Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Glenn Murray still be a Brighton player for the first game at the Amex?

Murray in the blue & white stripes at the Amex?

• Yes

Votes: 59 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Teams in the Champtionship get approximately £2.9m a season for TV rights, compared to about £450,000 a season for League 1 clubs.

Keeping Murray and gettting promotion is therefore worth about £2.5million to the Albion, far more than any fee we could possibly get for him.

That sounds a pretty convincing argument to me!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Teams in the Champtionship get approximately £2.9m a season for TV rights, compared to about £450,000 a season for League 1 clubs.

Keeping Murray and gettting promotion is therefore worth about £2.5million to the Albion, far more than any fee we could possibly get for him.
I thought those figures went up? 4 million for the Championship and 1 million for league 1

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is this season, according to previous research.

The value of being in the Championship - £4m?

Fair enough, I was just looking at the value of the TV contract, and ignoring the 'solidarity' payment.

There is talk of the PL giving the FL extra cash for changing the formats of the playoffs, so that the team finishing 18th in the PL and 3rd,4th,5th from the FL would contest the final place.,

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Thought he would be staying, but the longer this drags on the more I'm believing he'll be off to pastures new. Really hope he stays as he has been awesome this season. Can't see him not starting being an issue as we have lots of games and other strikers in form

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Will murray be good enough if we go up to make the starting 11????

He is much more likely to be good enough for the Championship than any of our other strikers.

On all evidence so far he is easily a class above Barnes, Wood and Sandaza. Even if Murray stays we need another quality striker to cut it in the Championship ... if we get there.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
maybe the deciding factor will be whether we are promoted, an opportunity for Glenn to play in championship would be the pinnacle of his career. I t would probably affect how much we would be willing to pay him, club and player playing wait and see

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I think he will be, he'd be stupid agreeing a contract now and it makes more sense for him to wait and see if we are looking likely to get promoted into the championship before agreeing a new contract as he will be in a stronger position and be able to get more money and a better deal nearer the end of the season. I think he's just biding his time waiting to see how we fare and then getting himself a better contract just before the end of the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is talk of the PL giving the FL extra cash for changing the formats of the playoffs, so that the team finishing 18th in the PL and 3rd,4th,5th from the FL would contest the final place.,

Didnt the play offs start with the the lowest placed team in the division above that had not been relegated taking part in the lower divisions play offs and this idea was scrapped.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Didnt the play offs start with the the lowest placed team in the division above that had not been relegated taking part in the lower divisions play offs and this idea was scrapped.

Yes, remember watching Leeds v Charlton from the league above in the late 80s. 3 pounds to get in as well...

Orrrrr and this is perhaps wishful thinking, both parties are so confident he will sign, there is no need to rush.

It's about agents and negotiations too, so would they play across the table like a poker game? I doubt that.
"let me discuss your offer with my client" is not considered unreasonable, and I imagine the waiting game is all part of the "looking at our options" sort of statement, as the player might wait to see if he gets other interest aka bargaining power.
All conjecture I realise, but not outlandish I don't think.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think he will be, he'd be stupid agreeing a contract now and it makes more sense for him to wait and see if we are looking likely to get promoted into the championship before agreeing a new contract as he will be in a stronger position and be able to get more money and a better deal nearer the end of the season. I think he's just biding his time waiting to see how we fare and then getting himself a better contract just before the end of the season.

Any contract could be written with clauses for promotion or 'get out clauses' if we are not promoted and have a reasonable offer from a championship side - so do not see a problem there.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Although he is our best striker not sure we could rely on him to produce enough goals if we are promoted to the Championship.
It is understood he has yet to sign a new contract, but has he been offered one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here