Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins out...

Wilkins - In or out?

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As everybody knows a contract means nothing in football there are many managers given a contract and then sacked 6 months later.

The backing most people consider to be of signifcance is the signing of players that the manager wants. In this case the jury is out because nobody really knows if we have gone after many players as there is very little in the press of any anticipated signings etc.

A midfielder or two have been mentioned but no positive outcome on a permanent basis as yet.

The point about the contract is that the club are prepared to personally financially back Dean Wilkins for three years - even if gets the boot after six months. If that happens to be the scenario, the club are going to look a right bunch of charlies - but nonetheless, back him they have.

As for the signing of players, Dean Wilkins makes a point of telling no-one not directly involved with the signing about it. Anything we hear is either from the other club, the player's agent or press speculation based on those other two sources. Whatever, neither Wilkins nor the club are ever a source.

The club always makes enquiries about players Dean Wilkins wants, provided they know that they can afford him - be it any transfer fee or the player's salary. Whether that player comes here after that is another issue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not exactly true because ifa manager gets the sack it is very rae that they get paid up fully for their contract but in most cases a settlement is mutually agree. In our case because of lack of money we pay them as if they still worked for us eg McGhee and Booker.

Usually there is press speculation in every tabloid on Sunday of what club is interested in which player but Brighton is very rarely mentioned. I am not saying that is bad thing but it means that normal people who dont attend breakfasts etc do not know the full situation, only jesting about breakfasts.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
WW, you are forgetting Whing and Forster. Whing is certainly a key performer and we are only seeing glimpses of what Forster is capable of. He was bedding down and then got injured. True, he has made some poor loan signings, but it is difficult to get a classy player cheaply. Bowditch may have turned out to be a great signing, but we were unlucky with his injuries (although he was known to be injury prone).

Aside from that, I think we would all agree that Keith Lowe was a class act. :jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Probably not the best of moments to explain, but i'll give it my best shot.

As a person - i think his interviews are RUBBISH, i disagree with many of the opinions voiced in his interviews, and he bores me as much as I probably bore you (and if that isn't a good comparision, then you can probably replace 'me' with 'Hove Born & bread')

As a MANAGER - he pisses me off more often than not. 90% of the time He DOESN'T pick a side i agree with

He has a habit of making GASH substitions (can't argue with the ones he made on Saturday though, even if they were obvious)

His signings have, generally speaking, been pretty woeful. Savage and O'Callaghan i can''t argue with however, and probably Flinders too...but the rest have been toss.

Even now (with a winning team) he doesn't generally convince me. The french bloke...is he really better than the rest of our midfielders? Do the playing staff actually WANT to play for HIM? Is El-Abd really better than Butters? Should Robinson really be playing up front when he's managed one scuffed finish against a tinpot outfit in a competition nobody cares about? Why has it taken him so long to realise Bas ISN'T a winger? If we have one bad game against poor opposition, is he REALLY the man who can turn it around, and avoid a 6 match losing streak?

Fortunately, we AREN'T on a losing streak, we're WINNING games for once, and in the last couple of weeks, he's actually got his subs spot on, so i can't really complain (unless you really question me, as you have done!). Hopefully, i won't have to raise those issues again...but until he's been consistent over a longer period of time, i can't help but question him.

Still, you never know, and all that.:)

Blimey, a real little ray of sunshine aren't you? MOANER is right, and no mistake.

So, you don't like his voice. You don't like his opinions. You don't like his playing style. You don't like the sides he puts out - cos obviously, it's important to you that he agrees with your playing choice. (You've clearly missed your vocation in life.) You think Richards, Forster and Whing have been toss. You're fairly convinced (admittedly I'm putting words in your mouth here - but I am reading between the lines) that a six-match losing streak is just around the corner, and when it does turn up, he won't know how to handle it?

Apart from that you can't stand the guy, right?

And how long must this consistent streak go on before he can receive the benefit of your approval? So far, I count it as being one defeat in seven in the league, with three goals conceded. What figure would you put on it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not exactly true because ifa manager gets the sack it is very rae that they get paid up fully for their contract but in most cases a settlement is mutually agree. In our case because of lack of money we pay them as if they still worked for us eg McGhee and Booker.

Usually there is press speculation in every tabloid on Sunday of what club is interested in which player but Brighton is very rarely mentioned. I am not saying that is bad thing but it means that normal people who dont attend breakfasts etc do not know the full situation, only jesting about breakfasts.

I don't think Booker was on a contract. And McGhee was - as you state - worked out amicably. The previous person to be sacked and leave the club was Jeff Wood. Can't remember if any settlement details were issued it was so long ago.

The thing about press speculation is that the club make a point of not telling anyone. I am sure the inner inner circle get to hear the latest stories - but believe me, I am nowhere near that sanctum. :)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Blimey, a real little ray of sunshine aren't you? MOANER is right, and no mistake.

So, you don't like his voice. You don't like his opinions. You don't like his playing style. You don't like the sides he puts out - cos obviously, it's important to you that he agrees with your playing choice. (You've clearly missed your vocation in life.) You think Richards, Forster and Whing have been toss. You're fairly convinced (admittedly I'm putting words in your mouth here - but I am reading between the lines) that a six-match losing streak is just around the corner, and when it does turn up, he won't know how to handle it?

Apart from that you can't stand the guy, right?

And how long must this consistent streak go on before he can receive the benefit of your approval? So far, I count it as being one defeat in seven in the league, with three goals conceded. What figure would you put on it?

1) Yes, it's been well established that i'm a moaner a LONG time ago...where have you been? Christ, i'd have thought a man of twenty thousand posts would have picked up on that by now....

2) Richards - a good signing? Jesus, until about a fortnight ago, it was largely established that the man was a waste of space! He's had 2 good games...that means sod all in my eyes. Once he's had a succession of good displays, then i suspect i'll be convinced. Forster? Again, he's been injured, scored a couple of quick-fire braces, and don't precisely f*** ALL else. Don't tell me he's been a sucess. Given that Bobby Z is the only player that we've spent more on in the last decade, he's been a spectacular flop. Whing has been good, granted...i can't really deny that one!

3) I'm not fairly convinced that we're due a losing streak...i'm just cautious. I really WANT us to be doing well/going up, bla bla bla. But i'm not going to get carried away, i've ,made that mistake before. You can't deny the fact that when we've lost games last season, we've spectacularly slumped, and Wilkins hasn't found a way around that. Thankfully, we've barely lost this season, something which Wilkins, as much as i DONT like him, deserves credit for.

4) I have no idea WHEN i'l have faith in him. But so far under Wilkins, we've had 4/5ths of a season of absolute TURD, and 1/5th of a new season of fairly average football with GOOD results. If the results continue, then i'm sure i'll see 'sense', and find the guy likeable. But for the moment, he's done too much which i don't like, and i'll remain CAUTIOUS of that until i see fit.

Problem?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oooh, aren't we aggressive? I don't think you're cautious - I would say I'M cautious. I would say that - by that measure - you're excessively pessimistic and looking for problems - especially where, in certain cases, none exist. And I know you're a moaner - it's why I don't take you too seriously and can't get narked at you. I take it with a pinch of salt. In fact, I usually laugh.

There is one thing I will pick you up on, though.

You can't deny the fact that when we've lost games last season, we've spectacularly slumped, and Wilkins hasn't found a way around that. Thankfully, we've barely lost this season, something which Wilkins, as much as i DONT like him, deserves credit for.

You've answered the point yourself, yet you still seem fit to moan about it. Yes, we lost games last season, but that was last season. Why are you going on about that? The mere fact that we're not losing games this season means Wilkins HAS found a way round it, yet you say he hasn't.

And if you did want him to prove it, he can't until we go on a six-match losing streak. But we haven't, so he can't.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oooh, aren't we aggressive? I don't think you're cautious - I would say I'M cautious. I would say that - by that measure - you're excessively pessimistic and looking for problems - especially where, in certain cases, none exist. And I know you're a moaner - it's why I don't take you too seriously and can't get narked at you. I take it with a pinch of salt. In fact, I usually laugh.

There is one thing I will pick you up on, though.

You can't deny the fact that when we've lost games last season, we've spectacularly slumped, and Wilkins hasn't found a way around that. Thankfully, we've barely lost this season, something which Wilkins, as much as i DONT like him, deserves credit for.

You've answered the point yourself, yet you still seem fit to moan about it. Yes, we lost games last season, but that was last season. Why are you going on about that? The mere fact that we're not losing games this season means Wilkins HAS found a way round it, yet you say he hasn't.

And if you did want him to prove it, he can't until we go on a six-match losing streak. But we haven't, so he can't.

1) If you don't take me at all seriously, then why the HELL are you posting about me at 1am?

2) Yes, i will ADMIT to being pessimistic.....that doesn't mean i WANT to be right though. All being well, YOU are the one who's right regarding the manager. But it's not got the stage yet where I'M prepared to admit that...(i don't give a toss about admitting i'm wrong, as i seem to do that all the time....so if there's a time i think it's appropriate, i'm not going to deny that the bloke is good...however, he's still got a lot to prove to me first. I've based my opinion on a couple of AVERAGE streaks last season, and a few LOSING streaks last season. This season, we seem to be on one fairly SOLID streak. I can't argue with that! Keep it up, and i'll be chuffed (honest!)...but it's still far too early days to win me over completely, and last seasons actions mean i can't see it happening to be honest. Again though, i HOPE i'm wrong!

3) You're accusing me of moaning, and questioning 'why i'm going on'. The only 'moans' i'm giving are my opinions that YOU'VE asked from me. I'm only moaning because YOU'VE practically asked me to! I wouldn't be moaning otherwise, as i'm QUITE CONTENT at the moment. And believe me, it makes a PLEASANT change!!!

edit: apologies for my excessive capitalisation:D

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't think Booker was on a contract.
One of the things that McGhee did was to make sure the backroom staff did have contracts because until that time, they didn't.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
1) If you don't take me at all seriously, then why the HELL are you posting about me at 1am?

2) Yes, i will ADMIT to being pessimistic.....that doesn't mean i WANT to be right though. All being well, YOU are the one who's right regarding the manager. But it's not got the stage yet where I'M prepared to admit that...(i don't give a toss about admitting i'm wrong, as i seem to do that all the time....so if there's a time i think it's appropriate, i'm not going to deny that the bloke is good...however, he's still got a lot to prove to me first. I've based my opinion on a couple of AVERAGE streaks last season, and a few LOSING streaks last season. This season, we seem to be on one fairly SOLID streak. I can't argue with that! Keep it up, and i'll be chuffed (honest!)...but it's still far too early days to win me over completely, and last seasons actions mean i can't see it happening to be honest. Again though, i HOPE i'm wrong!

3) You're accusing me of moaning, and questioning 'why i'm going on'. The only 'moans' i'm giving are my opinions that YOU'VE asked from me. I'm only moaning because YOU'VE practically asked me to! I wouldn't be moaning otherwise, as i'm QUITE CONTENT at the moment. And believe me, it makes a PLEASANT change!!!

edit: apologies for my excessive capitalisation:D

Your reasons for not liking the guy was that he doesnt do what you would want him to do......ok ok so your a normal fan in that respect...but

Wilkins is the Manager.....he played 100's of professional games.....has all the qualifications......and been involved within the pro game all his life......maybe...just maybe your opinions dont concur with his because your clueless whilst he has a chance to be a very very good Manager.:glare:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Probably not the best of moments to explain, but i'll give it my best shot.

As a person - i think his interviews are RUBBISH, i disagree with many of the opinions voiced in his interviews, and he bores me as much as I probably bore you (and if that isn't a good comparision, then you can probably replace 'me' with 'Hove Born & bread')

As a MANAGER - he pisses me off more often than not. 90% of the time He DOESN'T pick a side i agree with

He has a habit of making GASH substitions (can't argue with the ones he made on Saturday though, even if they were obvious)

His signings have, generally speaking, been pretty woeful. Savage and O'Callaghan i can''t argue with however, and probably Flinders too...but the rest have been toss.

Even now (with a winning team) he doesn't generally convince me. The french bloke...is he really better than the rest of our midfielders? Do the playing staff actually WANT to play for HIM? Is El-Abd really better than Butters? Should Robinson really be playing up front when he's managed one scuffed finish against a tinpot outfit in a competition nobody cares about? Why has it taken him so long to realise Bas ISN'T a winger? If we have one bad game against poor opposition, is he REALLY the man who can turn it around, and avoid a 6 match losing streak?

Fortunately, we AREN'T on a losing streak, we're WINNING games for once, and in the last couple of weeks, he's actually got his subs spot on, so i can't really complain (unless you really question me, as you have done!). Hopefully, i won't have to raise those issues again...but until he's been consistent over a longer period of time, i can't help but question him.

Still, you never know, and all that.:)

Got to speak as i find, last season when we played Oldham, on the friday night we just so happened to stay in the same hotel as the squad, at around 9.15pm we were in the bar (it was VERY busy) and Dean and some of the backroom staff walked in (the way they walked about the bar was as if they were looking for any of the players that should not have been there :drink:, there were no players in the bar i might add !!) but when he walked past our table, we spoke to him, and all i can say is what i really nice guy, he answered all the questions i put to him and gave us all the time in the world.

And in all fairness to the bloke, when we went to the friendly at Billericky, he reckonized us and said hello, considering all the people he must meet i was quite impressed, i appreciate your arguement is on the way he runs things etc, but you have to remember we are a Div 1 club with very limited resources, and i believe he does the best he can with what he has available.

Like all managers, he will make decisions that will not make everyone happy, but thats life, i personally do believe the players want to play for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here