Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wilkins of 2 holland

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Don't think he was really up to the job. Being media shy as a manger doesn't help and his tactics/substiutions at times were just laughable.

Brilliant youth coach however and wouldn't be surpised to see him at a prem club. Dont see him managing higher than conference though.

Also the constant snipings of ex players at his man mangement skills leaves a doubt over that as well. Dont think he has the overall package to be a successful manager.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
But then in his only full season he took his team to seventh in league one. He also made some decent signings and loans. Couple that with his reputation and experience as a coach and I reckon you've got a package that would tempt a league two or even another league one club.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Btw, has this actually been confirmed anywhere? I have looked on google but cant find nowt.

There's a "rumours" section on the FC Twente fans' messageboard. Just took a look, and there's nothing on there.

I did note that a couple of weeks ago they thought they were getting Paul Robinson and Peter Crouch...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No offence Skintman, but you (and your source) seem to have a patchy record when it comes to making predictions.

I am still waiting for Mayo to join Brentford, McGhee to join MK Dons, Pearce to joing the Albion, T & L fastenings to sponsor us and Paul Kidman (who?) to sign for us.
So you're not a fully paid up member of Brian Talbot's blue and white army? ???

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
But then in his only full season he took his team to seventh in league one. He also made some decent signings and loans. Couple that with his reputation and experience as a coach and I reckon you've got a package that would tempt a league two or even another league one club.

I agree entirely. If he applied for jobs at that level I'm sure he'd get another chance as a manager. And deservedly IMO.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Maybe, I would be tempted to say we finished in 7th despite him and not because of him. We failed to start games so often it was ridiculous, I honestly think we could have got to the play-offs under a better manager?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Maybe, I would be tempted to say we finished in 7th despite him and not because of him. We failed to start games so often it was ridiculous, I honestly think we could have got to the play-offs under a better manager?

I would have to agree with that.

We conceded early a lot and ended up playing catch up far too often

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
No

I am really sorry but I think you are wrong. We were in a crap division last year but had two good goalscorers. The football was dire and the atmosphere round the place was dying. I do not think you will see him as a league manager.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Surely it's only conjecture to say that we'd have got to the play-offs with a better manager? How much better would the manager need to be? What manager would have got us in the play offs? It's not like we were favourites to go up, most 'experts' had us as mid table or lower, I think. If he has flaws as a manager, I don't think they are so serious as to totally negate his positives-namely his reputation as a coach, his work with young players, his generally good loan signings and the fact that he took a side that finished 18th(?) in the league in 2007 to 7th in 2008. I reckon that's enough for him to get a job at at least a league two club.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I am really sorry but I think you are wrong. We were in a crap division last year but had two good goalscorers. The football was dire and the atmosphere round the place was dying. I do not think you will see him as a league manager.

I can't comment on the football or the atmosphere as I didn't see any games. All I can comment on is what his time in charge looked like to an 'outsider'. He finished seventh, got good loan signings and bought good players(for example the two strikers you mention). That on the face of it is enough to get him re-employed, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here