Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Dogs ever learn to talk

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I was sitting looking at my dog just now and it got me thinking I wonder if one day a dog could grasp the concept of speech , a bit like in the planet of apes the ape eventually learned to talk .
I'm not talking about any time soon but in a thousand years time everything evolves if you think about it a dog is listening to you talk all day long so over time they might manage a few sentences
I remember that Kevin Costner film waterworld he spent so much time underwater he developed gills like I said everything evolves

Do you get all your ideas from things you see in films?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
so your not actually ruling out my ridicules idea :facepalm::lolol:

Looking back through the history of evolution I wouldn't rule any evolutionary step out completely. Have you ever seen a Slow Loris, it's a venomous primate, oddity!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They can now drive cars but the foreign call centres have problems understanding them when they ring up to organise the insurance.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
They can now drive cars but the foreign call centres have problems understanding them when they ring up to organise the insurance.

I did read about that in the papers a few weeks ago about teaching dogs to drive (this is true honest ) hopefully someone can add it on this thread

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
My cat has just explained the following to me;

Human speech far beyond what a dog's physical structure (genetics) allows.Dogs may not be able to speak English, but they have a wide range of barks, yelps, and whines which they can employ to communicate.

A dog will respond to the consistent use of a word, used by the handler to elicit a specific response from the dog.

If the handler uses a firm tone to correct the dog, the dog will know it has erred & is receiving a correction, but will not see *itself* as bad.

Any word consistently used could be used as praise or as a command.
*Bad dog" could mean = time for a walk, or the command used to leave something.

We can communicate with our dogs & they can learn, but dogs will never speak English.

Then again my cat pleases itself despite what I say

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I was sitting looking at my dog just now and it got me thinking I wonder if one day a dog could grasp the concept of speech , a bit like in the planet of apes the ape eventually learned to talk .
I'm not talking about any time soon but in a thousand years time everything evolves if you think about it a dog is listening to you talk all day long so over time they might manage a few sentences
I remember that Kevin Costner film waterworld he spent so much time underwater he developed gills like I said everything evolves

The alcohol hasn't worn off yet has it Mr 'T' :drink::drink::drink: Happy New Year btw :thumbsup:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My border collie understood so much vocabulary that I had to be careful what I said.
One day maybe there will be a machine developed to compute the nuances in "arf arf" to interpret the meaning..... so we'll hear "two halfs" and treat our pooches to a pint now and then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here