Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Wii's are sh1te

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Computer games haven't been just for kids for a long time now.

It's no secret that most of the players in the Premiership are keen Playstation fans, and I should imagine it's a similar story further down the leagues too. Does this make footballers children?

Ice Age and Toy Story are films made for children but they still manage to slip a few bits in to keep the older generations interested, and to call all animated films "for kids" is just ignorant of an entire genre.

If you're not into computer games so be it, you don't have to be. But as a multi billion dollar industry you can hardly write it off as a silly, childish pastime.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Bluejuice said:
It's no secret that most of the players in the Premiership are keen Playstation fans, and I should imagine it's a similar story further down the leagues too. Does this make footballers children?
The way they throw the toys out the pram at the slightest little thing? Yes, yes they are!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bluejuice said:
Computer games haven't been just for kids for a long time now.

Ice Age and Toy Story are films made for children but they still manage to slip a few bits in to keep the older generations interested, and to call all animated films "for kids" is just ignorant of an entire genre.

If you're not into computer games so be it, you don't have to be. But as a multi billion dollar industry you can hardly write it off as a silly, childish pastime.

Using Premiership footballers as an example of adult behaviour???

As regard to the films it's not ignorant of the genre, it's realising just because the odd bit of middle of the road adult humour is slipped into it doesn't make it for adults. The Simpson's transcends its childlike medium, films by pixar do not.

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I was getting at Woodchip's point that there are a great many animated films which aren't for children AT ALL. But I see your point if you're talking specifically about Pixar style films, which are for children.

Also the Premiership footballer analogy was just trying to bring the thread round to football so it would fit in better. Admittedly it's hardly the best measure of adulthood but it still isn't right to call the gaming industry one that makes its money from children because this simply isn't true.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bluejuice said:
I was getting at Woodchip's point that there are a great many animated films which aren't for children AT ALL. But I see your point if you're talking specifically about Pixar style films, which are for children.

Also the Premiership footballer analogy was just trying to bring the thread round to football so it would fit in better. Admittedly it's hardly the best measure of adulthood but it still isn't right to call the gaming industry one that makes its money from children because this simply isn't true.

I didn't say it made all it's money from Children.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
If you're saying as broad a statement as "all computer games are for children" then surely you're implying therefore that computer games are designed for children with children in mind, the idea behind which being to ultimately profit from children

Unless you're suggesting that computer games ARE designed for children but accept that the money in the industry comes predominantly from affluent young males as some sort of coincidence?

There ARE computer games for children but there is arguably more money to be made from appealing to a far broader spectrum of people, as is evident from some of the best-selling computer game franchises (Grand Theft Auto games all having been rated certificate 18 cannot be accused of being designed for children, nor would you classify Championship/Football Manager games in this bracket).

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bluejuice said:
If you're saying as broad a statement as "all computer games are for children" then surely you're implying therefore that computer games are designed for children with children in mind, the idea behind which being to ultimately profit from children

Unless you're suggesting that computer games ARE designed for children but accept that the money in the industry comes predominantly from affluent young males as some sort of coincidence?

There ARE computer games for children but there is arguably more money to be made from appealing to a far broader spectrum of people, as is evident from some of the best-selling computer game franchises (Grand Theft Auto games all having been rated certificate 18 cannot be accused of being designed for children, nor would you classify Championship/Football Manager games in this bracket).

Not being rude Bluejuice but I don't care about this topic enough to even get involved in a debate on it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Haha

:winner:

computer games are for COOL GANGSTA DUDES

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Les Biehn said:
Not being rude Bluejuice but I don't care about this topic enough to even get involved in a debate on it.

Nibble said:
There are a lot of self righteous pricks who think they are above everyone but actually they love arguing on threads as it gives them a chance to try and sound superior but they always end up going silent because they do not have the capacity to sustain an argument.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
:lolol: Wozza's been waiting so long for something like that. Sad bastard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here