Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Dogs ever learn to talk

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I was sitting looking at my dog just now and it got me thinking I wonder if one day a dog could grasp the concept of speech , a bit like in the planet of apes the ape eventually learned to talk .
I'm not talking about any time soon but in a thousand years time everything evolves if you think about it a dog is listening to you talk all day long so over time they might manage a few sentences
I remember that Kevin Costner film waterworld he spent so much time underwater he developed gills like I said everything evolves

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Dogs do talk. They verbally communicate with other dogs continuously. Dogs may evolve, who knows but they will never "learn" to talk in human language. Their vocal chords are not made to do what ours do. Plus the added complication that dogs would have such a different comprehension of the world around us we wouldn't have a f***ing clue what they were talking about. Now, let this answer be an end to your useless witterings and please come up with a better thread if indeed, you feel you have to start another one. ever.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dogs probably understand a fair bit of speech, few key words and phrases certainly. the problem is not having the vocal chords and voice box we have, so even if they understood us and wanted to reply, they couldnt without some mechanical aid a la Hawking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From last June's New World Scientist magazine...

Genetic scientists in Canada have successfully bred a dog which can talk.

The two-year old King Charles Spaniel called "Noah" was bred in captivity, and has a genetically modified muzzle and tongue which enables him to form short, simple words and repeat them in plain english. The experiment is being hailed as a "significant and extraordinary breakthrough in animal evolution", and could have far reaching ramifications for future pet ownership. "It's an incredible breakthrough" said Dr Robert Zikler, Head of Genetic Engineering at Vancouver University. "The project has exceeded even our wildest expectations. Through a systematic training regime involving repetition and reward, Noah is building up his vocabulary and now knows something like twenty-two words, and that number is increasing on a daily basis".

The King Charles Spaniel was chosen, as in it's natural state, the breed has a particularly short muzzle and small mouth cavity which was crucial to the experiment. "The dimensions of the dog's mouth and jaw is very important" said Dr Zikler. "To be able to form words easily, you actually need a short, strong tongue and a small area of mouth to work with, and by that I mean the tongue must be in close proximity to the front and roof of the mouth. In their natural state, Spaniels already have that advantage over every other breed, and through the genetic electromagnetic modifications made to Noah's DNA when he was still at an embryonic stage, we successfully managed to grow him with a stronger, shorter, less floppy tongue than a dog would normally have, and a more compact muzzle. Then it was just a case of teaching him the coordination to use the tongue and form words in time with his breathing".

Amongst Noah's current vocabulary are the words Hello, Goodbye, Crackers, Bowl, Bark, Start, Stop, Rough, Yes and No, as well as his own name and that of his trainers. Noah's team of trainers are also working on more ambitious and difficult words such as Sausages, Photograph, Fabulous and Scrotum. Amazingly, Dr Zikler anticipates that in six months Noah will be capable of stringing together sentences, and will be answering questions at his own K-9 press conference by the end of next year. "Noah's progress shows no sign of slowing up" said Dr Zikler. "He really knows what he is saying, and only last week he turned round and called me a c**t, although I'm still trying to find out who taught him to say THAT word" he laughed. "We're now within a few years of peoples household pets answering their owners questions, asking questions of their own, and telling their owners what they want and how they feel. Humans will be able to interact with their pets on a whole new level".

Following the success of the Noah project, Dr Zikler's next challenge is to breed a silverback gorilla that can operate a crane.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I was sitting looking at my dog just now and it got me thinking I wonder if one day a dog could grasp the concept of speech , a bit like in the planet of apes the ape eventually learned to talk .
I'm not talking about any time soon but in a thousand years time everything evolves if you think about it a dog is listening to you talk all day long so over time they might manage a few sentences
I remember that Kevin Costner film waterworld he spent so much time underwater he developed gills like I said everything evolves

Are you feeling okay??

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
From last June's New World Scientist magazine...

Genetic scientists in Canada have successfully bred a dog which can talk.

The two-year old King Charles Spaniel called "Noah" was bred in captivity, and has a genetically modified muzzle and tongue which enables him to form short, simple words and repeat them in plain english. The experiment is being hailed as a "significant and extraordinary breakthrough in animal evolution", and could have far reaching ramifications for future pet ownership. "It's an incredible breakthrough" said Dr Robert Zikler, Head of Genetic Engineering at Vancouver University. "The project has exceeded even our wildest expectations. Through a systematic training regime involving repetition and reward, Noah is building up his vocabulary and now knows something like twenty-two words, and that number is increasing on a daily basis".

The King Charles Spaniel was chosen, as in it's natural state, the breed has a particularly short muzzle and small mouth cavity which was crucial to the experiment. "The dimensions of the dog's mouth and jaw is very important" said Dr Zikler. "To be able to form words easily, you actually need a short, strong tongue and a small area of mouth to work with, and by that I mean the tongue must be in close proximity to the front and roof of the mouth. In their natural state, Spaniels already have that advantage over every other breed, and through the genetic electromagnetic modifications made to Noah's DNA when he was still at an embryonic stage, we successfully managed to grow him with a stronger, shorter, less floppy tongue than a dog would normally have, and a more compact muzzle. Then it was just a case of teaching him the coordination to use the tongue and form words in time with his breathing".

Amongst Noah's current vocabulary are the words Hello, Goodbye, Crackers, Bowl, Bark, Start, Stop, Rough, Yes and No, as well as his own name and that of his trainers. Noah's team of trainers are also working on more ambitious and difficult words such as Sausages, Photograph, Fabulous and Scrotum. Amazingly, Dr Zikler anticipates that in six months Noah will be capable of stringing together sentences, and will be answering questions at his own K-9 press conference by the end of next year. "Noah's progress shows no sign of slowing up" said Dr Zikler. "He really knows what he is saying, and only last week he turned round and called me a c**t, although I'm still trying to find out who taught him to say THAT word" he laughed. "We're now within a few years of peoples household pets answering their owners questions, asking questions of their own, and telling their owners what they want and how they feel. Humans will be able to interact with their pets on a whole new level".

Following the success of the Noah project, Dr Zikler's next challenge is to breed a silverback gorilla that can operate a crane.

Ha, where's that from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Harry Redknapp's dog has a bank account. He must be able to talk, unless he opened it on-line?

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Plus the added complication that dogs would have such a different comprehension of the world around us we wouldn't have a f***ing clue what they were talking about. .

It would probably be like one of us listening to one of Gus' pre-match team talks

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh and if they ever did evolve to develop recognisable speech, it would take a damn sight longer than your predicted 1000 years. An evolutionaryt step like that would take hundreds of millions of years

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Oh and if they ever did evolve to develop recognisable speech, it would take a damn sight longer than your predicted 1000 years. An evolutionaryt step like that would take hundreds of millions of years

so your not actually ruling out my ridicules idea :facepalm::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here