extend beyond a club of their relatively moderate PL stature, the recent title notwithstanding. Leicester are equally prone to having their best talent picked off, and no ambitious and talented player’s end goal, or ultimate aspiration, is to play for the likes of Leicester or Brighton.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

I'm delighted that we're competing against such teams - a lot of us are old enough to remember when we were competing against the likes of Barnsley, Bradford City, Lincoln City, Peterborough, Port Vale, Swindon Town, and Tranmere Rovers.

And relying on a fan winning a coca-cola competition to buy a striker.

We've come a long, long, way :)

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Newcastle twice ?

True. I missed out the mighty Leeds.

There are currently 8 Premier League Clubs wholly or partly owned by Americans (Liverpool, Man Utd, Fulham, Chelsea, Palace, Arsenal, Villa and Leeds). Add the 2 oil state owned clubs (Newcastle and Man City) and these 10 owners just need another "5 PL votes" to change the PL constitution and form a new breakaway English super with no relegation. By all accounts Everton and Wolves are currently for sale, and with Spurs hosting NFL games it would not be a surprise if Spurs were sold to Americans too.

The PL broke away 30 years ago to form its own self controlled League. Its only a matter of time before it develops into its own English Super League, particularly if UEFA loses its case against Real Madrid on Clubs being able to form its own leagues outside UEFA's control.

Getting back to the original post, GP will be moving on in due course, but most probably to England rather than a super league club. His main forte is developing players and changings tactics before and during games. Super League clubs will want higher profile managers with European/International experience used to managing susperstar players.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He’ll be very philosophical about it all and will enjoy the challenge of sorting things out, where he will be working with the recruitment team if we go for a replacement. It’s his job.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
As a club, our current business model is to find young players, develop them further and help run the club with the profits this can generate. I get it. GP gets it. We all get it. But…….

Making a decent return on a number of young players of say Championship quality is the ideal perhaps? Having Bissouma in the team for three years and then making the best return we could makes sense. Ben White, although annoying not to really break into the first team long term, has never really been missed, and has helped the finance an awful lot.

Cucurella’s move, if it happens, great numbers on the bottom line. Buy for 15, sell for 50 plus just a year later is great mark up no matter what the currency. But personally I feel a bit let down. Players POTS, Fans. POTS, only signed a FIVE year contract less than 12 months ago and this may leave me with a feeling of ‘what if’, or ‘just one more season’ etc etc. Players agents have a lot to answer for but they do not have the final choice, the player himself does not have the final choice, in this situation it is down to the club. I realise that players can sulk, but not for four long years as they watch their career slip down the drain. A long chat and a decent pay rise with the promise to accomodate the players dreams more easily in just 12 months time would soon overcome this issue in my view.

Or at least it would had the player not actually requested a transfer at all, or seemingly be happy not to just chase trophies and work with the best, but at the drop of a hat want to leave for another of the big boys. MC has lost a little respect from me if true, not that it will trouble him too much!

But what of Mr Potter? He knows the score, but in his shoes I would be annoyed that we do appear to have rolled over quite easily. Maybe if City had offered the £50mill plus and the player really wanted to play for Pep it would be understandable. But that has not occurred. Instead a club that like others just buys success, but without any semblance of flair or panache, are now in the driving seat, and MC is rumoured to still want away and our club seemingly are doing nothing to dissuade him. If that is the case then I think we could be jeopardising the loyalty of GP.

He wants to progress, he enjoys improving players, and perhaps could have done even more with MC. In his shoes, although mindful of the modus operandi, I would have been really hoping to keep Cuc for just one more year. With any luck combining with our new, more attack minded midfield and young enthusiastic prospect up front. Perhaps even start to hope to chase a cup run, or Euro place? That is not too say it cannot happen now, but it may be a bit harder with another new face to gel.

Just maybe it could be enough to make him begin to look for greener pastures if he feels that he can never rely on his best assets to be around the following season. If we’re were to lose Biss, Cuc and Maupay in one close season it would seem a bit of a statement perhaps? Who knows, if we got a good season out of Undav maybe he would be sold off immediately too?

No one is immune to the big sell with Man City selling players to rivals. Not exactly the same but its happening,With City seemingly demanding too much money for a very ordinary Natham Ake ironically enough .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would guess that GP signed into "The Project", will be rightly rewarded from the success of "The Project" and completely knows what he signed into. Up The Albion ... doing it the right and sustainable way, and long may it last. If we want to retain these players and go for Champions League we just need to wait until some Petro State comes to buy us and all that goes with that, I'm very happy with the way the club is being run.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm delighted that we're competing against such teams - a lot of us are old enough to remember when we were competing against the likes of Barnsley, Bradford City, Lincoln City, Peterborough, Port Vale, Swindon Town, and Tranmere Rovers.

And relying on a fan winning a coca-cola competition to buy a striker.

We've come a long, long, way :)

.... and the forty note fund

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I would assume that GP wasn't daft enough when he took the job to not understand the brief that the idea of the club is to develop young players and to make the club sustainable financially. That means selling players that improve at a decent profit. The alternative is to do it the Derby or #Tw@ts way - something none of us want I'm sure. So no, I doubt GP is a bit miffed - he knew what he was getting into.
Is the correct answer! And as potentially his stock rises we should all acknowledge as unpalatable as it is that he may wish to move on to a club that has buckets of cash does not have to follow our sensible business model

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is the business model like it or not. It became the business model as soon as TB realised we’d spaffed £35m on Locadia and Ali J.
We still spend £15m+ on certain players but it’s now on up and coming young internationals who are from far flung leagues or can’t get a start for their top euro club, or proven championship players, rather than because some nobody had one good season in Holland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here