Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will bus prices start decreasing again soon?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What does the council have to do with this?

I didn't say the council have anything to do with it. Just that it's the type of justification councils also also fall back on - and politicians generally for that matter.

I fail to see why it's a given that single fares should be so much higher proportionately than all day tickets or why fares have outstripped inflation and fuel costs substantially, but there you go. I'll continue to walk and the bus company can keep taking its city centre customers for mugs.

The difference with football tickets, incidentally, is that it's entirely my choice whether to go and there are obvious benefits for the club in attracting groups of people (merchandise sales, future support etc). Not many people are taking the bus for the sheer joy of the experience. It's just something they need to use and therefore is not as price sensitive as some other businesses, especially as city centre parking is also unjustifiably expensive.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I didn't say the council have anything to do with it. Just that it's the type of justification councils also also fall back on - and politicians generally for that matter.

I fail to see why it's a given that single fares should be so much higher proportionately than all day tickets
or why fares have outstripped inflation and fuel costs substantially, but there you go. I'll continue to walk and the bus company can keep taking its city centre customers for mugs.

The difference with football tickets, incidentally, is that it's entirely my choice whether to go and there are obvious benefits for the club in attracting groups of people (merchandise sales, future support etc). Not many people are taking the bus for the sheer joy of the experience. It's just something they need to use and therefore is not as price sensitive as some other businesses, especially as city centre parking is also unjustifiably expensive.

I do. It's to encourage to purchase multi-journey tickets.

The Albion do the equivalent of that too.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have the council spent any money improving the Albion's facilities and services to the detriment of some of the public?

You may have to enlighten me as to what your point is.

If you're talking about bus lanes, you could make an argument that the answer is 'yes'. Building the Lewes Road bus lanes - fully endorsed by the club (and all of the council) - is there for, among others, the club's benefit - in the form of an improvement in public transport services to and from the stadium.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You may have to enlighten me as to what your point is.

If you're talking about bus lanes, you could make an argument that the answer is 'yes'. Building the Lewes Road bus lanes - fully endorsed by the club (and all of the council) - is there for, among others, the club's benefit - in the form of an improvement in public transport services to and from the stadium.

My point was that we can choose not to go to the Albion and pay the prices, we can choose not to use the buses but when public money is being spent to assist the bus companies to the detriment of some of the public, then people have a right to complain about the prices.

I get that your very pro the buses and the bus lanes. I am in theory but I don't feel currently we're getting anywhere near enough value for money either in relation to fares or in what we get from spending public money to help the bus company.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It kind of exists now with PlusBus which you just add on to your train ticket when you buy it. Could be wrong, but i think for the Brighton PlusBus, if you have The Key smartcard it gets uploaded onto that, so you can use your Southern Rail Key Card on the Brighton buses (Metrobus too).

Should Go Ahead lose the Southern rail franchise, then there is no chance of integration.

PlusBus works out brilliant value for me. I have an annual season ticket to London, and the PlusBus was only £250 on top. That works out at about £4.80 a week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here