Wi-Fi on phone

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Probably. To use it as a phone you would need to get Skype or some such similar app. That said, the phone you've picked out doesn't look like it can have apps or have the ability to connect to wifi.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You can use any modern mobile device to connect to free or paid for wi-fi networks without any additional charges. You won't even need a SIM in most cases.

But I wouldn't buy that handset

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes but to send/recieve regular text messages or make regular phone calls, you'd still need a simcard and credit for that, of course there are apps like whatsapp and skype that could do this, but you can get these on a lot of phones these days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Not wanting to spend a great deal of money on this facility its looks like a second hand i pod touch would be the business. I see they are now fourth generation, but will everything back to first generation do Wi-Fi?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not wanting to spend a great deal of money on this facility its looks like a second hand i pod touch would be the business. I see they are now fourth generation, but will everything back to first generation do Wi-Fi?

Yes, but not with facetime/skype facilities. All of them do WIFI.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes, but not with facetime/skype facilities. All of them do WIFI.

Thanks Superphil. I never use Skype on the move and have never heard of facetime so looks good to go.

Apart from scratched screens is there anything else to look out for on a pre-owned i pod touch?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks Superphil. I never use Skype on the move and have never heard of facetime so looks good to go.

Apart from scratched screens is there anything else to look out for on a pre-owned i pod touch?

As has been discussed on here many times, Apple engenders a fan like devotion, and for many, the box and packaging is part of the whole thing of buying an Apple product. I've bought a fair amount of used Apple computers and stuff, and having the original box and manuals is a real sign of the product being looked after, and probably only one owner. I'd certainly be prepared to pay slightly more for a used Apple product that had original packaging than one that didn't.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Basically, what Bold Seagull said. If you can find one with original packing etc, then you're probably onto to a good thing. When you get it, do a complete factory restore (in iTunes) and that will put the latest OS on it. Might be worth lookng here Refurbished iPod Deals - Apple Store (UK) for an Apple warrented refurb, but to be fair, mine's never packed up, if you find one in good clean condition, chances are it will be fine and dandy.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here