Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wikileaks is slowly being taken out by the establishment

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Standard for anyone of no fixed abode.

Although given the influential people that offered to put up thousands in surety for him, I would imagine one of them would happily have put him up thus giving him address. The blokes being lined up for a fall and frankly it stinks.

If only Wikileaks was around when JFK was shot by the CIA .... sorry .... Lee Harvey Oswald.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The danger here is that our Govt will be soft enough to allow him to be sent to that 'Father of Democracy' the USA !!

Well we do have a special relationship.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That dickhead's only got himself to blame. He keeps putting US military secrets on t'internet, what did he think was going to happen?

He's lucky they haven't got him on some phoney paedo charges like they did with Michael Jackson.

Has he? As was pointed on the news this morning the US do not tend to go after newspapers who print similar leaks. It will be interesting to see if/whether he gets charged by the US. They hold their constitution and freedom of speech highest, and if you consider the gun legislation enshrined in it you can argue they hold it higher than their own personal safety. I understand that 'journalists' pretty much have a right to publish most of this sort of stuff under the First Amendment....and the vast majority of it is available to millions of yanks anyway, and available to any of us if you have the right and seemingly low-level contact. So, the idea he is endangering US lives anymore than normal is a bit fanciful....and a line the US government seem to be retreating from now.

The rumour they're trying to get him on a 1917 espionage law says a lot.

My feeling is that if he was a 'regular' US journo drip feeding stuff in the press he'd be fine. The sheer volume of the leaks and his non-US citizenship are his problems.

As an aside, he cuts and amazing figure and is total rock n roll: dandy suits, gold rimmed aviators, a string of blonds around the world and numerous countries, agencies and establishments genuinly rattled and out to get him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has he? As was pointed on the news this morning the US do not tend to go after newspapers who print similar leaks. It will be interesting to see if/whether he gets charged by the US. They hold their constitution and freedom of speech highest, and if you consider the gun legislation enshrined in it you can argue they hold it higher than their own personal safety. I understand that 'journalists' pretty much have a right to publish most of this sort of stuff under the First Amendment....and the vast majority of it is available to millions of yanks anyway, and available to any of us if you have the right and seemingly low-level contact. So, the idea he is endangering US lives anymore than normal is a bit fanciful....and a line the US government seem to be retreating from now.

The rumour they're trying to get him on a 1917 espionage law says a lot.

My feeling is that if he was a 'regular' US journo drip feeding stuff in the press he'd be fine. The sheer volume of the leaks and his non-US citizenship are his problems.

As an aside, he cuts and amazing figure and is total rock n roll: dandy suits, gold rimmed aviators, a string of blonds around the world and numerous countries, agencies and establishments genuinly rattled and out to get him.

Oh, and I do not think Wikileaks will die. I think it is here to stay. Whether you think it is right or wrong it's here to stay, there's little to nothing we can do so we need to adapt.......a bit like filesharing platforms for music really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And whilst we're on the subject, I wonder how my own personal Julian Assange is getting on? Bushyleaks has so far told NSC's faithful my name...having been an Albion fan and face since 1977 loads of you already know this. I was raised in Newhaven, again no secret, a lot of you know this as you know me and it is also on this site...... the road I live in...which again I freely refer to on here from time to time. What next? The world exclusive that I'm an Albion fan?

The similarities end here though. Julian's tailored suits would be wasted on a chubby figure, his leaks are of interest and those Swedes...well, not even in your wildest dreams Bushy. Those gold rimmed aviators will do well to hide your ugly mug though :lolol:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Oh, and I do not think Wikileaks will die. .

...and nor should it,... but the result of this 'exercise' has achieved exactly the opposite of what it intended to do, ie produce and encourage open and transparent government and diplomacy, hasn't it?..... everything will be behind even thicker closed doors from now on, creating a diplomatic black market leading in the end to even more shadowy processes and sinister departments to control and police them............... you reap what you sow.....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
the plot thickens...

The way the US in particular has reacted...completely contradicts what they say they defend.

QUOTE]

Really?!?!?.... like the list of all these sensitive sites that are now in real focus for any nutter who chooses to strap some semtex to themselves and do the deed?.... Lets hope none of your relatives work in or near some of these UK companies or sites,... eh?..... or is that different somehow?....

So, would you be able to 'find' one of the sensitive sites? As far as what ive seen, they dont give specifics, and the ones that are given specifics are in the telephone directory. Think youre being a bit theatrical.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...and nor should it,... but the result of this 'exercise' has achieved exactly the opposite of what it intended to do, ie produce and encourage open and transparent government and diplomacy, hasn't it?..... everything will be behind even thicker closed doors from now on, creating a diplomatic black market leading in the end to even more shadowy processes and sinister departments to control and police them............... you reap what you sow.....

The flaw I see in your arguement is that 'sinister' departments will not be able to control or police. The public will always be one step ahead. They'll always be a smarter person 'outside' than in. Wikileaks has been on the cards for years....it just needed someone with the balls to do it. And now they have, the rules will need to change but I do not think it will create a diplomatic black market. If it does...you can bet your last dollar it will be all over the net soon after.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, would you be able to 'find' one of the sensitive sites? As far as what ive seen, they dont give specifics. Think youre being a bit theatrical.

As I understand it, the sensitive sites issue is a red herring. Millions of Americans are legally allowed access to the info....and a lot of it is already out there in the public domain if you know where to look. Rememner, a lot of people work for the US military.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So, would you be able to 'find' one of the sensitive sites? As far as what ive seen, they dont give specifics. Think youre being a bit theatrical.

I don't think it would take a brain surgeon to extrapolate from the information listed,.. and you are extremely naive if you think this info that Wikileak has kept so closely guarded across several thousand locations and with several hundred individuals as 'insurance', is not going to be readily retreived by unscrupulous organisations with money to burn,........ or havnt you thought of that one.?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think youre naive if you think that the sites mentioned are not fecking obvious anyway. Do you think we are under attack by a troop of brownies or something?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
As I understand it, the sensitive sites issue is a red herring. Millions of Americans are legally allowed access to the info....and a lot of it is already out there in the public domain if you know where to look. Rememner, a lot of people work for the US military.

Yes, but this list has brought collective focus on the key ones, and many soft targets that dont carry the same security infrastructure, but would cause an impact if attacked and the inevitable casualties.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Think youre naive if you think that the sites mentioned are not fecking obvious anyway.

Many yes,... but as said above, there are many more that would not have been in the forefront of a terrorists mind, but now have been given focus in a very public way,.... reality, not naivity.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
OR what if Wikileaks is run by the Illuminati who also run the worlds Governments, just to make us THINK we keeping the Governments in check...

Nah me neither.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The flaw I see in your arguement is that 'sinister' departments will not be able to control or police. The public will always be one step ahead. They'll always be a smarter person 'outside' than in. Wikileaks has been on the cards for years....it just needed someone with the balls to do it. And now they have, the rules will need to change but I do not think it will create a diplomatic black market. If it does...you can bet your last dollar it will be all over the net soon after.

I will let you carry on in blissful ignorance that the 'powers' will not have the ability now to close this comms loophole and go 'underground'.... over and out sir.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

??? have to contradict couple of points there. the public will always be behind since they await a leak, an insider willing to pass information. Also wikileaks has been going to years, usually focusing on corporations and developing nation governments. its not so much "balls" as bravado and a increasing desire for publicity that has led Assange to this point. for the sake of some fairly tedious information too. I dont think it will change much in diplomatic circles, other than maybe being more candid and formal in electronic communications. This doesnt change much in the world except one mans life, as you say earlie he isnt really endangering anyone.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here