Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wicker coffins

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was out for a spin, on my bike today.
Going through Barnham I caught up with a horse drawn hearse.
Not wanting to spook the horses I coasted behind, said hearse, until I could give it a wide enough berth.

The coffin inside was wicker, it looked like a big picnic basket.

As I've not seen it before so am a little curious, was it the whole coffin or just a fancy outer?, is it cheaper or more expensive?, is it for enviromental reasons?

I guess this is a thread for Harty.

And for the record I managed to go 40.5mph coming down Arundel hill, :clap2:, which is a big thing for me as I normally max out at an annoying 39.something mph.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I imagine that it is for environmental reasons. There is a company somewhere near Brighton called Ecopod that sells cardboard ones for the same reason.

My brother-in-law is an undertaker, and he had to look into it for a particular client. The ecopod ones are outrageous - over a grand! [for a big cardboard box].

As I said to him at the time, they'd be doing more for the environment getting a cheap wooden one from sustainable sources and giving £500 to Freinds of the Earth.

Or better still, get cremated and give them the whole grand.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
...just a fancy outer?

emilyblunttr4.jpg

Hold on, I may have mis-read that...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
we had a wicker (willow) coffin. not for environmental reasons as such though. we picked it because it looked more like a bed and comfortable than a solid wooden box with a heavy lid.

the whole thing was made of wicker and was lined with cotton. pretty much like a babies moses basket. it was handmade (we had special handles and bands/ribbon woven into it) to order and cost more than the solid oak one they offered us.

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
I can only agrree with starry.when my mother died we looked at all the standard,box,completely cold looking wooden coffins.
The wicker stood out far nicer than the rest,and again we had a florist dress the coffin with subtle flowers/ribbons.
It looked lovely and is so much softer than those hard boxes.they also do them in cane which also looks better than standard.
There a lot more expensive..but so much nicer..

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There an eco funeral parlour near Brighton station run by a friendly group of mumsie ladies

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Can't remeber if it's an undertakers or not, but there's a place just down the road from Brighton Station on Surrey Stree (en route to The Evening Star :drink:) that has wicker coffins in the window.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There's a terrible echo in here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
don't know, is there an echo in here

A friend of mine was buried at Plumpton in a wicker coffin. It looked splendid, as it was carried to the grave in procession, to the accompaniment of songs from Gilbert and Sullivan.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Are you allowed to make your own coffin or is there like a British Standard. A grand for a wooden box is loony. If it were me I'd rather someone knocked me up something from B & Q and gave the money to charity. How about coffin hire? Once the curtains close you don't need the box anymore. What a waste if all them coffins get burnt.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think I'll settle for a cardboard one then I can laugh from up above as the bottom falls out!

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I got a wicker one for my Nana, but it was less than £200 including delivery? I didn't get it through the funeral directors, but ordered it myself and had it sent there. I know if you have a normal coffin the main cost is for the brass handles and fixtures, which they take off before the cremation anyway! I dont know where quotes of £1000 are coming from for these envo. boxes. Look online and the cardboard coffins are as little as £145 including delivery!
We threaded some garden flowers through the little slats in the coffin and it looked lovely. She'd have been well chuffed with it. Well, if she hadn't snuffed it of course.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
We can design and deliver a completely personal coffin. Family photos, football teams, war decorations, personal tributes – we can create any image you choose.

(Or you can buy a blank one and do it yourself!)

I saw a very sad one like this in one of my crap womens mags this week. A little lad who had a spiderman one. It was done beautifully though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here